IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New film written by jessica - "Learners", New film written by Jessica St..Hynes
sofa
post Nov 11 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #46

One Pinter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,581

It does look rather funny, Contender grand final on other channel. Will record learners me thinks and enjoy later
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pretty_In_Pink
post Nov 11 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #47

One Pinter

Member No.: 6,548

It was good biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mrs Bisley
post Nov 11 2007, 11:41 PM
Post #48

Rov'rum

Member No.: 4,384

I really enjoyed it.

I'm too sleepy to add any detail to that, but I enjoyed it.

+Quote Post
Mrs Watt
post Nov 12 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #49

Three Pinter

Member No.: 6,220

I thought it was really good.
Right at the end when she is driving cracked me up cause that what I do!

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Nov 12 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #50

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

Loved it. Warm, well observed, well-performed, tightly plotted, funny and moving. More please Jessica!

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Nov 12 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #51

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

I really liked it. It had a really lovely natural pace and tone to it, with good realistic dialogue and delivery. There was a good range of characters and I liked how the plot was actually quite simplistic. In a time when drama/comedy seems to throw in as many plot twists or supposed dark gritty realism, this was a breath of fresh air.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 12 2007, 01:19 PM
Post #52

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

It was OK. The characters were multi-dimensional and morally complex, which is a sign of Jess' skill as a writer, but a bit off putting in a comedy drama. You weren't sure who or what to root for, and the plot didn't hang together as neatly as I would have liked. I don't mean to seem lazy, but for a Sunday night gentle comedy/drama I like to know where I am, and what I'm supposed to think of the characters. Also, don't mention potential religious clashes if you're just going to ignore them later. It felt like she'd tied herself in knots and then not bothered to untie them, content to just slap on a happy ending instead.

So even if overall it was less than perfect, it was the little touches that made it; Chris checking out his new haircut after Bev's tried to kiss him, Fiona drinking Baileys out of a bell and those lovely little owls.

I thought it particularly nice that Jessica wrote herself a realistic and flawed heroine. It must be tough for her being married to Pete Tyler, what with all his get rich quick schemes... Will Juanita grow up to be the Doctor's next assistant? Will she recognise him as being her mother's driving instructor?

Onto David... He must be the most likeable and versatile actor currently working on British TV.

And, when he said "I'm a wolf in sheep's clothing", I almost creamed my knickers.

+Quote Post
Shack
post Nov 12 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #53

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

Some nicely observed Sunday evening telly was that, and I don't watch much telly. Jess was lovely, Tennant played his part quite nicely, but I couldn't quite work out all the way through what ending we were meant to be hoping for.

I wondered if Tennant may end up with Jess, I wondered if her husband did actually deserve a bit of good luck and I wasn't sure how nice the lady owner of the driving school actually was.

Would have liked to have seen more of the Ukranian cleaner, she was very funny. I loved the cat card with spaghetti on it's head.

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Nov 12 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #54

Addict

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 12 2007, 01:19 PM)
Onto David... He must be the most likeable and versatile actor currently working on British TV.

And, when he said "I'm a wolf in sheep's clothing", I almost creamed my knickers.

laugh.gif

Quote of the day.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Nov 12 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #55

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 12 2007, 02:19 PM)
It was OK. The characters were multi-dimensional and morally complex, which is a sign of Jess' skill as a writer, but a bit off putting in a comedy drama. You weren't sure who or what to root for, and the plot didn't hang together as neatly as I would have liked.

Those are all the things that made it better than the usual, surely? You can't criticise something for delivering more than you fancied on a Sunday night...

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Nov 12 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #56

Addict

Looking on another forum there's been quite a negative response and some pretty harsh comments, which I was quite sad to see. They mainly seem to have felt disappointed, but then I think that's down to the BBC selling it in a slightly wrong way. It was advertising it as a comedy when really it was a light hearted drama so I think some people had a certain expectation of it.

Well I still liked it either way.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 12 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #57

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Nov 12 2007, 03:16 PM)
Those are all the things that made it better than the usual, surely? You can't criticise something for delivering more than you fancied on a Sunday night...

No, I don't think those things worked in the context of the genre, regardless of timeslot. Me and Alyssa both thought it should have been clearer where your sympathies were supposed to lie, and what outcome you should be hoping for - that just how audience expectations work.

If you want to write a more complex character piece, then fine, but you'd need to explore those characters a lot more deepy and the outcome should reflect that complexity. Marital problems are not solved by owl eggs.

I still found it very enjoyable and Jessica is a very talented writer and performer, but I think I would have vastly preferred it if she'd gone one way or the other.

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Nov 12 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #58

Addict

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 12 2007, 03:42 PM)
If you want to write a more complex character piece, then fine, but you'd need to explore those characters a lot more deepy and the outcome should reflect that complexity. Marital problems are not solved by owl eggs.

I don't think that was really the intention of the story. It was just a brief dip into a moment in someone's life. There's nothing to say the owls were the saving of their marriage. It was just something that brought them together in that moment.

It was nice to see a couple stick together after going through some problems. That was more realistic than her just packing her bags and walking out. It was also nice that while her husband wasn't Mr Perfect he wasn't shown to be a bad husband just because he wasn't Mr Perfect. He was just a man who loved his wife whatever.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 12 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #59

Group Icon

I never thought she was going to leave her partner, but that was mainly because Jessica has children and I couldn't imagine her writing that. Bev was generally quite an unlikeable and selfish character, so if it had been written by anyone else I'm not sure what I would have expected.

Personally I still think it was paced and presented as a romantic comedy drama, but tried to be something more by hinting at darker sides of the protagonists and potential obstacles in their lives (e.g. Chris' devout Christianity and his obsessive tendancies), but then copping out and tying it up in a big bow. I completely disagree that it felt like a snapshot of a group of people's lives, the ending was absolute textbook. Did anyone really buy Chris and Fiona? It was a classic no questions asked happy ending, where you can't imagine (and don't care) about what happened to the characters afterwards.

I feel like I'm being backed into a corner a bit, because I did really enjoy 'Learners', but can't resist justifying what I think are fair criticisms. There were two types of drama in 'Learners' and personally I'd have preferred her to stick to one.

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Nov 12 2007, 04:16 PM
Post #60

Addict

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 12 2007, 04:07 PM)
I feel like I'm being backed into a corner a bit, because I did really enjoy 'Learners', but can't resist justifying what I think are fair criticisms. There were two types of drama in 'Learners' and personally I'd have preferred her to stick to one.

Oh no, you shouldn't feel like that. We just saw it from different view points.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 07:25 AM