IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So you've seen Hot Fuzz; details you noticed, like, an in-joke, sight-gag, set-up, reference
dolfyn
post Apr 27 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #1

Blood's thicker than water, but blood leaves a stain.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,984

So now that we've all seen the fantastic Hot Fuzz (hopefully more than once), what are the little details you noticed; especially the 2nd/3rd/etc time around? happy.gif

One thing I noticed was the little sound-effects punctuating certain camera shots throughout the movie.
*Like when Danny reacts to Nicholas saying he'd been stabbed before, you hear the cash register go off with a "ka-ching!"
*Or the exchange between Bill Bailey & Simon on Angel's first morning at work, you hear the phone ring in the background each time the camera's on Bill.
*And during the shoot-out; the fruit machine noises when Angel pops up from behind the table in the pub, & then the camera pans down from the animal trap hanging from the ceiling, to the pub owners crouching behind the bar. It sounds like an old computer game! laugh.gif

It's the attention to detail, & multi-layering, that makes us love the fine work of Pegg/Wright/Frost so much. wub.gif So, share the joy & amusement, people. biggrin.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif

This post has been edited by dolfyn: Apr 27 2007, 10:28 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peronel
post Apr 27 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #2

Ummm...

Member No.: 6,287

I loved the callback (one of many) to SotD:

"Want anything from the shop?"
"Cornetto."

teehee! I've only seen it once so far, but I'll be watching very closely next time for more stuff.

+Quote Post
Jumpin Jack Flas...
post Apr 27 2007, 12:13 PM
Post #3

Addict

Member No.: 4,831

I've only seen it once...

+Quote Post
CazBag
post Apr 27 2007, 01:38 PM
Post #4

Four Pinter

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,487

Great new thread there Dolfyn!

There are so many references and inside gags in Hot Fuzz it's pretty remarkable. I do love the way Simon and Edgar pack so much in that you notice something new every time you watch their stuff. With Hot Fuzz it's no exception. I've seen it 5 times and every time I've spotted something new.

During the debate of whether there's just one killer or 2, on the shop window there's a KILLERS sign. I love the way the characters predict their own demise too, and are named after what they do.

On IMDB there's a movie connections page.

This post has been edited by CazBag: Apr 27 2007, 01:39 PM

+Quote Post
dolfyn
post Apr 27 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (CazBag @ Apr 27 2007, 11:38 PM)
Great new thread there Dolfyn!

Thanx, luv. wink.gif I was hoping someone would like it! rolleyes.gif

I got the idea after, yet again, discussing the intricate details of the movie with AusChick. I thought it'd be a good one to share with the group. biggrin.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif

+Quote Post
frostitute
post Apr 27 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #6

faith left me staring at the ceiling

Member No.: 2,846

Before the helicopter flies over their heads I think they recreate the scene from Shaun in the basement.

"I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything at all."

Something like that.

+Quote Post
Mayonnaise
post Apr 27 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #7

Self-Proclaimed #1 Korean-American Nick J. Frost Fan

Member No.: 6,262

I think it was ..

"I feel like I should say something smart"

"You don't have to say anything at all"

smile.gif

+Quote Post
CazBag
post Apr 27 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #8

Four Pinter

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,487

QUOTE (dolfyn @ Apr 27 2007, 01:56 PM)
I got the idea after, yet again, discussing the intricate details of the movie with AusChick. I thought it'd be a good one to share with the group.  biggrin.gif

Definitely a good idea. Well overdue I reckon! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dolfyn
post Apr 28 2007, 01:14 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (CazBag @ Apr 28 2007, 02:44 AM)
Definitely a good idea.  Well overdue I reckon!  biggrin.gif

Well, I wanted to wait for a bit until after it reached the US so we wouldn't have to worry about spoilers. smile.gif

One of the set-ups I love is when Nicholas & Danny are at the church fete shooting range, & the doctor pre-empts the end of the movie when he's talking about the prizes....

"Take out all the little people, & you get to waltz away with the cuddly monkey."

Angel does take out all the little people of the N.W.A. & waltzes away with Danny! laugh.gif So clever! cool.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif

+Quote Post
Anni
post Apr 28 2007, 01:15 AM
Post #10

OI OI!

Member No.: 6,201

Wow.

..You are so much more observant than me. I got like none of that.

+Quote Post
dolfyn
post Apr 28 2007, 01:29 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Anni @ Apr 28 2007, 11:15 AM)
Wow.
..You are so much more observant than me. I got like none of that.

Well, I have seen it 8 times! blush.gif I know, I have no life! rolleyes.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Apr 28 2007, 01:39 AM
Post #12

Addict

Member No.: 2,347

Hehehe well I guess seeing 6 times means I may only have a very small fraction of a life!

Even though I was part of the conversation that inspired this thread I seem to have gone all blank and can't think of anything now!

The only thing which comes to mind (and which I didn't notice until about the 3rd time I saw the film) was when they introduce Kevin Eldon's character and he's siting in front of the WhiteBoard and all the things written on the board look like they are pointed at him "always late", "Unreliable" all that stuff.

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Apr 28 2007, 03:35 PM
Post #13

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

Things I noticed were...

When Angel goes to talk to Janine at a crime scene he notices the window was broken from the inside. This parallels with what's going on in Sandford...the murders are being committed from within.

The hotel Angel stays at is The Swan and has a swan ornament opposite his room door. His room is The Castle Suite and it's at the castle Angel confronts the NWA.

Bloody Mary is written on the black board in the pub just behind Roy Porter's head when Angel orders a Cranberry Juice.

When Angel goes jogging we see Joyce Cooper going up a ladder to water a hanging basket, the same hanging basket that Angel later shoots down to knock her out with.

The Twins are seen driving their recovery vehicle for their service 'TOTAL BREAKDOWN' which is what Angel has later.

At the NWA meeting, Leslie Tiller makes up a flower arrangment to welcome Angel in the style of a wreath, which fortells her own death.

When Angel first confronts Pete in Somerfields a packet of Jaffacakes in clearly in view next to Pete's head.

The seamine is supposedly deactivated - like the gun at The Winchester in SotD, but it turns out to very active...like the gun at the Winchester in SotD.

In the pub Butterman says, 'Yeeeah Roooooy!', a reference to Ed saying, 'Yeeeah boooooy!' in SotD.

When Angel and Butterman go into the newsagents to buy a Cornetto, Annette Roper says, 'No luck catching them swans, then?' To which Butterman replys, 'It's just the one swan actually.' This turn of phrase later kicks Angel's mind into gear when she says, 'No luck finding them killers, then?' and Butterman responds with, 'It's just the one killer actually.'

When the Met chiefs try to convince Angel to return to London he says, 'I kind of like it here,' the same line he says at the start when he's trying to convince them not to send him away from London.

Butterman jumping and taking the bullet for Angel and Angel screaming, 'Noooooo!!' references the paintball episode of Spaced.

I can't remember anymore.

Wife Of Rolex

This post has been edited by Wife Of Rolex: Apr 28 2007, 03:37 PM

+Quote Post
Alienlint
post Apr 29 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #14

Guests

That damn hedgehog or whatever it was!

No one believes me when I talk about it but it was in the movie at least twice. It was in the riot room and crawling around the debris after the station blew up.

If someone in the UK could get a screenshot when the DvD comes out over there, that'd be great. Everyone wants physical proof, but being American, our version probably won't come out for a long time.

+Quote Post
R3Dl2ULZ
post Apr 30 2007, 01:19 AM
Post #15

Three Pinter

Member No.: 3,818

i noticed it both times i saw the movie. i thought it was so obvious. in the riot room its to emphasise how unused the gear is. and then in the rubble cause thats what Simon and Edgar do.

plus one of my favourite little things is the copy of Shaun of the Dead in the mega bargain bin at the supermarket with all the cheesy action movies noone has heard of before.

This post has been edited by R3Dl2ULZ: Apr 30 2007, 01:20 AM

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 08:48 PM