Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comics - what are you reading?, your thoughts
holly
post Nov 13 2004, 11:10 AM
Post #1

holly

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,298

just spent a fortune in a comic shop so was inspired to come on here and find out what comics you all read?

ok, i'll go first: strangers in paradise, julie doucet/ drawn and quarterly stuff, love and rockets, nightmares and fairytales are the ones which i've just spent all my money on.
anyone got any recomendations?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
philt
post Nov 13 2004, 11:48 AM
Post #2

You ain't seen me. Right?

Member No.: 2,261

Same one I've been reading for the past 27 1/2 years. The comic that changed everything. The comic without which there would have been no british invasion no rejigged Swamp Thing, Watchmen, LOEG, From Hell, Preacher. Where people like Brian Bolland, Alan Moore, Kevin O'Neill, Dave Gibbons, Grant Morrison, Mark Millar, Glen Fabry, Jock, Andy Diggle, Pete Milligan, Mike McMahon, Barry Kitson, Simon Bisley, Steve Dillon, John Higgins, Garth Ennis, Frank Quitely, John Smith and others got their breaks. Where the new wave of "next big thing" - Henry Flint, Frazer Irvine, Si Spurrier, D'israeli, Richard Elson, Ian Eddington and Gordon Rennie are plying their trade. And where the giants who defined modern Comics John Wagner, Pat Mills and Carlos Ezquerra still produce exceptional material.

So which comic is this?

2000AD

You know if 2000AD was a European Comic, or Manga or American it would be much more highly rated than it is. It would certainly get more recognition from British fans and comic shops who seem quick to dismiss it's contribution and influence. Pity

+Quote Post
sample#136
post Nov 13 2004, 09:29 PM
Post #3

Guests

I'm not a regular reader of comics, I have to admit, but I do pick up the odd manga.

Currently I'm reading Love Hina. Hilarious stuff. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Nov 13 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #4

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (sample#136 @ Nov 13 2004, 09:29 PM)
I'm not a regular reader of comics, I have to admit, but I do pick up the odd manga.

Currently I'm reading Love Hina. Hilarious stuff. biggrin.gif

Buy loads but never get round to reading them all. But am keeping up with

The Walking Dead (letter from Simon Pegg in latest issue!)
Identity Crisis
Battle Royale

This post has been edited by Sostie: Nov 13 2004, 10:27 PM

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Nov 14 2004, 07:35 AM
Post #5

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (Sostie @ Nov 13 2004, 10:26 PM)
Battle Royale

-I've read the first couple of Battle Royales
-Astro Boy
-Ultimate X-Men
-Wolverine and Gambit (except it isn't Gambit anymore)

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Nov 14 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #6

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

Black Widow mini series, written by Richard Morgan of Altered Carbon fame.

+Quote Post
whitey
post Nov 14 2004, 06:06 PM
Post #7

never rub another man's rhubarb

Member No.: 2,308

Everything I was reading appears to have stopped: Supreme Power, X-Statix. Still reading Amazing Spidey though.

2000AD has gone almost completely rubbish.

+Quote Post
philt
post Nov 14 2004, 06:59 PM
Post #8

You ain't seen me. Right?

Member No.: 2,261

QUOTE (whitey @ Nov 14 2004, 06:06 PM)
2000AD has gone almost completely rubbish.

yeah that's right - just keep talking the tablets....

+Quote Post
zombiechick
post Nov 14 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #9

Guests

Lenore. Roman Dirge is a genius, ok so there's no big guns or monsters but it's dark, cute and funny.

+Quote Post
holly
post Nov 15 2004, 11:40 AM
Post #10

holly

QUOTE (zombiechick @ Nov 14 2004, 10:08 PM)
Lenore. Roman Dirge is a genius, ok so there's no big guns or monsters but it's dark, cute and funny.

i love roman dirge stuff too it makes me giggle! did you ever see that cartoon onCITV, i think it was written by him or by one of his friends or soemthing.it was dark and very funny , i just cant remember what its called

+Quote Post
whitey
post Nov 15 2004, 02:51 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (philt @ Nov 14 2004, 06:59 PM)
yeah that's right - just keep talking the tablets....

I'm serious. I tried to get back into it last year and aside from Wagner's Dredd strip it was completely shit. Strontium Dog was back but shit, there was some really dreadfully written, painfully unfunny thing called Bec and Kawl, and Slaine was a migraine of photoshopped horrors.
I did want to read Leviathan but I missed almost all of the issues.

+Quote Post
MikeN
post Nov 15 2004, 05:15 PM
Post #12

Guests

Supreme Power, Dr Spectrum, The Outsiders, Justice League Elite,Superman/Batman, Catwoman:When in Rome,Fables, The Walking Dead,Toe Tags, Evil Dead:Ashes to Ashes. I'm also collecting 'Wanted' but to be honest I'll be glad when it's done as I'm very disappointed in the series, it had lots of potential but Millar just goes for cheap shock value, bit like his 'Ultimates' series.

Got a stack of Hellboy trade paperbacks for my birthday which I've been devouring over the weekend and loving 'em to bits. I'll second the comments on 2000AD, I too tried to get back into it but that ridiculous 'Bec & Kawl' (which reeked of trying to be a 'supernatural' Spaced series) put me off as well as the continual Sinster/Dexter stories.

Mike.

+Quote Post
pick-puff-pickle
post Nov 15 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #13

methyltheobromine=happy

Member No.: 2,486

I'm still reading 2000AD I still love it....oh and the uncanny x-men - The draco biggrin.gif

Is it just me or are comic shops the best place ever, mines like a gathering place for fellow nerds happy.gif , and the store owners awesome he gets really involved...although he looks nothing like Bill Bailey huh.gif

+Quote Post
holly
post Nov 16 2004, 09:30 AM
Post #14

holly

QUOTE (pick-puff-pickle @ Nov 15 2004, 08:06 PM)
Is it just me or are comic shops the best place ever, mines like a gathering place for fellow nerds happy.gif , and the store owners awesome he gets really involved...although he looks nothing like Bill Bailey huh.gif

ive actually had some pretty bad experiences with comic shops. when i was 15 or so and first getting into comics and didnt know what the hell i was talking about (but trying really hard anyway) the comic guy made fun of and just laughed in my face. that was forbidden planet in leeds if anyones interested, i didnt dare go back for about a year!

but im older and wiser now and wont fall into that trap again. yes i love comic shops i spend hours in there reading and wishing i had more money and smiling to people who are reading the same stuff as me, its an un-said bond smile.gif

+Quote Post
whitey
post Nov 16 2004, 01:49 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (holly @ Nov 16 2004, 09:30 AM)
ive actually had some pretty bad experiences with comic shops. when i was 15 or so and first getting into comics and didnt know what the hell i was talking about (but trying really hard anyway) the comic guy made fun of and just laughed in my face. that was forbidden planet in leeds if anyones interested, i didnt dare go back for about a year!

but im older and wiser now and wont fall into that trap again. yes i love comic shops i spend hours in there reading and wishing i had more money and smiling to people who are reading the same stuff as me, its an un-said bond  smile.gif

the idiots who work in forbidden planet in manchester are a bunch of shits as well.

+Quote Post

82 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 01:43 PM