IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DURAN DURAN vs ADAM & THE ANTS, Style over substance?
Which do you like best?
Which do you like best?
DURAN DURAN [ 10 ] ** [30.30%]
ADAM & THE ANTS [ 18 ] ** [54.55%]
Both a bunch of ponces [ 5 ] ** [15.15%]
Total Votes: 33
Guests cannot vote 
Sostie
post Feb 12 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #1

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

This week, early 80's make-up 'n' pop groups

DURAN DURAN
Five Brummie lads in make-up write songs about science fiction then being part of the international jet set. Made lots of flashy videos (and a very rude one). Girls screamed and models swooned. Split up briefly to form two other bands. Lead singer went into sailing and sank his ship.

ADAM & THE ANTS
Five piece punk band introduce Burundi drums to their sound and seem to visit the Shopkeeper from Mr Benn before each single release. Made lots of flashy (and cheap videos). Lead singer went solo, turned to acting and then went a bit doolally with a gun in a Camden pub.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Feb 12 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #2

You do scribble

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,423

Has to be Duran Duran. They were the quintessential 80s band, and their songs stand up even today; they ranged from preposterous pop cheese (Girls On Film) to epic emotive anthems (Ordinary World), and lets not forget one of the greatest Bond themes ever.

I was never too keen on Adam & The Ants. It bothered me as a child that someone else called Adam made music I didn't like.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Feb 12 2007, 11:16 AM
Post #3

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

NO-NO-NOTORIOUS!

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Feb 12 2007, 11:44 AM
Post #4

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

For Adam & The Ants...
First two LPs are brilliant, some really good drumming records, some silly dances, the classic Goody Two Shoes

For Duran Duran...
Brilliant debut album & Seven and The Ragged Tiger. Arcadia were pretty bloody good too. Damn fine live act

I cannae decide. So I will use the "Hip hop " angle to make my decision...

Adam & The Ants achieve success with one of the first white rap records.

Duran Duran cover White Lines, with disastrous results.

Adam by a nose.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Feb 12 2007, 12:05 PM
Post #5

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

I was always an avid fan of the Ants, as they were daring and unconventional at the time, and even though most of their material has dated badly some of it still sounds thrilling to this day. I much preferred his solo stuff anyway. But as a fan of the Duran as well, I have to concur with Senor Jessop's comments about them. They had greater commercial longevity and accessibility and knocked out some cracking pop tunes, and proved their worth by producing a 1993 comeback album that was far superior to their heyday material. 'Ordinary World' is bloody flawless in my opinion - the short-lived Ants would never have produced anything even remotely approaching that level of quality.

The Reflex, fle-fle-fle-fle-flex!

It's a close run thing really, since I generally listen more to the Ants than Duran, but the Brummie lads get my vote.

Just.

Maybe.

Oh I don't bloody know. Are we including Adam's solo material in the voting judgement package? If so, I'm bloody torn now. I haven't cast my vote yet.

PS - (good point Rua) - Stand And Deliver was the first record I owned, I bought all the Ants albums, and only the greatest hits and Wedding Album by the Durans. Shouldn't have been that difficult a choice to make really should it?

I feel bad for doubting the Anty ones.

This post has been edited by Ade: Feb 12 2007, 12:21 PM

+Quote Post
Rua
post Feb 12 2007, 12:10 PM
Post #6

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

Duran Duran had greater success & will be remembered more favourably because of that.

I just prefer Adam & The Ants. Ant Music was the first record I ever had. It wasn't even vinyl it was like an old style floppy disc.
I didn't buy it, (as I was 3), but I do remember getting it free with Rice Krispies.

This post has been edited by Rua: Feb 12 2007, 12:11 PM

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Feb 12 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #7

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

Adam and The Ants for me. Deutscher Girls, Antmusic, Young Parisans, Dog Eat Dog, Prince Charming, Stand and Deliver...I could go on. They're all classics. They also seem to pick up a new set of fans with each passing generation which I don't think Duran Duran quite match. DD may have had the wider world success and lasted longer but AATA are still the only act to have 5 singles in the Top 75 simultaneously.

Plus I quite like the fact they were only really around of a short time as it adds to their pop mysticalness. Adam Ant was a visually creative and inspiring character, while Simon Le Bon was just a bit smart. Duran Duran fulfilled their potential and drained it slightly dry while Adam and The Ants still have that slight air of what could've been despite the huge success they actually briefly had. I enjoy that sense of whistful unresolved romanticism.

Wife Of Rolex

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Feb 12 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #8

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

Duran Duran. They have more longevity, and their songs are still pretty credible, unlike Adam's stuff.

+Quote Post
maian
post Feb 12 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #9

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Adam And The Ants for me. I like Duran Duran's stuff but I remember listening to Adam and The Ants a lot more when I was a kid. They also get my vote because one of my favourite memories is of putting ''Prince Charming'' on a jukebox in a bowling alley and every person in the place doing the dance, almost perfectly choreographed.

This post has been edited by maian: Feb 12 2007, 02:34 PM

+Quote Post
ayeyerma
post Feb 12 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #10

I'm Kevin Bacon!

Member No.: 5,219

Adam and the Ants. Pure unadulterated fun. And he was hot in his heyday.

+Quote Post
logger
post Feb 12 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #11

Guests

Adam and the Ants for sheer Diana Dors fag-haggery.

+Quote Post
purple prole
post Feb 12 2007, 07:08 PM
Post #12

Feeling kinda high like a Hendrix haze

Member No.: 5,150

Adam and the Ants for me, for the great memories at school discos. Plus I've always thought they made music for themselves first, and weren't too fussed if it sold or not.

In Duran's favour they did produce some class tracks. Ordinary World is my mobile's ringtone.

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Feb 12 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #13

We gotta make the planet safe for the kiddies

Member No.: 2,367

Well, I'm the gulfcoast_highwayman and you're too scared to mention,

I choose Adam & The Ants and here's why I've gone in that direction....

When I first started to become a bit more savvy about pop music Adam & The Ants were huge and I thought they were brilliant.

The Duran boys were a bit to uncool for me back then, although I love most of their stuff now.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Feb 12 2007, 07:52 PM
Post #14

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

adam and the ants. i'm not even that keen on them, but i absolutely fucking despise duran duran. as in to the point where i want them off the earth and all memory of them deleted.

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Feb 12 2007, 07:54 PM
Post #15

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

I like both of them equally I think, Duran Duran pander to my liking of slightly overblown eighties-ness and the Ants to something which seems (to me at least) a little more credible and arty.) Playlists aren't really complete without either.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 09:51 AM