Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Music news, News of a musical variety
Gimp
post Mar 3 2007, 07:37 PM
Post #1

Grrrrr

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,542

There didn't seem to be a general news thread for things that didn't quite deserve their own post.

In that spirit, I give you:

02 Mar 2007

Divine Comedy Left Labeless!

It's been confirmed today, the day after winning the coveted Choice Music Prize, that Divine Comedy have officially parted ways with their record company.

A Dublin spokesman for EMI confirmed today that they have not been working with Divine Comedy since last year.

After leaving the Setanta label, Hannon signed to EMI, with 2001's Regeneration as their first release, which was a top 20 hit in the UK.

Together, the artist and label went on to release Absent Friends in 2003 and Victory For The Comic Muse in 2006, for which Hannon won the Choice Music Prize accolade on Wednesday.

Usurprisingly, all in Neil's camp are not fazed by the annoucement. Hannon's manager, Natalie de Pace, said: "Yes, the deal with EMI is at an end but its all very amicable and we haven't ruled out the idea of doing something with them at some point in the future.

"Meanwhile things with Neil are all very exciting. There's the Choice Music Prize, which Neil is blown away about winning. He's contributed to the Air album which is out in late March. He's also writing for a whole load of different things, including the new series of Graham Linehan's IT Crowd and he's working on a theatre project with the National Theatre in London.

The redoing of his back catalogue should be finished this year at some point ready for re-release, and when he's done all that there's a new Divine Comedy album to write.. It's busy!"

The Hot Press Newsdesk

I don't think it's too worrysome. Let's hope wherever he goes next, they'll actually publicise his work.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 5 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #2

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Best band in Sheffield with ''Monkey'' in their name Monkey Swallows The Universe have signed to Loose Records and are due to release their second album ''The Casket Letters'' this summer. Since their debut is only available in six shops in the entirety of England they will hopefully get a wider audience this time around.

The band are also touring this month and next and I highly recommend you go and see them if they are near you. They are a really spellbinding act.

Tour Details

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Mar 5 2007, 01:07 PM
Post #3

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (Gimp @ Mar 3 2007, 07:37 PM)
I don't think it's too worrysome. Let's hope wherever he goes next, they'll actually publicise his work.

He's a busy bunny, is our Neil. Series Two of IT Crowd, and the music he's doing for the NYT.

He might even start his own label. After all, not liking much publicity, and hating releasing singles isn't exactly going to have the record companies falling over themselves to sign him.

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Mar 22 2007, 09:55 AM
Post #4

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

Proclaimers Interview

Good to see the lads doing well again.

Not that they ever really weren't, of course.

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Mar 22 2007, 09:35 PM
Post #5

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

6 Music are reporting that The Darkness are over in their current incarnation but will continue to release and record under a new name and without Justin Hawkins.

Well, that was a bit of a flash in the pan wasn't it?

+Quote Post
Ade
post Mar 22 2007, 09:49 PM
Post #6

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 22 2007, 09:55 AM)
Proclaimers Interview

Good to see the lads doing well again.

Not that they ever really weren't, of course.

Indeed. The Speccy Twins have been churning out consistently excellent material for ages.

This post has been edited by Ade: Mar 22 2007, 09:49 PM

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Apr 25 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #7

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

Fuuuuck! Patrick Wolf announces retirement from music.

He says he's sick of the touring and "being cross-examined". I think this is just post-tour fatigue talking. He strikes me as the sort of musician who makes music not because they can, but because they have to so I think he'll be making music again before long. It would be a tragedy if he didn't, frankly.

+Quote Post
SkipToTheEnd
post Apr 26 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #8

Young Roberts could not face another moussaka

Member No.: 3,477

cant see it happening.... whenever people say that theyre always back 6months later. Its not like hes dead rich or anything either, whats he got to fall back on? And surely if its the publicity he dislikes he can just make music and not tour it, even if it has to be on a less pushy label....

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 28 2007, 09:59 AM
Post #9

Bully for you

QUOTE (SkipToTheEnd @ Apr 26 2007, 01:04 AM)
cant see it happening.... whenever people say that theyre always back 6months later. Its not like hes dead rich or anything either, whats he got to fall back on? And surely if its the publicity he dislikes he can just make music and not tour it, even if it has to be on a less pushy label....

He says he has ''other projects'' he wants to work on, so he might go into film or theatre or something that will keep him occupied. If anyone was going to quit from music and really mean it, I get the feeling Patrick Wolf would be the one.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Apr 29 2007, 12:58 AM
Post #10

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

QUOTE (Stella MM @ Mar 22 2007, 10:35 PM)
Well, that was a bit of a flash in the pan wasn't it?

This pan flash actually lasted longer than I'd anticipated.

+Quote Post
SkipToTheEnd
post Apr 29 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #11

Young Roberts could not face another moussaka

Member No.: 3,477

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 28 2007, 09:59 AM)
He says he has ''other projects'' he wants to work on, so he might go into film or theatre or something that will keep him occupied. If anyone was going to quit from music and really mean it, I get the feeling Patrick Wolf would be the one.

...and sure enough, Wolf categorically denies quitting rumour: http://www.nme.com/news/patrick-wolf/27983

Sample quote, ''For me to say I was going to quit music is like saying I'm going to commit suicide,"

told ya so...

This post has been edited by SkipToTheEnd: Apr 29 2007, 10:30 AM

+Quote Post
sarkybarker
post May 7 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #12

The Tea and Coffee making facilities left a lot to be desired.

Member No.: 5,987

Status Quo have named their next tour....

THE QUEST FOR THE FOURTH CHORD!

If they hadn't blagged it for forty years i would almost find it funny.

+Quote Post
Ade
post May 8 2007, 03:15 PM
Post #13

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

Prince is to perform 7 nights (between August 1st - 14th) at 'The O2' in Greenwich. That'll be around/on my birthday! Yay!

It'll probably be sold out by the time I get tickets booked knowing my luck.

+Quote Post
maian
post May 8 2007, 04:19 PM
Post #14

Bully for you

Looks like both New Order and Larrikin Love have called it a day. New Order doesn't really surprise me since Hookey and Sumner never got on brilliantly at the best of times but Larrikin Love is a bit odd. Bands these days, eh, no stamina.

+Quote Post
Ghost_862
post May 8 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #15

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 2,633

QUOTE (Ade @ May 8 2007, 03:15 PM)
Prince is to perform 7 nights (between August 1st - 14th) at 'The O2' in Greenwich. That'll be around/on my birthday! Yay!

It'll probably be sold out by the time I get tickets booked knowing my luck.

Don't worry, there are another fourteen dates to be announced, all in London as well. And they will be at smaller venues, his website says.

I MUST get tickets. I will have seen my 'three to see'.

Seen Mister Jackson.
Seen Mister Brown.
Now it's down to Mister Nelson to complete the three.

But yea, if you miss out on the O2 then there is still hope for those other fourteen shows, wherever and whenever they turn out to be.

It says he's playing smaller venues to make seeing him 'affordable to everybody'. Although it also says on his site that all tickets will cost 31.21 so I don't see how smaller venues make him more affordable :S

31.21 is pretty cheap for Prince. ESPECIALLY given that you get a copy of his new CD with every ticket.

+Quote Post

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 11:38 PM