Closed TopicStart new topic
> Doctor Who III, Gone a Bit Pertwee
Sean of the Dead
post Apr 15 2007, 07:00 PM
Post #61

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,924

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Apr 15 2007, 07:45 PM)
Just imagine the Face of Boe with a tiny 4-year olds body as the Doctors companion. Possibly serving drinks from a bar in the Tardis. That would be legendary. That would eliminate the shadow of Billie from the show, no hassle.

His head wouldn't get through the TARDIS doors though, he'd have to travel through time and space with his head hanging out as his tiny 4-year olds body serves drinks inside...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mousespider
post Apr 15 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #62

Dr. Mrs. Claus

Member No.: 5,408

QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Apr 15 2007, 03:00 PM)
His head wouldn't get through the TARDIS doors though, he'd have to travel through time and space with his head hanging out as his tiny 4-year olds body serves drinks inside...

You have no idea how much I would pay to see that.

I thought the episode was very good. Which is surprising seeing as RTD wrote it. Tennant was very good I thought. Martha didn't really bother me until she demanded the doctor tell her about himself. I thought "Who cares? He's taking you around space and time!"

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Apr 15 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #63

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

Watched the first episode last night - I'm not decided on Martha either way yet but I've just got the next two episodes downloaded, so I'll probably have a stronger opinion after watching those two.
Didn't like the blue suit though. Was glad to see the pinstripe make a comeback at the end.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Apr 16 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #64

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

Watched 'The Shakespeare Code' last night...I really enjoyed it. They made it different to the Dickens episode in that Shakespeare had a real kinship with the Doctor. I liked seeing someone 'read' him and see who he really was. The bit with the psychic paper was clever. smile.gif

I am also finding the Martha-Doctor relationship a fun new twist. He's totally wrapped up in Rose still, she is a bit smitten but at the same time not an idiot. And now I get why she was still in rubbish-hair mode - he took her straight from the part at the end of the previous epsiode! I'm hoping it changes for the next one though.
Looking forward to seeing how they develop their relationship in 'Gridlock' - up for viewing tonight.

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Apr 16 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #65

Addict

Member No.: 2,347

This is only vaguely Who-related but I had to post it somewhere because it was amusing me.
We've just received a booklet in the mail from the local TAFE college (technical and further education) for their Short Courses.

Apparently Catherine Tate is teaching "Interior Decoration" and "Interior Design and Decoration Folio Building"

Good to know.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Apr 17 2007, 12:54 PM
Post #66

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

A word of warning for those wishing to avoid spoilers for this weeks episode - avoid the cover of the new Radio Times! (I'm pretty certain they've given away the cliff-hanger . . . ).

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Apr 17 2007, 01:04 PM
Post #67

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 17 2007, 01:54 PM)
A word of warning for those wishing to avoid spoilers for this weeks episode - avoid the cover of the new Radio Times! (I'm pretty certain they've given away the cliff-hanger . . . ).

Yes, yes they have. And reminded me of the last time Who truly spooked me.

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Apr 20 2007, 06:39 PM
Post #68

Alley Viper

Got talking to a guy at work today about Doctor Who, and in particular about the treatment of the Daleks in the 'new' series, as opposed to the 'classic' one.

He's slightly younger than me (about 27), and isn't so much aware of the Daleks pre-Davros. So he was quite perplexed as to why the "Leader of the Daleks" (his words, not mine) hasn't made an appearance yet.

I had to correct him, of course. Davros isn't and never was the leader of the Daleks, I said. He was their creator. Before Genesis he'd never been mentioned. Before that, the Daleks had only the Emperor, and the Dalek Supreme (now known as the 'Black Dalek' - sheesh) to lead them. Personally, I prefer that. It seems that only a lack of imagination and a need to give Terry Molloy work made them bring back Davros time and again.

Why do I prefer no Davros? Simple. He gives the Daleks a humanoid face. He gives us a way of relating to the Daleks, for want of a better word. And that isn't a good thing. The very thing which frightens people about the Daleks is the fact they have no recognisable 'human' qualities. The armour, the lack of any morals, even their grating metallic voices, all contribute to something very scary indeed.

I find them a hell of a lot scarier now than I did. I've been trying to think why, because intrisically, they haven't changed much. I know why people found them scary in the Sixties. Mainly war anxiety. Nation himself admitted that they were born of fear of Nazism, and faceless buereacracy. The fact that they had a set ideaology (destroy the different), and that they couldn't be reasoned with reasonated with the direct post-war Britain.

Growing up mainly in the 1980s, I hadn't been exposed to any of that, and so I found them to be scary monsters, but no scarier than the Cybermen, or Sontarans. Now, however, I have a greater understanding of those feelings. Not sure whether it's because of the whole 'War on Terror', or the fact that the world's a lot more paranoid than it used to be, but I can understand those anxieties to a certain extent.

My God, I can waffle on when I want to.

+Quote Post
Spider Dijon
post Apr 21 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #69

Wordsmithe

Member No.: 5,333

Ok, I was concerned for Martha's character about travelling back in time, what with her being Black and the past not being a particularly friendly place in that respect. My friends took this as racism. What was the FIRST thing she says when arriving in Shakespearian London "I'm ok to walk around here aren't I, I mean I'm not going to get carted off for being a slave or nothing am I?" So HA! The Writers knew what they were talking about and old Max wasn't being racist was he!

+Quote Post
fear_of_pop
post Apr 21 2007, 11:56 AM
Post #70

fuzzy little man peach

Member No.: 2,279

smile.gif
And then the Doctor reminded us that there were actually quite a lot of black people around back then, contrary to popular belief.

+Quote Post
Spider Dijon
post Apr 21 2007, 01:20 PM
Post #71

Wordsmithe

Member No.: 5,333

QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Apr 21 2007, 11:56 AM)
smile.gif
And then the Doctor reminded us that there were actually quite a lot of black people around back then, contrary to popular belief.

Exactly, and "Act like you own the place and no-one'll question you."

+Quote Post
Gimp
post Apr 21 2007, 09:43 PM
Post #72

Grrrrr

Member No.: 3,542

I hope Shack watched today's episode, lots of Noo Yoik accents for him to learn from.

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Apr 22 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #73

Alley Viper

Interesting episode, I'll say that. Not so sure it was a good episode.

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 22 2007, 11:59 AM
Post #74

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I enjoyed it, awful, awful accents and all, but the line ''I am a Human Dalek!'' really annoyed me. The delivery was bad and it seemed really unnecessary. It would have been much better if they had just had him say the ''I am your future'' line.

This post has been edited by maian: Apr 22 2007, 12:06 PM

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Apr 22 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #75

Addict

Member No.: 2,347

I have to admit I wasn't impressed. Still - they've managed to get through two-and-a-half series before disappointing me so that's still pretty good.
Maybe once I see the second half it will seem better.

+Quote Post

100 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 11:40 PM