Closed TopicStart new topic
> Doctor Who III, Gone a Bit Pertwee
tigerlily
post Apr 29 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #106

Boop boop e doo!

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,571

I'm just glad those episodes are over. There were good touches here and there but unfortunately they were mired in shite.

I'd far prefered the Daleks to have had the Human Dalek army for a bit, have seized some sort of control over New York and for the Doctor to have to deal with all that. I hate all this Daleks being under a theatre plotting away. I want some sense of actual threat. And I wish they'd lessen the shouting. IT DOESN'T MAKE THE STORY ANY MORE DRAMATIC. IN FACT IT HIGHLIGHTS JUST HOW LACKING IN ANY TENSION THE WHOLE PLOT ACTUALLY IS!!!

I laughed out loud at the Daleks chasing them at the start. The POV was very "The ongoing adventures of Sir Dalek Chicken-Ceaser".
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Apr 29 2007, 01:06 PM
Post #107

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE (tigerlily @ Apr 29 2007, 12:57 PM)
I laughed out loud at the Daleks chasing them at the start. The POV was very "The ongoing adventures of Sir Dalek Chicken-Ceaser".

laugh.gif

Dun-da-da-dun dun-da-da-dun dun-da-da-dun dun da-daaaaaaa...

I think the problem with this series of Dr Who is that the new format has finally caught up with it. In the orignal run you had a good 3-4 episodes of just one story and it had time to build up and develop. When the new run started there had been a long break and there were ready to go new stories - for the most part, at least - and arcs for a big finale for the more bitesize one episode adventures. It all now feels rushed and not fully formed as they're slightly over stretching basic ideas over such a set timeframe. I'd be happier if they just took their time to write and produce a good series and air it when it's ready rather than throw it all together so that it goes out at a certain time of the year. It's in danger of becoming like a soap.

Oh, hang on...

Actually, last night's episode wasn't bad even if it did lack a certain tension. But maybe it would've worked better had it included some of the ideas mentioned here already and played out over 4 episodes. And a story set somewhere away from Earth would be awfully nice.

Wife Of Rolex

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Apr 29 2007, 01:48 PM
Post #108

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

Some very differing opinions on last nights episode, it seems.

The more I think about it, the more I liked the idea actually. True, they can't fit nearly as much tension and story in a 1 or 2 episode story, but the 2 parters are the same length as an old 3 parter, which is closer to an original style story.

Next weeks episode looks like it could go either way really.

+Quote Post
fear_of_pop
post Apr 29 2007, 02:03 PM
Post #109

fuzzy little man peach

Member No.: 2,279

I feel sad for the poor lonely last Dalek now. sad.gif

I quite like that he and the Doctor have that in common now though.

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Apr 29 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #110

Addict

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Apr 29 2007, 02:48 PM)
The more I think about it, the more I liked the idea actually. True, they can't fit nearly as much tension and story in a 1 or 2 episode story, but the 2 parters are the same length as an old 3 parter, which is closer to an original style story.

They may be about the same length but there's still a feeling of under-development. I think I'd actually prefer them to have 12 episodes rather than 13 a series and have either 3 or 4 really good stories over 3 or 4 episodes each.

Wife Of Rolex

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Apr 29 2007, 02:22 PM
Post #111

QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Apr 29 2007, 03:03 PM)

Don't worry, the Daleks always get "completely wiped out" or have 1 left and somehow manage to bounce back into a force as great as there was before.

+Quote Post
Drifter
post Apr 29 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #112

Member No.: 5,387

QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Apr 29 2007, 03:03 PM)

Ah but do they?

Im still not sure over yesterdays episode, I neither liked nor disliked it....aside from the rather annoying fake American accents the story wasnt too bad although Ive seen better two parters.

+Quote Post
fear_of_pop
post Apr 29 2007, 02:38 PM
Post #113

fuzzy little man peach

Member No.: 2,279

QUOTE (Drifter @ Apr 29 2007, 02:24 PM)
Ah but do they?

Well okay, at least for a few weeks. smile.gif

This post has been edited by fear_of_pop: Apr 29 2007, 02:38 PM

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Apr 29 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #114

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

I really haven't been keen on the two-parters since the revival. Yet again it's lack of a decent, well structured story that's letting them down.

I actually heard Russell T Davis talking about how this episode was written. He gave the writer a list of things he wanted included (pig men, Daleks, showgirls, the Empire State building etc). A LIST! No wonder so many of the elements felt under-developed or tacked on!

That said, I enjoyed part two more than last weeks and it wasn't terrible.

There must be some talented, young SF writers out there with some fantastic ideas for decent one offs (or even two or three parters). Maybe the BBC should pump some money into developing young talent and getting them involved in bringing fresh ideas to well established series like Doctor Who.

If Russell T Davis thinks you can write a decent episode of Doctor Who by giving your writers a shopping list of the unconnected, pointless elements you want included then he's a bigger moron than I thought.

Next week's looks great though.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Apr 29 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #115

QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 29 2007, 03:42 PM)
There must be some talented, young SF writers out there with some fantastic ideas for decent one offs (or even two or three parters). Maybe the BBC should pump some money into developing young talent and getting them involved in bringing fresh ideas to well established series like Doctor Who.

It worked for Star Trek: The Next Generation. I remember on one of the seasons special features they said that while it was in production anyone could mail in a script, story idea or anything, and if they liked it it would be used. Several people who weren't even writers but had an idea and just wrote in saying "I think a cool episode would be if...." and then the regular writers wrote it and the sender got credit.

As for the list thing, that's just ridiculous. Let the person write their own episodes or do it yourself.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Apr 29 2007, 02:49 PM

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Apr 29 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #116

Addict

I can see the necessity of a list if the series as a whole has a story arc running throughout and the episodes are written by various individuals for the sake of continuity, but listing specific stuff for specific episodes is just going to stifle the story.

They have included the viewers in the making of the series, though. Blue Peter had that competition to create a character, which appeared last year. Whether they'd let someone loose on writing a proper episode or submitting ideas remains to be seen. Who knows, after the next series they might have to throw it open.

Wife Of Rolex

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Apr 29 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #117

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

I know about the Blue Peter competition, but that was the opposite of the kind of thing I'm talking about. Having to write an episode around a monster drawn by a child is as unlikely to yield a decent SF story as having to write one based a list of Russell T Davies whims. Hence, 'Love and Monsters'.

+Quote Post
Drifter
post Apr 29 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #118

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Apr 29 2007, 04:53 PM)
I can see the necessity of a list if the series as a whole has a story arc running throughout and the episodes are written by various individuals for the sake of continuity, but listing specific stuff for specific episodes is just going to stifle the story.

They have included the viewers in the making of the series, though. Blue Peter had that competition to create a character, which appeared last year. Whether they'd let someone loose on writing a proper episode or submitting ideas remains to be seen. Who knows, after the next series they might have to throw it open.
Wife Of Rolex

I honestly think allowing a fan to come up with an episode isnt such a bad thing, there are some very talented fanfic writers out there, aside from all the shippy crap you get there are some that could outwrite Davies hands down. Im finding this series not as entertaining as the last seasons and its not all down to the fact theres no Rose Tyler. Sure he doesnt have that connection with the actress that he had with Billie, that may come, its just the writing as a whole - the stories to me seem half assed and not as addictive as the previous ones or maybe its just me? happy.gif

+Quote Post
Raven
post Apr 29 2007, 05:24 PM
Post #119

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

I don't have a problem with the format of the new series, I just think the pacing of this two part story was a little off (and I'm guessing that was purely the fault of having to have the reveal of Human Dalek Sec at the end of the first episode).

Star Trek et al have been using 45 minute long episodes for years, they donít generally have a problem with pacing, but for some reason Doctor Who regularly does.

I don't agree that three or four multi-part episodes each season are the way to go, as it will discourage the casual viewer from tuning in and the show will loose ratings, then budget and we'll eventually be back to no Who again.

Also, quite a few of the four part Pertwee/Baker stories involved one epiosde of running around in a quarry!

I would like to see more off-Earth stories however.

QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 29 2007, 05:49 PM)
I know about the Blue Peter competition, but that was the opposite of the kind of thing I'm talking about. Having to write an episode around a monster drawn by a child is as unlikely to yield a decent SF story as having to write one based a list of Russell T Davies whims. Hence, 'Love and Monsters'.

I thought Love and Monsters was one of the best episodes in series 2 (after The Girl in the Fireplace and The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit). It is also one of the few Russell Davis penned episodes that I like.

Either way, any money on a Kirk style "CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" from the Doctor they next time they meet?

+Quote Post
Drifter
post Apr 29 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #120

QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 29 2007, 06:24 PM)
I would like to see more off-Earth stories however.
I thought Love and Monsters was one of the best episodes in series 2 (after The Girl in the Fireplace and The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit).  It is also one of the few Russell Davis penned episodes that I like.

Agreed, for a Timelord who can travel anywhere in time, Earth based stories are starting to become a bore. SFX costs probably restricting the series to Earth past, present or future but still, nothing like a frolick on a space station etc happy.gif

+Quote Post

100 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 10:52 AM