IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New film written by jessica - "Learners", New film written by Jessica St..Hynes
Stella MM
post Nov 12 2007, 05:21 PM
Post #61

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,284

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 12 2007, 05:07 PM)
Did anyone really buy Chris and Fiona? It was a classic no questions asked happy ending, where you can't imagine (and don't care) about what happened to the characters afterwards.

I didn't; their relationship seemed to come from nowhere. Although I did enjoy it, it felt quite truncated as if it had been trimmed heavily for time. I thought it might have worked better as a two- or three-parter to really allow all the lovely ambiguities and depths to come through.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
princess_shrek
post Nov 12 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #62

deeply dippy

Member No.: 6,279

This didn't quite work for me and I'm still trying to work out why. I enjoyed it but it could have been better. I loved the observational stuff - like Deb's conversations with herself whilst driving. Overall I felt it was rushed somehow. It could have been longer - perhaps over two or more episodes - to further develop the characters and plot. And I think it couldn't make up its mind whether it was a comedy or a drama - it teetered somewhat uncomfortably on the brink between the two.

I wondered whether it was meant to be a one-off or a pilot for a comedy series about the driving school - I could see that working.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Nov 12 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #63

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Comedy dramas aren't generally my cup of tea, as I usually find them uncomfortable to watch when the comedy evaporates and characters you have been laughing at suddenly get serious (this is part of the reason why I think Shaun falls flat on it's arse when they get to the pub, but that's another issue).

Consequently I couldn't make up my mind whether to watch this or A Long Way Down, so I ended up flicking between channels for the first quarter of an hour or so before I realised the latter is repeated later in the week. By then however, my heart just wasn't in it, and when I went to get something to eat I lost the plot completely.

As I can't really say I watched it properly, this may be an unfair comment, but the story seemed to set Shaun Dingwell's character up as being completely repressive and controlling, only for him to suddenly be Mr Nice Guy simply by saying he loved Jess's character, which didn’t ring true to me and I'd go along with what Zoë has said about wondering what happened to the characters after the happy ending . . .

If it is repeated I'll try and give it a little more attention.

+Quote Post
Mrs Bisley
post Nov 12 2007, 11:35 PM
Post #64

Rov'rum

Member No.: 4,384

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 12 2007, 01:19 PM)
So even if overall it was less than perfect, it was the little touches that made it; Chris checking out his new haircut after Bev's tried to kiss him, Fiona drinking Baileys out of a bell and those lovely little owls.

I thought it particularly nice that Jessica wrote herself a realistic and flawed heroine.

Onto David... He must be the most likeable and versatile actor currently working on British TV.

And, when he said "I'm a wolf in sheep's clothing", I almost creamed my knickers.

Haha yeah

Mhmm

Indeed

Christy loo wub.gif

QUOTE (Shack @ Nov 12 2007, 01:40 PM)
Would have liked to have seen more of the Ukranian cleaner, she was very funny. I loved the cat card with spaghetti on it's head.

I laughed so hard at that I thought my nose was going to fall off.

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 12 2007, 04:07 PM)
I never thought she was going to leave her partner, but that was mainly because Jessica has children and I couldn't imagine her writing that. Bev was generally quite an unlikeable and selfish character, so if it had been written by anyone else I'm not sure what I would have expected.

Personally I still think it was paced and presented as a romantic comedy drama, but tried to be something more by hinting at darker sides of the protagonists and potential obstacles in their lives (e.g. Chris' devout Christianity and his obsessive tendancies), but then copping out and tying it up in a big bow. I completely disagree that it felt like a snapshot of a group of people's lives, the ending was absolute textbook. Did anyone really buy Chris and Fiona? It was a classic no questions asked happy ending, where you can't imagine (and don't care) about what happened to the characters afterwards.

I feel like I'm being backed into a corner a bit, because I did really enjoy 'Learners', but can't resist justifying what I think are fair criticisms. There were two types of drama in 'Learners' and personally I'd have preferred her to stick to one.

QUOTE (Stella MM @ Nov 12 2007, 05:21 PM)
I didn't; their relationship seemed to come from nowhere. Although I did enjoy it, it felt quite truncated as if it had been trimmed heavily for time. I thought it might have worked better as a two- or three-parter to really allow all the lovely ambiguities and depths to come through.

While I really enjoyed it and thought it was a great bit of Sunday evening chill-out telly, I agree completely.. I didn't get the Chris/Whatsherface relationship.

However, Rock Smurf was genius.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 12 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #65

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

Learners Viewing Figures

Learners was the second most watched TV show of Sunday night. It attracted 5.5 million viewers and a 22% share between 9pm and 10.20pm.

Good news for Jess, and hopefully for us if this leads to more of her excellent writing on the beeb.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Nov 13 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #66

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 12 2007, 11:39 PM)
Good news for Jess, and hopefully for us if this leads to more of her excellent writing on the beeb.

It is good news for her, and I hope it does get her more work, but I wonder how much of the draw was due to David Tennant?

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 13 2007, 03:24 PM
Post #67

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

He is a viewer magnet, but I'm sure she'll feel the benefit. It was very much trailed as being a two-star vehicle, and the fact she wrote it was also heavily featured in the publicity.

+Quote Post
Kimmerv2
post Nov 13 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #68

One Pinter

Member No.: 6,491

Interesting comments . . wonder if they plan to air it over here on BBCA . . am curious to see it.

+Quote Post
ChromeBaby
post Nov 14 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #69

No Pinter

Group: Junior Members
Member No.: 6,562

These kind of TV comedy dramas aren't usually my bag but I watched it just to see Jessica walking and talking as well as wanting to experience her writing skills.

I agree with other comments about it feeling rushed. Did anyone else wonder about the lack of a mother and daughter showdown re the savings? On the cutting room floor?

The incidental music at the beginning worried me. I HATE oompah-pah music in comedies! Makes my teeth itch! Mercifully it wasn't to oompah-pah-ish and it didn't become intrusive.

I enjoyed that my expectations were countered in the way relationships developed. I have the vague feeling many TV dramedy clichés were avoided.

I'm glad for Jess that it got good viewing figures!

I miss Jessica... sad.gif

+Quote Post
sofa
post Nov 14 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #70

One Pinter

Member No.: 5,581

I was dissapointed, I thought it was a bit cliched.

I did like that Jessica's charector was flawed and not perfect, but the ending was just too clean. The marrige sorted out too quickly, despite despite the stealing, owls, and kiss outside marrige.
The Polish woman was too easy, seen a few eastern European character now who come across a bit dim, or at least easily pleased and It's becoming dull already.

I quite liked the over excitable black girl, dunno why but she did make me chuckle.

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Nov 17 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #71

Addict

Member No.: 2,347

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting and fun to watch.

I agree that the Chris/Fiona relationship didn't sit quite right - but frankly, I know plenty of couples in reality who don't seem to sit quite right too. That's life really isn't it?

And yeah it could be viewed as a stamped out happy ending - but I didn't really see it that way.
I don't think there was any suggestion that they were all going to live happily ever after.
It was just some nice things happening at that point in their lives - and therefore a good time to end the show.

+Quote Post
curtinparloe
post Nov 21 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #72

All out of mercy today.

Member No.: 4,706

I finally got to watch it today.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, it wasn't the bit of fluff it had been sold as, which was a nice surprise. I thought the Chris/Fioina relationship was a bit thin, and although it could be argued it was about Bev, Dave as the co-star weakens that argument. It definitely would have benefited from being a good half hour longer, concentrating on those two. That said, I didn't get bored, I laughed in the right places, and I had a warm glow afterwards.

In a manly way, of course.

+Quote Post
dolfyn
post Nov 28 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #73

Blood's thicker than water, but blood leaves a stain.

Member No.: 4,984

QUOTE (AusChick @ Nov 17 2007, 09:24 PM)
I really enjoyed it.  I thought it was interesting and fun to watch.

I agree that the Chris/Fiona relationship didn't sit quite right - but frankly, I know plenty of couples in reality who don't seem to sit quite right too. That's life really isn't it?

And yeah it could be viewed as a stamped out happy ending - but I didn't really see it that way.
I don't think there was any suggestion that they were all going to live happily ever after.
It was just some nice things happening at that point in their lives - and therefore a good time to end the show.

Hey! How did you get to see it, Sis?? huh.gif Surely it hasn't slipped by me on Aussie TV!

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
smile.gif

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Nov 28 2007, 09:27 PM
Post #74

Addict

Member No.: 2,347

QUOTE (dolfyn @ Nov 28 2007, 04:00 PM)
Hey! How did you get to see it, Sis??  huh.gif  Surely it hasn't slipped by me on Aussie TV!

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
smile.gif

*cough*youtubeillegalversionin9parts*cough*

+Quote Post
grumpygit
post Jan 10 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #75

Fur Pinter

Member No.: 6,661

This is being shown on Sunday 9.00pm on 'Watch' (sky ch109, virgin tv ch124).

This post has been edited by grumpygit: Jan 10 2009, 12:06 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 10:15 AM