Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HOT FUZZ: The Forum Reviews
MargateSteve
post Feb 15 2007, 12:11 AM
Post #61

One Pinter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,235

Well we did not have such projector problems but after getting there at 8pm to buy one of the handful of tickets left and being told it was a 9pm prompt start with no trailers, adverts etc I was a bit annoyed when we were kept waiting until at least ten past. Don't they realise how long we had been waiting???
Anyhoo, as hardcorepigeon summised, the second half is a lot funnier and more action packed than the first and although I did leave with a bit of a feeling of indifference that could well have been because I expected too much.
Don't get me wrong, I did really enjoy it (and so did the missus who although enjoys Spaced and tolerated SotD is not a Pegg/Wright obsessive like the rest of us) but I was probably thinking it would be as similar to Shaun as Shaun felt to Spaced at the time (although the missus, who as I type has suddenly started developing some sort of opinion of her own and has said that she felt this was more Spacedy than Shaun, quote "well it was more flashy angles and stuff" which I believe means Edgar's use of such camera movements as the whip and the like) but I think this was pretty diverse from their past work.
Right, aside from my personal opinions of what I was expecting and got, the laugh out loud moments are right up there with the best of them. Although, of the top off my head I cannot recall any brand new instantly quotable lines, some of the one-liners where hilarious.
The storyline is quite a strong and intricate one, far more than expected but for obvious reasons I will not dwell on that for now.
I was also surprised at the running time. My watch said that it was two hours in total which is not common for a comedy. I wonder if it was planned like that or there was just so much they could not drop.
The highlight for us though, had to be, the fact that for us two child-like people who constantly try to find lookalikes (in fact I got told off for looking too much before the film started) we were sitting right behind an almost spot-on Nick Frost-a-like. If this man was not his brother I would be very surprised. Jack Black and Carl from Shameless also appeared to be in but they were inferior look-a-likes to Nicks.
Finally two questions.........
1. There was talk on here a couple of weeks back about a surprising cameo. Who was this as I saw no-one of note that I did not already know was in it.
2. What was the full list of Spaced/SotD references. The ones I recall (being careful not to have spoilers) fences, cold snack and dvd.

Right thats it. A good film which, although at the moment does not seem as rewatchable as Spaced/SotD is still as couple of hours of entertainment and hilarity.
Steve
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Feb 15 2007, 12:36 AM
Post #62

I got feet but I'm not a foetus.

Member No.: 6,052

yea....i just got back from seeing Hot Fuzz...WOW what can i say...it really didnt disappoint and the 2 hours flew by far too quickly!!!
It really was worth the wait, but i'm not going to defend it with "terminal intensity" tongue.gif so i'll try and write an objective review of the things which i thought were good and not quite so good. (notice i definitely didn't say bad!)
This is not necessarliy a bad point, but it does seem to take a little while to get going, introducing the characters (which is done surprisingly well considering there are so many) and setting the story up, but when it does get going, boy, does it and the final half hour is absolutely brilliant!!!
Some great gags, one-liners and hilarious moments, but i have to say...i probably didn't laugh quite as much as during Shaun...Don't get me wrong, the comedy is still great, but i think the whole concept of Shaun was just funnier in general...zombies and some ordinary blokes trying to deal with them...whereas this is a take on a police action movie, which doesn't automatically evoke humour. They create the humour regularly and to great effect with a really well written script and plotline, and some parts were really laugh-out-loud funny, but i just felt that the laughs came a little thicker and faster in Shaun!
Having said that, this does not detract from the film as a whole at all, because more than being a funny movie...its an action movie!!!!
Edgar has excelled himself even further this time, the action sequences are fantastic!...insanely exhilarating and fabulously intense, whilst still maintaining humour, they are fantastically gratuitous and o.t.t in a way that would make Hollywood directors green with envy! You can feel the hard work and care gone into every second and visibly see the attention to detail, along with great camera work and editing, which can be seen not just in the action sequences, but throughout the film, particularly with what are now the typical "Wright-style" sequences he does so well! (you'll know what i mean!).....Absolutely excellent! (12 smiley faces and nine gold stars to Edgar!)..........oh and the gruesome bits are beautifully grim too (great fx!!)
However, the cast really need to be commended too. Particularly, i felt, Timothy Dalton, Paddy Considine and Jim Broadbent, as well as Simon and Nick, who were both on top form. It was good to see Simon in a slightly more "serious" role, it really developed a different kind of warmth between his and Nick's characters, who are definitely a fantastic partnership in the "buddy movie" sense!
To sum up, the guys have taken the action/cop movie genre by the scruff of its neck and beaten it repeatedly against something hard and pointy until its well and truly theirs! Certain movies in particular which the guys have mentioned are noticeable influences, but this isn't a homage to other films or a plagiarism of other people's ideas...its a genuinely funny, action-packed and original take on a genre which you can sense the guys obviously love so much just by watching!
Brilliantly well done boys!.....i'm off to get caught by the fuzz again at the weekend!! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by melzilla: Feb 15 2007, 12:58 AM

+Quote Post
Kirst008
post Feb 15 2007, 12:48 AM
Post #63

One Pinter

Member No.: 2,323

Last film I watched was Hot Fuzz, as I work in a cinema I got to see it this morning before the public were able to see it at our cinema lol

Its an awesome film! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Feb 15 2007, 03:00 AM
Post #64

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE (sarkybarker @ Feb 14 2007, 07:16 PM)
Loved your review Mrs Rolex! I'm dead jealous, mind.

Bless you. smile.gif

Wife Of Rolex

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Feb 15 2007, 03:13 AM
Post #65

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

Hot Fuzz.

It was crap!

Wife Of Rolex

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Feb 15 2007, 09:37 AM
Post #66

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

Saw it last night. Awesomeness. I was wondering how they'd get the action into the village. They managed it very nicely. And how gory??! I wasn't expecting that at all.

+Quote Post
Rua
post Feb 15 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #67

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

Hot Fuzz

Spoiler Free. So it'll be short.

Ok then.

As advertised this is an enjoyable cop romp. Directed splendidly by Mr Wright, who truly does squeeze the look & feel of your bog standard action movie into the peculiar surroundings of rural Sandford rather well. Frost once again steals the show with Dalton a close second.

So why not Pegg a close second I hear you cry?

Well, after all the talk of Pegg playing it straight (which he does do to certain extent) & how much it was such a different role for him, I was slightly disappointed to find a straight laced Tim Bisley in one of his characteristic bad moods dressed in a cop uniform. He is very good but just don't expect your perception to be stretched. Only one other word of warning, not all the gags are killer folks.

All in all though I really enjoyed it & would go again, which I very rarely do.

Cornetto sales will rise once more.

This post has been edited by Rua: Feb 15 2007, 11:07 AM

+Quote Post
ayeyerma
post Feb 15 2007, 05:21 PM
Post #68

I'm Kevin Bacon!

Member No.: 5,219

Hot Fuzz

Apart from having to sit in the front row which made it difficult to take in the action, it was pure quality, and I caught a homage that made me nostalgic for my childhood.

I personally don't think it's better than SOTD but that's probably because I prefer zombie movies to cop/action/buddy movies.

I always said Timothy Dalton ruled.

+Quote Post
Sean of the Dead
post Feb 15 2007, 05:50 PM
Post #69

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Member No.: 2,924

Hot Fuzz
Very, very good.

+Quote Post
thefunkyinuit
post Feb 15 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #70

Guests

effin excellent! the best film i've seen since shaun of the dead rolleyes.gif the only thing lacking was zombies...but i think everything should have zombies in it.....seriously though, its genius and i wanna watch it again already biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Dorf
post Feb 16 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #71

Hey-O Hey-O

Member No.: 2,356

Hot Fuzz
We had awful seats in the front left corner (so much so that in some of the dialogue I had to move my head left and right as if at Wimbledon), and I felt like I was going to explode after getting a few beers beforehand and forgetting the loo.

Enjoyed the film though, and the fact I probably missed a fair few references and background jokes because I was struggling to focus on huge heads means I'll have plenty to enjoy when I watch it on DVD sometime.

Edited: Oh and in the adverts beforehand I was accused of having both written and directed Outlaw with Sean Bean as a recruitment film.

This post has been edited by Dorf: Feb 16 2007, 12:48 PM

+Quote Post
sleeping_pirate
post Feb 16 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #72

If I was young, I'd flee this town

Member No.: 3,052

Hot Fuzz

I never thought I would say this, but..... it's better than Shaun.

+Quote Post
Drifter
post Feb 16 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 5,387

QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Feb 16 2007, 01:46 PM)
Hot Fuzz

I never thought I would say this, but..... it's better than Shaun.

Some people have found it to be on the long side but personally I thought it was great

+Quote Post
hardcorepigeon
post Feb 16 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #74

Guests

Finally saw the whole film!

That was amazing. Was my 1st ever action film aswell (i was kinda stuck in a 'ill only watch films that make me laugh' thing until SOTD, now i watch horrors aswell) but i came out of that on an adreniline rush from seeing my 1st ever car chase. And for the 1st time in my life i have actually thought 'wow...guns are cool!'

My boyfriend asked me if id like to see something else with pointless gun battles and explosions...i was well up for it...so he brought out DIE HARD!

Im 23 and have just seen Die Hard for the 1st time...loved that too!

Thankyou Simon and Edgar...thats another fine genre you've got me into.

*bang*
*runs around the room doing pointless commando rolls*
*bang*

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Feb 16 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #75

I got feet but I'm not a foetus.

Member No.: 6,052

^ Welcome to a world of pain! ^ laugh.gif