Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HOT FUZZ: The Post Mortem, Let's pick some nits
hardcorepigeon
post Feb 22 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #16

Guests

People are saying it didnt work too well as an action film.

Well...to be honest, i cant really comment on the action side of it...having never seen an action film before seeing Hot Fuzz.

But what i can tell you is that the car chases and gun battles really gave me an adreniline rush. I have never felt that way watching a film. I watched the 2nd half (where all the action is) desperate for the bad guys to fall and for the cops to win. I thought the car chase was excellent. Flashing quickly between all the actors and the cars from different angles...really made you feel the speed of the chase. (and Danny shouting *bang* as he fired his gun was hilarious)

When we got out of the cinema i was buzzing from the adreniline rush and i mentioned it to my boyfriend...he said its alright as thats what your supposed to get from an action film.

I then went home and watched what my boyfriend claims to be one of the best action films of all time..Die Hard. And i felt that same feeling of wanting the bad guys to fall and John Mclean to kick arse! I felt the same way about the gun battles as i did at the ones in Hot Fuzz...altho no car chases.

Personally, i think that the action part was amazing...and im surprised not everyone felt like this, but i think the feeling i got would have been the same feeling everyone else had as kids when you saw your 1st ever action film...i just happened to be 23 when i saw one.

Sorry if i rambled, i just loved it smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Feb 22 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #17

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (hardcorepigeon @ Feb 22 2007, 07:30 PM)
I then went home and watched what my boyfriend claims to be one of the best action films of all time..Die Hard.

You've taken your first step into a bigger world.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Feb 22 2007, 09:22 PM
Post #18

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

My only possible gripe with the movie (& it's not a big one) is the action part at the end.... don't get me wrong, I loved the gun fights & all that,... it's just it seems like the part of the movie where jokes were thin on the ground. SOTD did well to bring on the horror at the end & keep the jokes thick & fast. ... & what jokes HF has are funny... but there's fewer i think.

Oh yeah & for an action movie, there wasn't much of a body count! wink.gif

+Quote Post
maian
post Feb 22 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #19

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Did anyone else notice the significance of the books Bill Bailey reads? I was dead chuffed to notice the Iain Banks/Iain M. Banks reference, especially since it gave an early clue to the fact he was playing twins.

I thought the action sequences were quite well done but, having seen more than my fair share of action films over the years, they did seem a bit tame. A minor gripe but one that has preyed on my mind.

+Quote Post
m0r1arty
post Feb 23 2007, 02:03 PM
Post #20

Feel the Rainbow

From: Sitting between Civil Liberties and the Data Protection Act
Member No.: 3,341

Where's my comb?

Sound effects and snappy shots - that's my only beef.

And there could have been more jokes nearer the beginning.

I reckon they did a marvellous job of it all, however, I think the edge has gone when it comes to sharp contemporary culture references, it's gone blunt by falling victim to its own fame.

I blame it on Morgan myself. Needless cameo, same goes for Steve Coogan. and maybe the hype surrounding it - luvvie shit can go and watch a West End play with a swear word in the title. These things happen at the top though, look how crap BBC comedy is these days.

Everything else was magic though.

Now guys, when's Series 3 coming to our screens?

Or just a spinoff show like Joey, called Brian or Tupp.

-m0r

+Quote Post
soundsofdespair
post Feb 23 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #21

Guests

The first time I saw the movie, I felt the ending was lacking something, perhaps because of the change of pace, though not because of the directing/editing (which I really enjoyed - Edgar is genius!).
After watching it a few more times, i've come to see the ending as my part, mostly because it is so explosive and adventurous and huge. Maybe others will start to feel the same.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Feb 24 2007, 05:46 PM
Post #22

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

I'd like to retract my previous statement about the quick cuts. I think I was just to close to the screen at the time. I had no issue with it on a second viewing.

I still think it's fantastic smile.gif

And it was wonderful to sit next to Zeden and have us be the only 2 people who laughed at "Yeah Roy!" as it was a nice reference to Shaun of the Deads "Yeah boy!" which is something me and Zeden say a lot.

+Quote Post
canadave
post Feb 25 2007, 06:01 AM
Post #23

One Pinter

Member No.: 5,031

Count another vote against the editing. It's not unique to Hot Fuzz, either--why is it that so many action sequences in movies are shown with such shaking camerawork and fast-paced cuts, that you can't even follow what's happening? I mean, why not just make the screen go completely dark and just let us listen to the audio if you don't want us to see what's going on? So frustrating!!

One other minor gripe that's already been mentioned is that the shots that showed about 15 different points of view in three seconds (like the mugshot scenes) got repetitive and disorientating after a while. Once, twice, three times--fine. Fifteen times--not so fine. We could've done with less of that I think.

Other than that, I thought it was a fairly good movie, and definitely great fun to see the Spaced gang in action again. I don't think it was an amazing movie or a great movie, but definitely one I wouldn't feel bad about seeing again.

Interesting that Jessica Stevenson and Mark Heap were nowhere to be found. Are they both otherwise engaged? I haven't kept track....I thought it would've been awesome to have Jessica play the female cop part.

+Quote Post
Llama
post Feb 25 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #24

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

QUOTE (canadave @ Feb 25 2007, 06:01 AM)
Are they both otherwise engaged?

Mark was supposed to be in it, but was replaced by Kevin Eldon due to back injury.

+Quote Post
sarkybarker
post Feb 25 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #25

The Tea and Coffee making facilities left a lot to be desired.

Member No.: 5,987

QUOTE (Jubei @ Feb 22 2007, 01:53 PM)
I can 100% see the problem that people have with the editing.  2 things annoyed me.  The constant use of the hand on door know, open locker, pull out jacket, close locker, police siren type bits.  It could have been done a bit less.  Just cause it's a homage to general action movie styles doesn't necassarily make it improve the movie.  The other thing I didn't like was the repeated mug-shot scenes.  That also started to feel a bit over-used by the end of the film.

Without wishing to be rude Jubei, you complain about overuse of editing in Hot Fuzz and yet, judging by your avater you are a fan of Green Wing - where speeding up occurs between every single bloody scene! (And may i note, adds nothing to proceedings).

Don't get me wrong i understand why people could find it annoying, or too in your face (HF is very loud in the cinema!) but i love it. It's adds to the experience and the atmosphere in my humble opinion.

I will agree with someone elses statement (apologies, can't remember who) about getting A-list British Actors/comedians in when someone else could easily fill such little roles. I was dubious when the likes of Bill nighy were announced for Fuzz. Much as i loved SOTD, it felt a little like they felt like they needed big names to help them succeed. That surely wouldn't have been the case this time round?

This post has been edited by sarkybarker: Feb 25 2007, 10:23 PM

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Feb 25 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #26

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Member No.: 4,536

Jubei is talking about quick cuts, not the quirky speeded up movement you see in Greenwing. It didn't really bother me here but it wasn't as cleverly used as it was in Shaun. In Shaun the "tooling up motif" that these quick cuts created, borrowed from action movie preperation fror battle scenes, was juxtaposed with the banal activity and suburban setting. It works the same way here but not to the same effect because the distance between the type of activity and setting we expect to see these shots used in and the ones they are used in was not as great.

This post has been edited by empathy-with-beast: Feb 25 2007, 10:44 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post Feb 25 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #27

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Feb 25 2007, 10:33 PM)
Jubei is talking about quick cuts, not the quirky speeded up movement in you see in Greenwing. It didn't really bother me here but it wasn't as cleverly used as it was in Shaun. In Shaun the "tooling up motif" that these quick cuts created, borrowed from action movie preperation fror battle scenes, was juxtaposed with the banal activity and suburban setting. It works the same way here but not to the same effect because the distance between the type of activity and setting we expect to see these shots used in and the ones they are used in were not as great.

I really liked the tooling up sequences in Shaun for much the same reason. I also thought they were brilliantly implemented because they were used so sparingly, making their impact greater because they were surrounded by lots of tracking shots and long takes. Whereas in Hot Fuzz they can be overused a tad and, for me, that lessened their impact when I first saw the film. They didn't annoy me on subsequent viewings, but on the first watch I found them rather disorientating.

+Quote Post
Ghost_862
post Feb 25 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #28

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 2,633

I pretty much agree with you guys.

Comedically it was on the mark. I would also refute all these reviews saying it was too long. I don't really see what they are supposed to have cut out? It all seems relevant to me.

My only problem was the action scenes. Sometimes the editing and shakey cam made it so disorientating that I was no longer inside the film. It broke the fourth wall. I was sort of blinking a few times and resting my eyes, thinking about the how editing was annoying me, whereas I should have been engrossed in the action. As it was, I could barely see the action at all. It was all a blur.

Finally, like others have pointed out, Shaun of the Dead fused comedy and horror perfectly. I felt like Hot Fuzz started out as a comedy/whodunnit then turned into an action film for the last twenty minutes. There was little or no action throughout. It didn't seamlessly blend the genres like SOTD did.

I loved it, though, don't get me wrong. I've seen it twice, I'll buy the DVD and I'll still be at any London signing.

This post has been edited by Ghost_862: Feb 25 2007, 11:04 PM

+Quote Post
mcraigclark
post Feb 25 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #29

I'm a poncey thrush.

Member No.: 5,057

QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ Feb 25 2007, 06:02 PM)
It didn't seamlessly blend the genres like SOTD did.

To be fair, SoTD has a rather abrupt change in tone in the last twenty minutes too.

+Quote Post
Ghost_862
post Feb 25 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #30

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 2,633

QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Feb 25 2007, 11:05 PM)
To be fair, SoTD has a rather abrupt change in tone in the last twenty minutes too.

That's a fair comment, I suppose.

But I don't personally feel it was as glaringly obvious as it was in Hot Fuzz.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 12:20 AM