IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Back Catalogue Advice Centre, Which album should I get first?
mcraigclark
post Oct 12 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #16

I'm a poncey thrush.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,057

QUOTE (maian @ Oct 11 2007, 05:15 PM)
Well, this might be a big one to tackle, but could anyone recommend a good album to start on to investigate the work of the Rolling Stones? I know their hits pretty well but have never really invested in an album. Where do I start in terms of proper albums? I've already got a best of so really I just want to delve a bit deeper.

Exile on Main St. or Some Girls would give you a good introduction. Exile never gets old.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Oct 12 2007, 08:13 PM
Post #17

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Cheers for the advice, guys. I've started by getting hold of Exile and Let It Bleed and will continue my voyage of discovery as and when I find their albums cheap enough.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Oct 12 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #18

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (maian @ Oct 12 2007, 08:13 PM)
Cheers for the advice, guys. I've started by getting hold of Exile and Let It Bleed and will continue my voyage of discovery as and when I find their albums cheap enough.

Most of The Stones early CDs were repackaged and re-released. If you are lucky enough to still have a Fopp near you, I know they had many of them for a fiver. I'm sure HMV have a few in their sale for that price.

+Quote Post
maian
post Oct 12 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #19

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 12 2007, 10:04 PM)
Most of The Stones early CDs were repackaged and re-released.  If you are lucky enough to still have a Fopp near you, I know they had many of them for a fiver.  I'm sure HMV have a few in their sale for that price.

I really wish I'd bought them when the Fopp near me was open. A trip to Manchester to buy them would be excessive. I suppose I could justify it by saying I was going to see my sister, but she'd see right through me.

+Quote Post
horseshead
post Oct 13 2007, 07:59 AM
Post #20

Transfixed by episodes of NCIS

Member No.: 4,358

May I make a suggestion of Sticky Fingers for The Rolling Stones is an essential album

+Quote Post
baking
post Oct 13 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #21

Two Pinter

Member No.: 5,871

QUOTE (Ade @ Sep 19 2007, 08:41 PM)
I'll start things off then, by asking if anyone here has any thoughts on the output of Fish (erstwhile frontman of prog outfit Marillion). What sing he? Where go I? And why?

all I know is he has an album called "Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors", which is 'down there' in erms of bad album titles IMO. although I've never heard it. the front cover looks like a dodgy Athena poster.

also his real name is apparently Derek Willy Dick, which is incredible.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Jul 22 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #22

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

Having recently started getting interested in New Order's stuff, I'm a little lost as to where to start with their albums. I think I could do with some assistance, especially since they seem to have nearly as many hits compilations as studio LPs.

+Quote Post
dandan
post Jul 22 2008, 02:04 PM
Post #23

Addict

Member No.: 4,256

start with 'technique' and work your way backwards. ignore everything which followed...

This post has been edited by dandan: Jul 22 2008, 02:04 PM

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jul 22 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #24

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Or get Substance and see which period you like best.

Low Life is their best IMHO

+Quote Post
dandan
post Jul 22 2008, 02:38 PM
Post #25

Addict

Member No.: 4,256

i pretty much like everything from 'movement' to 'technique', even if there are a couple of hit and miss moments...

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jul 22 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #26

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

QUOTE (maian @ Oct 11 2007, 09:15 PM)
Well, this might be a big one to tackle, but could anyone recommend a good album to start on to investigate the work of the Rolling Stones? I know their hits pretty well but have never really invested in an album. Where do I start in terms of proper albums? I've already got a best of so really I just want to delve a bit deeper.

To be honest the Stones are not an albums band really, all their albums are very patchy aside from the quality hit here or there. If I were you I'd just whammy iTunes Store and grab whatever looks good to you or that you want.

Exile on Main Street is arguably their best album, but almost all the albums have one or two absolute stunners then a few okay songs and a few shit ones. I'd seriously say many of the albums are not very good, though I think the Stones are one of the best bands ever.

If I were you, try and get this because it's an early compilation (released 1971) and has almost every great track they recorded or released in that early period. Though neither of my favourite Stones songs are on there (Tumblin' Dice and Beast of Burden) there's still loads of quality on there.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Jul 22 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #27

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (dandan @ Jul 22 2008, 03:04 PM)
start with 'technique' and work your way backwards. ignore everything which followed...

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 22 2008, 03:06 PM)
Or get Substance and see which period you like best.

Low Life is their best IMHO

QUOTE (dandan @ Jul 22 2008, 03:38 PM)
i pretty much like everything from 'movement' to 'technique', even if there are a couple of hit and miss moments...

Cheers for the pointers guys. I received some bonus bonds (just like money!) in work just before I left so I have invested in their Singles collection and I will order Technique and possibly Low Life when I get me bonus next week.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 09:51 AM