IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SMITH vs. WRIGHT, The Director's cut...
Pick your Favourite Director
Pick your Favourite Director
Edgar Wright [ 27 ] ** [71.05%]
Kevin Smith [ 11 ] ** [28.95%]
Total Votes: 38
Guests cannot vote 
empathy-with-bea...
post Mar 26 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #16

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,536

You know what? I sort of don't like Edgar Wright movies. Well, it's not like I dislike them, it's just I'm not bothered about them. Hott Fuzz especially is just a lot of vaguely referency jokes and only a month or so it fades from my memory in much the same way as Confetti did except it was actually funny at the time. At least at the time when you watched Clerks there was this thing where you felt that no one had represented the people that you saw on screen before, in much the same way as Spaced did. I don't think any of his films push back any boundries. But then I would only really make that claim for Clerks and possibly Mallrats.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Mar 26 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #17

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

Wright, hands down.

As for Smith, if I wanted to listen to a bunch of nerdy stoners prattle on for hours on end I'd enroll in art school.

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Mar 27 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #18

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Almost none of the central characters are stoners. The stoner characters are always sidelined figures. With the exception of Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back of course which is an awful film with a few redeeming jokes.

This post has been edited by empathy-with-beast: Mar 27 2007, 12:03 AM

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Mar 27 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #19

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Mar 27 2007, 12:03 AM)
Almost none of the central characters are stoners. The stoner characters are always sidelined figures.

And thank fuck for that...I hate stoner comedies. Mainly because stoners aren't funny. Except The Dude.

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Mar 27 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #20

I got feet but I'm not a foetus.

Member No.: 6,052

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Mar 26 2007, 11:58 PM)
Wright, hands down.

As for Smith, if I wanted to listen to a bunch of nerdy stoners prattle on for hours on end I'd enroll in art school.

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Mar 27 2007, 12:03 AM)
Almost none of the central characters are stoners. The stoner characters are always sidelined figures. With the exception of Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back of course which is an awful film with a few redeeming jokes.

At art school, however, you can't bloody move for nerdy stoners laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Mar 27 2007, 01:18 AM
Post #21

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

Im with Lewis on Wright's films in a sense, I think theyre very good, but I don't think they're that special and I certainly don't have the affection for either of his features that I have for 'Spaced'.

'Shaun of the Dead' is a solid four star film, entertaining and very rewatchable. 'Hot Fuzz' I still haven't totally formed my opinion on, and it didn't make a massive impact on me, though it was entertaining. I think I'll like it more on a second viewing when I can be less analytical.

'Clerks' is a great piece example of a passion piece, it's all about the quality of the script and the love that's been poured into it. 'Mallrats' is one of my favourite films of all time. I appreciate that it's not the most acclaimed of Smith's output; but I was blown away when I first saw it. So funny, so clever, so entertaining and so chock full of references I appreciated. If there was ever a film made for a 14 year old me, that was it. I also love 'Chasing Amy' and really appreciate the leap Smith made from his previous two films to focus more on character and relationship (not that 'Mallrats wasn't hella romantic, Brodie Bruce is my dream boyfriend). It's a clever, unusual and very witty romantic comedy that's also vulgar and balls out funny. I saw 'Dogma' at the cinema when I was at university, I dragged a group of my first year friends there and I was so proud I did. After raving about Smith to them for months they too really enjoyed what was again a massive progression for him. I think it's a real and satirical comment on organised religion, it's as daring as any film has been on the subject since 'Life of Brian'.

At that point (and bearing in mind I had only seen one Wes Anderson film at this stage) I was confident in Kevin Smith being my favourite director, and that defined my film tastes to some extent. 'Jay and Silent Bob' came out and I thoroughly enjoyed it, although I recognised that it was a massive indulgence on Smith's part. I tempered any disappointment, that it marked essentially a massive step back for him as a director, with the thought that if someone gave me 30 million dollars, I might also make what amounted to a big in joke for all the fans that supported me for the last ten years - and the fact that it had a lot of great jokes in it.

"You wouldn't last a day on 'The Creek'"

'Jersey Girl' came along and suddenly it was the hardcore fans that were bitching and whining. I don't think it's a bad film, and it was certainly more of a structured and accessible piece of cinema than it's predecessor; but essentially it's only OK.

'Clerks II', however, was really bad. I'm not sure if Smith is suffering from the curse of the fanboy and is trying to get back to making films for his hardcore at the expense of quality, but it was just a mess and insulting to an audience's intelligence. He needs to worry less about the Jay and Bob fans (characters he claimed to have finished with in 2001) and worry more about making decent films.

It seems my initial faith in him was misplaced and, unfortunately, a little juvenile.

These are both directors that inspire fanaticism and I hope Wright doesn't fall into the same trap as Smith and try and please the fans at the expense of quality and originality. 'Shaun of the Dead' and 'Hot Fuzz' are both good, but they're also both very similar. I hope he has the balls to branch out, and not end up making 'Shaun of the Dead II' in ten years time.

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Mar 27 2007, 01:45 AM
Post #22

Early 80's Tom Hanks

QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 27 2007, 02:18 AM)
Im with Lewis on Wright's films in a sense, I think theyre very good, but I don't think they're that special and I certainly don't have the affection for either of his features that I have for 'Spaced'.

And you don't like Spaced that much either, you told me you really ought to be on The Sopranos fan forum.

It'd be called Whacked Out

I should have been able to come up with something better than that.

No, wait, wait it'd be called The Sub-pranos.

No, that sounds like a sex site.

The So-pranos because everybody there was so into the Sopranos

And then you could have a site for people who thought it was alright called the so-so-pranos.

I,I'll go to bed now shall I?

This post has been edited by empathy-with-beast: Mar 27 2007, 01:45 AM

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Mar 27 2007, 01:49 AM
Post #23

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

I love 'Spaced', but it's not my favourite show of all time.

It's top ten.

Maybe I should join a 'Sopranos' forum, I bet the male members are dead tough.

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Mar 27 2007, 01:51 AM
Post #24

Toasty

Member No.: 2,939

Have to qualify this one based on how each CV stands up to repeat viewings, in which Edgar wouldn't merely take the cake, he'd take the whole buffet.

Though I do love Chasing Amy quite a lot. Of the Smith output that I own, I've actually watched Clerks: The Animated Series more often than anything else.

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Mar 27 2007, 01:54 AM
Post #25

Early 80's Tom Hanks

QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 27 2007, 02:49 AM)
Maybe I should join a 'Sopranos' forum, I bet the male members are dead tough.

They'd definitely be better dressed, all that expensive leisure wear rather than us lot pitifully mimicing late nineties skate clothing on our good days. Nicer shoes and hair too probably, and no beards.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Mar 27 2007, 01:59 AM
Post #26

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Mar 27 2007, 02:51 AM)
Of the Smith output that I own, I've actually watched Clerks: The Animated Series more often than anything else.

Who is driving? Bear is driving - how can that be?!

Your Honor, the podrace was pretty cool....

I think Clerks II is a decent flick myself. The only Smith film I've not seen is Jersey Girl, because of all the flak it gets. One day I'll see it cheap and decide to get it myself, because I don't like missing a film purely because everyone says it's crap, and I tend to find redeeming things in films and like ones most fans don't (I enjoy The Phantom Menace, bar Jar-Jar, for example).

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Mar 27 2007, 02:09 AM
Post #27

Toasty

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Mar 26 2007, 05:59 PM)
Who is driving? Bear is driving - how can that be?!

"Everybody disco dancing! I am having very good time!"

He did beat Arrested Development to the Judge Reinhold gag by a good several years.

This post has been edited by thirtyhelens: Mar 27 2007, 02:10 AM

+Quote Post
Julie
post Mar 27 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #28

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Mar 26 2007, 09:09 PM)
"Everybody disco dancing!  I am having very good time!"

He did beat Arrested Development to the Judge Reinhold gag by a good several years.

Ugh! I had the Mock Trial theme song in my head the whole time I was writing my mock RNs this morning.

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Mar 27 2007, 02:37 AM
Post #29

Toasty

Is it wrong to fancy Judge Reinhold? Still?

I'd like to approach his bench, is all I'm saying.

+Quote Post
Julie
post Mar 27 2007, 02:38 AM
Post #30

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Mar 26 2007, 09:37 PM)
Is it wrong to fancy Judge Reinhold?  Still?

I'd like to approach his bench, is all I'm saying.

I'd swear on his bible?

I've got nothing...

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 07:28 AM