IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Favourite Moments Of Pop, Share Your Musical Memories.
Wife Of Rolex
post May 10 2007, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Addict

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,423

What moments in music have kept their place in your hearts? Something you saw on TV or heard on the radio. Someone in music you met or a particular moment during a gig you saw. First memories of music or significant happenings in your life that has a certain song as its soundtrack. Anything that makes it a favourite moment in pop for you.

I just came across one of mine. Take That live at Wembley in 1993. This particular moment in that year's summer tour is my all time favourite TT moment from the whole time I was a fan. Always puts a smile on my face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xPQH6R9JGc

Wife Of Rolex
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 10 2007, 02:57 PM
Post #2

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

The debut appearances of fave bands on Top Of The Pops - The Smiths, Jesus & Mary Chain, Carter USM, Wonder Stuff, Pop Will Eat Itself etc. - either a case of seeing something new & fresh, or a band I'd followed for a while "making it big".

And every appearance on TOTP by The KLF.

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post May 10 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #3

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

Queen at Live Aid. I was only 9, and that's what first got me into music, because they blew me away. Like them or not, they knew exactly how a live performance should be.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 10 2007, 03:02 PM
Post #4

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

The KLF (again) on the Brit Awards in the 90's - thrash metal gun toting madness biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post May 10 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #5

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (Sostie @ May 10 2007, 04:02 PM)
The KLF (again) on the Brit Awards in the 90's - thrash metal gun toting madness  biggrin.gif

And speaking of the Brits - Jarvis ruining Jacko's big moment is a good'un.

+Quote Post
logger
post May 10 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (Sostie @ May 10 2007, 04:02 PM)
The KLF (again) on the Brit Awards in the 90's - thrash metal gun toting madness  biggrin.gif

It's the only way to behave at an awards ceremony, bring Extreme Noise Terror and an AK 47.

+Quote Post
Igmeister
post May 10 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #7

Don't ever get a cat.

Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (Sostie @ May 10 2007, 03:57 PM)
Carter USM

Speaking of Carter, the Smash Hits Poll Winners Party of 1991 or 92 when they jumped on poor Phil Schofield has to be one of my favourites.

+Quote Post
Ghost_862
post May 10 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #8

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 2,633

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 10 2007, 03:03 PM)
And speaking of the Brits - Jarvis ruining Jacko's big moment is a good'un.

The performance was over the top, but Jackson was in no way portraying himself as a messianic figure of any sort. In the song Jackson refers specifically to Jesus and to God, asking why they have allowed us to make such a mess of the planet. He is actually questionning spirituality. He even refers to himself alongside the rest of the world's population - 'what about us?' He ralleys against the forces of greed and evil which are slowly decimating our environment, but he in no way proclaims himself responsible for or capable of solving those problems. He does not, in any way, represent himself as a saviour. That's an utter myth and thus there was no reason for Cockhead to do what he did.

It wouldn't be quite as bad if somebody with some artistic inegrity had done it.. perhaps somebody who has actually achieved more than Michael Jackson? But Jarvis Cocker? One of the most sickeningly untalented and self indulgent cunts to have ever sullied the name of British music?? Taking on one of the most important black musicians in history? He doesn't even deserve to sit on the same CD rack as Michael Jackson.

He also knocked over a child while he was up there and lifted his shirt in the face of another. That's entirely unacceptable and anybody who condones this behaviour should be ashamed of themselves. It was a shameless act of self promotion and anybody who thinks it was anything more than that is a big a moron as Cocker himself.

This post has been edited by Ghost_862: May 10 2007, 04:00 PM

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post May 10 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #9

Varga Girl

Member No.: 2,531

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ May 10 2007, 10:22 AM)
or a particular moment during a gig you saw.

One moment that will stay with me forever was the first time I saw The Cramps. During the encore Lux proceeded to take off his clothes & squeeze the sweat out. The amount of liquid that came out of his socks has forever scarred me. He then stripped down to nothing & climbed up the stack of speakers. I've never seen anything to top that.

+Quote Post
Igmeister
post May 10 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #10

Don't ever get a cat.

Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ May 10 2007, 04:49 PM)
The performance was over the top, but Jackson was in no way portraying himself as a messianic figure of any sort. In the song Jackson refers specifically to Jesus and to God, asking why they have allowed us to make such a mess of the planet. He is actually questionning spirituality. He even refers to himself alongside the rest of the world's population - 'what about us?'  He ralleys against the forces of greed and evil which are slowly decimating our environment, but he in no way proclaims himself responsible for or capable of solving those problems. He does not, in any way, represent himself as a saviour. That's an utter myth and thus there was no reason for Cockhead to do what he did.

It wouldn't be quite as bad if somebody with some artistic inegrity had done it.. perhaps somebody who has actually achieved more than Michael Jackson? But Jarvis Cocker? One of the most sickeningly untalented and self indulgent cunts to have ever sullied the name of British music?? Taking on one of the most important black musicians in history? He doesn't even deserve to sit on the same CD rack as Michael Jackson.

He also knocked over a child while he was up there and lifted his shirt in the face of another. That's entirely unacceptable and anybody who condones this behaviour should be ashamed of themselves. It was a shameless act of self promotion and anybody who thinks it was anything more than that is a big a moron as Cocker himself.

I preferred your original post. Either way though you are still wrong. Still it was a long time ago, no point arguing about it, especially as you seem to be getting over it.

+Quote Post
sarkybarker
post May 10 2007, 04:18 PM
Post #11

The Tea and Coffee making facilities left a lot to be desired.

Member No.: 5,987

Ooh - good thread!

The very moment music became exciting to me. Manic Street Preachers offend everybody. Ah memories

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEEseETeD6M

Sorry about the poor quality but it's all youtube had.

This post has been edited by sarkybarker: May 10 2007, 04:19 PM

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 10 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #12

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ May 10 2007, 03:49 PM)
The performance was over the top, but Jackson was in no way portraying himself as a messianic figure of any sort. In the song Jackson refers specifically to Jesus and to God, asking why they have allowed us to make such a mess of the planet. He is actually questionning spirituality. He even refers to himself alongside the rest of the world's population - 'what about us?'

He performs the song. Children, and a few adults, walk on stage. They face towards Michael and throughout look on in badly acted despair, many times clasping their hands together or holding out their arms towards Michael. Later he walks from the back of the stage down some stairs, he touches the outstretched hands of the children around him as he passes. He then strips down to bright white clothing, a bright light ignites behind him, and Michael stands, arms outstretched in a crucifix position. The rest of the "cast" then leave the stage, but not before each of them hug Michael before walking off into the bright light behind him. Toward the end he kisses a child on the forehead. He does the same to a Rabbi who bows his head before him.

And you can't understand, regardless of what he says/sings, why some may misinterpretate this as "messianic", or how some may see him potraying a "saviour"?

And on a pedantic note, he doesn't actually sing "what about us"..his "followers" do that.

It wouldn't be quite as bad if somebody with some artistic inegrity had done it.. perhaps somebody who has actually achieved more than Michael Jackson? But Jarvis Cocker? ....Taking on one of the most important black musicians in history?

One of the most successful without a doubt - but when does popularity mean quality? Most "important" musicians in history? Good performer and singer yes. Dancer...I suppose (although his trademark dance move was not his). Up to Thriller he wrote some good tracks - but not all of them - only about half his output in his solo career up to that point. Much of the stuff after Thriller in my opinion is not even worth mentioning.

He also knocked over a child while he was up there and lifted his shirt in the face of another. That's entirely unacceptable. ..

The knocking over of children was later revealed as "spin" by Jackson's people. They were so incensed with what Cocker did they used it as a reason for Cocker to be arrested by the police.

Yes, if the shirt lifting happened that is unacceptable...it would distract the kiddies from seeing Michael constantly grab his crotch in front of them.

Still, not as entirely unacceptable as dangling your child from a balcony.

It was a shameless act of self promotion

Unlike floating a giant 50ft statue of yourself down the Thames and various other waterways throughout the world. Or insisting you are referred to as the King Of Pop.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 10 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #13

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

It's the show piece event of the British music industry. It's live on telly. The audience are welcomed to the Brit awards by the voice of a Radio 1 DJ. He introduces a radio friendly, chart topping band, the show opens, and you witness this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIPyar98Tpg

Classical conductor Sir George Solti, who was in the front row, walked out in protest when the machine gun came out, despite being up for an award.

KLF then went on to win Best British Act that evening (tied with Simply Red) but didn't pick up the award...after the opening number they announced they had split and then went and dumped a dead sheep in front of the BPI offices!

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 10 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #14

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ May 10 2007, 04:49 PM)
The performance was over the top, but Jackson was in no way portraying himself as a messianic figure of any sort. In the song Jackson refers specifically to Jesus and to God, asking why they have allowed us to make such a mess of the planet. He is actually questionning spirituality. He even refers to himself alongside the rest of the world's population - 'what about us?'  He ralleys against the forces of greed and evil which are slowly decimating our environment, but he in no way proclaims himself responsible for or capable of solving those problems. He does not, in any way, represent himself as a saviour. That's an utter myth and thus there was no reason for Cockhead to do what he did.

Funniest post EVA!

+Quote Post
Atara
post May 10 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #15

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

It is quite recent but when Pink Floyd played Comfortably Numb at Live 8, literally brought a tear to my eye, it was beautiful and has been one of my favourite songs of all time since I was a kid and first ever watched The Wall. It was an injustice that they were on before McCartney, but then again he did have a sing along Beatles song to end the night with, meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9XhzChsin8

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 06:28 PM