Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HOT FUZZ: The Forum Reviews
Wife Of Rolex
post Feb 6 2007, 02:48 AM
Post #1

Addict

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,423

NOTE FROM CHAPMAN BAXTER: We've decided to turn this thread into the central repository of all the Hot Fuzz reviews scattered across the forum. It has been stitched together using posts from several other threads, so you might notice some odd continuity.

I am going to say something I thought I'd never say. Just over 2 years ago I bought a DVD that contained the digital information which allowed me to watch the film Shaun Of The Dead. Since then I have viewed it to be the best ever film ever made ever. I thought it was very - no, more than that - very very unlikely that a film made after it would come along to surpass it and that has very much been the case...

...until now.

Hot Fuzz is by far the best ever film ever made ever. At least the best ever British film ever made bar SotD. Nothing about this film is a letdown - if anyone says different, they're lying! Everything is on such a level of brilliance it blows anything else out the water. The acting is spot on, the editing is brilliant, the dialogue is superb - not a word or delivery is wrong, the action sequences are both brutal and beautifully shot, the soundtrack is fantastic and the direction - naturally - is wicked, but the over-riding and clear reason this film is so great is the writing. Simon and Edgar haven written a tight and flawless script which has been shot to perfection. They have excelled themselves and should be thoroughly proud of what they've produced. The hard work has paid off and then some.

This is the best I've seen Simon act. He plays it totally straight and it works for the script brilliantly. Simon does a subtle and beautiful job of giving Nicolas Angel screen presence. He's the complete hero and you find yourself falling in love with Nicolas/Simon 10 times over. Nicolas is the ultimate cop and, if handled wrongly, could've come across as an anal so and so. But Simon gives him subtlety, pathos, determination and a sexy physicality. In short...

Nicolas Angel makes Shaft look like a fuckin' Ewok!

The other thing about Nicolas is his touching partnership with Nick's character, Danny Butterman. Nick really comes into his own in Hot Fuzz. As Danny Nick gives him natural comedy to great effect - with particular deft use of timing (just see what he can do when the script is of this quality) but more stunningly, a melancholic tone that shows just how much he's grown as an actor in the slightly heavier scenes.

The blossoming partnership is a joy to watch unfold and you feel a real friendship grow between the characters. While the script doesn't dwell on the schmultzy side of things much it still retains a tenderness that balances out the action and comedy with well thought out design.

The other aspect that screams at you as you watch it - especially so on a big screen - is just how much thought and effort has gone into every shot. The camera work is stunning and right from the opening scene you feel you're in the middle of what's going on. You're in the Sergeant's office, you're on the train with Nicolas, you're in Somerfields. The dialogue too, it's just word perfect. Clever play on words pepper the script and swearing is used as it should be, not for the sake of it. It's just diamond.

There's nothing half-hearted in Hot Fuzz, not even the brief cameos. The plot, too, works fantastically and the pace never lets up. The twists are well done, gore is plenty but not ridiculous and crucially...it's very very VERY funny. Your ears will be shot, your nerves will be blown and your laughing gland will get a firm two footed kick in the face!

If you love Shaun Of The Dead then you'll love this either just as much or even more. Watch this film and LOVE IT!!!

Other things from the film...

- Clever references to Shaun Of The Dead

- He-Man

- Rafe Spall - Damn hot!

- A brilliant nod to Simon and Nick's pub quiz team days

- An 'Oh, was that him!' name in the credits

- Simon in a vest/open shirt - even hotter than Rafe!

- An extra bit of Bill Bailey

- A couple of stalwart Spaced shots

To Simon, Edgar, Nick and everyone else who worked on Hot Fuzz...you're bloody brilliant. biggrin.gif

Wife Of Rolex
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dolfyn
post Feb 6 2007, 03:36 AM
Post #2

Blood's thicker than water, but blood leaves a stain.

Member No.: 4,984

Yeah, but did you like it? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Feb 6 2007, 01:48 PM)
Nicolas Angel makes Shaft look like a fuckin' Ewok! 

Nice twist on a Spaced quote there, Wifey. wink.gif Thanx for the review. cool.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
smile.gif

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Feb 6 2007, 03:44 AM
Post #3

Addict

QUOTE (dolfyn @ Feb 6 2007, 03:36 AM)
Yeah, but did you like it?  tongue.gif

Er...yeah. Yeah, it was alright.

Wife Of Rolex

+Quote Post
Heff
post Feb 6 2007, 05:55 AM
Post #4

Bloody Hell

Member No.: 6,009

excuse me while I have anticipatory palpitations on the floor....

+Quote Post
m0r1arty
post Feb 6 2007, 08:38 AM
Post #5

Feel the Rainbow

From: Sitting between Civil Liberties and the Data Protection Act
Member No.: 3,341

It's almost like waiting for Christmas again when you are wee...

I cannae wait!

-m0r

+Quote Post
Imlovinit
post Feb 6 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #6

Four Pinter

Member No.: 4,410

Great review Wifey! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Feb 6 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #7

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Feb 6 2007, 03:48 AM)
gore is plenty but not ridiculous

HAHAHAHA. Did you go to the toilet during some of it or something? I loved the gore but the whole film is ridiculous, and thats why I loved it so much biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dolfyn
post Feb 6 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #8

Blood's thicker than water, but blood leaves a stain.

Member No.: 4,984

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Feb 6 2007, 09:31 PM)
I loved the gore but the whole film is ridiculous, and thats why I loved it so much biggrin.gif

Well, all action movies are ridiculous if you look at them with cold hard logic. But the good ones make the ridiculous believable. And that's why they're fun. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Feb 6 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (dolfyn @ Feb 6 2007, 11:36 AM)
Well, all action movies are ridiculous if you look at them with cold hard logic. But the good ones make the ridiculous believable. And that's why they're fun.  happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif

True. I think where this film excelled was that the plot, gore, action sequences and shmultzy bits (including the music) were really over the top but because it was deliberate and directly compared to Point Break etc. it made it the whole purpose of the film...if that makes sense.

+Quote Post
curtinparloe
post Feb 6 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #10

All out of mercy today.

Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Feb 6 2007, 10:31 AM)
HAHAHAHA. Did you go to the toilet during some of it or something?

I nearly did during the review.

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Feb 6 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #11

Addict

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Feb 6 2007, 10:31 AM)
HAHAHAHA. Did you go to the toilet during some of it or something? I loved the gore but the whole film is ridiculous, and thats why I loved it so much biggrin.gif

QUOTE (dolfyn @ Feb 6 2007, 10:36 AM)
Well, all action movies are ridiculous if you look at them with cold hard logic. But the good ones make the ridiculous believable. And that's why they're fun.  happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif

Dolfyn pretty much gets what I meant. By ridiculous I meant laughable, which the gore in Hot Fuzz isn't. It's brilliantly done. In some films the gory bits can come across as a bit shit but here it's just right.

Wife Of Rolex

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Feb 6 2007, 12:05 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Feb 6 2007, 12:58 PM)
Dolfyn pretty much gets what I meant. By ridiculous I meant laughable, which the gore in Hot Fuzz isn't. It's brilliantly done. In some films the gory bits can come across as a bit shit but here it's just right.
Wife Of Rolex

I know what you mean, but there was one bit where the gore was stupidly over the top, I think you know which bit I mean, but the unexpectedness of how muchb of it they showed made it hilarious.

And I agree with you that the swearing in the film was only put in when needed and not every other line. Made it much funnier whenever they did swear.

+Quote Post
feckless_dykey_p...
post Feb 6 2007, 12:11 PM
Post #13

South London to Kent. Oh yes.

Member No.: 4,064

Great review, Wifey! I'm on tenterhooks now biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
theevilresident1...
post Feb 6 2007, 12:13 PM
Post #14

I'm Daisy - "writer."

Member No.: 4,220

biggrin.gif

Thanks for a great review!

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Feb 6 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #15

Addict

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Feb 6 2007, 12:05 PM)
I know what you mean, but there was one bit where the gore was stupidly over the top, I think you know which bit I mean, but the unexpectedness of how muchb of it they showed made it hilarious.

And I agree with you that the swearing in the film was only put in when needed and not every other line. Made it much funnier whenever they did swear.

Well yeah, when the... and then... and it...

But still fantastic.

QUOTE (Imlovinit @ Feb 6 2007, 10:13 AM)
Great review Wifey!  smile.gif
QUOTE (feckless_dykey_prostitute @ Feb 6 2007, 12:11 PM)
Great review, Wifey! I'm on tenterhooks now  biggrin.gif
QUOTE (theevilresident101 @ Feb 6 2007, 12:13 PM)
biggrin.gif

Thanks for a great review!

Thanks, glad you like it. I can't tell you how much of it was just swirling around my head on the bus home. I was bursting by the time I got online!

Wife Of Rolex

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 06:26 PM