> HOT FUZZ: The Forum Reviews
Rua
post Feb 8 2007, 12:22 PM
Post #46

Death of The Party

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,801

Anybody hear the news?

Simon Pegg & that lot have a new film out. Hot Fuss or something?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Feb 8 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #47

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 8 2007, 12:14 PM)
That is exactly the point.

I over-reacted in my post above, and for that I apologise, but the gist of what I said after the first sentence still remains.

I don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions as long as they aren't taking side-ways swipes at others whilst doing so.

Now if we can all play nicely, back to Hot Fuzz . . .

I go with those sentiments, but to make it clear I wasn't actually taking a swipe at Luvmusic. Though I can fully appreciate it might have looked that way.

S/he quoted a section of my review that originally was going to use the line about being a miserable bastard, but I chose not to use it as it was probably unnecessarily offensive. As I'd somehow managed to offend someone anyway - in this case Luvmusic - I was trying to say that I needn't have bothered being so cautious. Didn't quite come across that way, though. ph34r.gif Had they not quoted that particular bit I wouldn't have even brought it up.

Wife Of Rolex

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post Feb 10 2007, 01:07 PM
Post #48

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Member No.: 3,821

Hi everyone.
Long time no post.

Went to the Hot Fuzz screening and Q&A session in Bristol last night (and would have gone to the signing, but the bouncers were throwing people through without so much as eye contact with Pegg and Frost, so I cut my losses and went to get a good seat for the screening instead), and I thought I'd share my opinion on the whole thing.
Whilst I'm maybe not in Wifey's best-film-ever-ever-ever camp, I'm probably in a tent on the outskirts of it.
Hot Fuzz is a hugely accomplished piece of work and all involved should feel very proud of themselves. It's really well written, and certainly maintains that Spaced/Shaun of the Dead style that has become Pegg/Wright's trademark. There's plenty of in-jokes for fans and nods to previous works, but certainly nothing that will leave the uninitiated excluded in the way that, say, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back did.
It's paced beautifully, starting out all balls to the wall frenetic, before dropping back to a pedestrian pace to reflect life in sleepy Sandford, slowly building up the tension to a huge climax. Edgar Wright's direction continues to go from strength to strength. His use of montage in this film is nothing short of breath-taking, and he composes shots and scenes like no other. I truly believe that he will one day be considered one of the great directors, right up there with your Tarantinos and your Scorseses.
Simon Pegg also continues to improve. A lot of people said that Shaun of the Dead was Spaced: The Movie in all but name, and whilst I hold that as a very lazy comparison I can see why they've made it. Tim and Shaun share a lot of common ground - slackers, working dead end jobs (until Tim gets his comic book gig), and having trouble adjusting to adult life. Simon's portrayal of Nicholas Angel will not draw similar comparisons. He's a well organised overachiever who can't let the little things slide. What is similar to Shaun and Tim however, and this is a testament to Pegg's on screen charm, is that he makes this character so absolutely loveable. What could come across as an annoying pedant actually comes across as a hero. An aspirational figure even. I found myself watching him and wishing all police officers were like this. I swear, a crack team of highly paid marketing and advertising gurus could not come up with a better PR campaign to make the British police service look this cool. If they'd left a big stack of recruitment forms outside the auditorium I'd have grabbed one on my way out, filled it out in the car park, posted it on the way home, and been sat here today full of regret wondering if I could still get out if it.

A huge part of the charm of this film is Nick Frost flavoured. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Nick Frost is one is the most underrated comedy actors working today. He's neck and neck with guys like Steve Carell when it comes to the ability to steal a scene and make a line with just a little mannerism here and a quirky delivery there. Like Nicholas Angel, Danny Butterman could have been on screen irritant in the wrong hands. He could have been the sort of bumbling side kick thrown in for cheap-laugh comic relief that blights too many films. Instead, in Frost's capable hands, he's the heart of the film. Stupid and oafish and totally fallible, he's an absolute contrast to Angel, but together they're the crime fighting, belly laugh inducing, dream team only Frost and Pegg can make them.

That's part of the beauty of a film like this. Those roles have been tailor made for the actors, and the whole thing feels like a real labour of love. If the Q & A were to be taken literally, the other roles have been written that way too. The film has an awful lot of characters to introduce, maintain, and bring to a resolution, and it could become confusing if not handled deftly. You know what I'm going to say before I say it - They pull it off again. Every one of the characters is well rounded and memorable.
Simon, during the Q & A, acknowledged that so many famous actors were cast, in what could be seen as minor roles, so we can more easily keep track of the plot. It works beautifully, whilst ensuring that everyone on screen is a joy to watch.
The villagers aren't throwaway pastiches, in the way that things like Vicar of Dibley or Jam and Jerusalem paint them, but they will be hugely recognisable to anyone's who's ever wound up in the sticks. The Andies (Considine and Spall) are a real stand out here. Dressed like the Beastie Boys in Sabotage, but with a small town mentality and prejudice, they walk that fine line between being comic relief and being outright villains. It's that they're so cluelessly ridiculous that you can laugh.

If I had to have a gripe, and it's only a minor one, it would be the slightly self-indulgent final act. I'm not saying it's not funny, indeed one act of OAP brutality brought about a roof lifting laugh and a round of applause from the audience, but it is slightly superfluous. I felt that it was a slight concession to an action film audiences expectations, and I suspect a little to the film makers own wish. Even as I'm typing this I realise that it sounds self-satisfied to denounce giving people what they want, but that's not what I'm saying. I just think the final act is a little obvious. I accept that the film had to go there, because of the nature of the genre that they're operating within, so maybe it's just that I'm not a fan of this genre. It's hard to get into without spoiling the film, so I won't.
What I will stress, however, is that as I sat there watching the last twenty or so minutes, thinking 'this was always on the cards', I still had a big stupid grin on my pretentious mug. I still loved ever second of it. I still wanted to stick with it.
As I've just said, overblown action cop flicks aren't really my thing, but I thoroughly enjoyed every second of this one. There's a very good chance I'll go to see this again at the pictures (something which I almost never do), and I really can't recommend it highly enough.
As if I need to say this - do not hesitate in seeing this film. You'll most likely love it.

Round up from the Q & A
  • There will be NO Spaced 3 (Simon gave the guy a packet of Jaffa Cakes for asking the question that had every hardcore slapping his own forehead in pompous disbelief). Although Simon wavered a bit and said "I always say never say never..." he said that the time has passed, it won't be particularly interesting to see those characters now, and it's logistically very difficult.
    Not even "for a one off special like This Life +10". I guess there was an upside to This Life +10 after all!
  • La Triviatta (the pub quiz sitcom Nick and Simon were writing) is no more. It was written, green lit and casting, but got held up due to Nick and Simon having reservations over some of the choices Channel 4 wanted. By the time everyone could agree, Shaun of the Dead was hitting big and the time for La Triviatta had passed. Nick said it was a shame, as they wrote some great jokes together, but they would be "harvested, like organs," and used in their next project.
  • Speaking of which, the next projects from the Holy Trinity (Wright/Pegg/Frost, as I'm now going to refer to them) will be a project written by Simon and Nick, with Edgar involved, but not as director, and then a Simon/Edgar scripted project which Nick will appear in.

The other stuff discussed was specific to the film or the technicalities of making it.
As ever, Simon and Nick come across as really personable and friendly in real life, and make it a pleasure to be a fan of theirs.

+Quote Post
Melll
post Feb 10 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #49

The Cuddly Face Of Heavy Metal

Member No.: 2,283

That's an awesome review there. Pretty much summed up what I thought of the flick too. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
CazBag
post Feb 10 2007, 04:56 PM
Post #50

Four Pinter

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,487

Thanks for the great round-up at Bristol HK. Much appreciated and throughly enjoyed your review.

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Feb 10 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #51

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Member No.: 4,536

Wow, I've never actually seen anyone deregister themselves....It's like watching a vampire burst into flames at the touch of sunlight, albeit a vampire that was right about Michael Jackson.

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Feb 10 2007, 01:07 PM)
I swear, a crack team of highly paid marketing and advertising gurus could not come up with a better PR campaign to make the British police service look this cool. If they'd left a big stack of recruitment forms outside the auditorium I'd have grabbed one on my way out, filled it out in the car park, posted it on the way home, and been sat here today full of regret wondering if I could still get out if it.

I've been in almost that exact situation, but to get out of it all you have to do is phone them up and tell them you're not going to do the swimming test. They actually sound quite sad when you tell them.

I hope that this film doesn't make getting to be a police officer really difficult like the James Bond movie did for MI5/6.

Nice work Krinkle, good to see your face.

+Quote Post
dolfyn
post Feb 10 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #52

Blood's thicker than water, but blood leaves a stain.

Member No.: 4,984

Another review that was a thoroughly enjoyable read. Kudos to you, Krinkle, for being completely honest as well. Thanx for the low-down. smile.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
cool.gif

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Feb 11 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #53

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Feb 10 2007, 01:07 PM)
Whilst I'm maybe not in Wifey's best-film-ever-ever-ever camp, I'm probably in a tent on the outskirts of it.

S'alright. Though, my camp does have working toliet facilities and a cafe so everyone's welcome to pitch up.

Yes...the cafe sells Cornettos.

And guns.

Wife Of Rolex

+Quote Post
Mrs Bisley
post Feb 14 2007, 02:27 PM
Post #54

Rov'rum

Member No.: 4,384

Oh.Sweet.Jesus!

Just saw the first showing in Sheffield this morning!!

Simon. Uniform. wub.gif

HF is awesome!! It wasn't packed full of jokes (which I liked) and the action was awesome!! This is definately Simon, Nick & Edgar at their best! The acting from Simon & Nick is amazing! Proper action heroes as well as their usual, hilarious selves.. and Edgar, flippin' 'eck!! Tbh, I prefer this to Bad Boys 2.. but that's because I'm not a fan of Bad Boys 2...

Hilarious! I would say better than Shaun but I can't compare them.. They're both classics and both very different. Obviously, there's a few references to Shaun but I think they're both awesome and, with Hot Fuzz, they've really done an amazing job!!

Well done, guys.

Bring the noise!

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Feb 14 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #55

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

Nice to see you back on here, if briefly, Kinks! We miss you around these here parts. And a superb review - honest and makes me look forward to the release all the more. Glad the Holy Trinity were their usual lovely selves. As you say, it really is a pleasure (and an honour) to be fans of such nice and deserving people.

+Quote Post
sarkybarker
post Feb 14 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #56

The Tea and Coffee making facilities left a lot to be desired.

Member No.: 5,987

Damn you all! i'm not seeing it until the weekend mad.gif This anticipation is just too much.

Loved your review Mrs Rolex! I'm dead jealous, mind.

This post has been edited by sarkybarker: Feb 14 2007, 07:18 PM

+Quote Post
hardcorepigeon
post Feb 14 2007, 08:38 PM
Post #57

Guests

ARGH!

Just come back from seeing it. 1st showing in crappy little darlington where i live was at 5.50pm. I went, i saw, i laughed...then i nearly cried!!!

One hour in and the bloody projector broke!!!!!

They have given us free passes to come back and see it tomrorow but im still quite annoyed.

review of the 1st hour..

very good..the lovely simon was a bit too serious tho..you have to wait almost an hour to see his wonderful smile! nick is hilarious as usual. So many other funny people in it. just sat there going 'thats her from spaced', 'thats them from SOTD' to my boyfriend. Plenty of laughs, altho it was getting funnier and funnier so i reakon the 2nd half will be even better.

Cant wait to see it 2mrw, just annoyed i couldnt see it all today, but apparently its cos they normally have the film in for 3 days before they play it to the public so they get a practice run, but they only got the film in at 3pm today so didnt get to practice.

Im gonna go to bed soon so 2mrw will come quicker!!!

+Quote Post
Stink_Palm
post Feb 14 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #58

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,456

I am speechless. Utterly speechless.

Let's just say I loved it.

+Quote Post
Stink_Palm
post Feb 14 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #59

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,456

****SPOILERISH******

Does anyone know what the He-Man reference was? People keep talking about it but I obviously missed it.

+Quote Post
MargateSteve
post Feb 14 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #60

One Pinter

Member No.: 2,235

QUOTE (Stink_Palm @ Feb 14 2007, 11:44 PM)
****SPOILERISH******

You have been PM'd!
Steve

This post has been edited by MargateSteve: Feb 14 2007, 11:49 PM

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:08 PM