> Comics - what are you reading?, your thoughts
maian
post Feb 24 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #1186

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 24 2011, 06:41 PM) *
I might get The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen too, because I've been wanting to read it for a while now. That's two books, isn't it?

Two and a bit. There's the first two volumes, then The Black Dossier, which fills in background information linking those to the third book, Century, which consists of three comics, only the first of which has so far been released.

This post has been edited by maian: Feb 24 2011, 06:56 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Feb 24 2011, 07:40 PM
Post #1187

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

Alan Moore's run on Saga of the Swamp Thing is also excellent. Think there are four TPBs out there (someone knowledgeable ie Sostie confirm this). I've got and read the first two and they're ace. When I get some money (if this ever occurs) I'm definitely investing in the other volumes, it's good stuff.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Feb 24 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #1188

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Feb 24 2011, 07:40 PM) *
Alan Moore's run on Saga of the Swamp Thing is also excellent. Think there are four TPBs out there (someone knowledgeable ie Sostie confirm this). I've got and read the first two and they're ace. When I get some money (if this ever occurs) I'm definitely investing in the other volumes, it's good stuff.

Not sure how many volumes in TPB form there are (I have the actual comics rather than te books). Four sounds about right. I do know Moore's run covered issues 21-64.

And God bless you sir for calling them TPBs and not graphic novels.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Feb 24 2011, 09:55 PM
Post #1189

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

QUOTE (Sostie @ Feb 24 2011, 08:01 PM) *

I learned from the master. Also Stress Wolf & Chutney Ferret will surely get collected into TPBs someday in the future?

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Feb 24 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #1190

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

QUOTE (Sostie @ Feb 24 2011, 08:01 PM) *

See, even though I'm not an expert on TPBs and the terminology, ages ago a friend reckoned that I was wrong to refer to my Watchmen copy as a 'Trade Paperback'.

Am I differentiating the two terms right? I thought Watchmen and other instances where books are a collection of issues was a TPB, and a Graphic Novel was a one-off (like Sin City stories). I've slipped and referred to different things as graphic novels before though, oops. I get terms wrong. I'm the first to admit I'm no expert on comics.

Speaking of which, I reckon I might buy the Walking dead compendium Vol. 1 tomorrow. I only tend to read them at home so size is no issue.

+Quote Post
maian
post Feb 24 2011, 11:15 PM
Post #1191

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I've always held that a graphic novel is a self-contained story that has a beginning, middle and end that was conceived as such, so even if it was released as separate issues then collected, it is still a single work and would be considered a graphic novel. Trade paperbacks, therefore, would be collections of issues in an ongoing series that has no such defined arc.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Feb 25 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #1192

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Everlong @ Feb 24 2011, 10:32 PM) *
See, even though I'm not an expert on TPBs and the terminology, ages ago a friend reckoned that I was wrong to refer to my Watchmen copy as a 'Trade Paperback'.

QUOTE (maian @ Feb 24 2011, 11:15 PM) *
I've always held that a graphic novel is a self-contained story that has a beginning, middle and end that was conceived as such, so even if it was released as separate issues then collected, it is still a single work and would be considered a graphic novel. Trade paperbacks, therefore, would be collections of issues in an ongoing series that has no such defined arc.

Not in my world sonny. When I were a lad I waited over a year and a half for that bloody comic to finish

Even TPBs have story arcs. Most collections contain a continuing story within a series. For example, Batman: Year One is 4 issues within the ongoing Batman series.

Watchmen certainly wasn't intended to be read as one volume . The symmetry of issue 5 shows that - something that works brilliantly in a single comic but not so well as a chapter in a book. Moore was always a few issues behind schedule and in the early stages doubted he had enough material for 12 comics - he was sort of making it up as he went along. Also at the time the graphic novel wasn't that well established and not seen at the time by publishers as profitible as comics

Graphic Novel was a lazy term used mainly by the media and retailers to promote and profit from the comic boom which was in part kicked off by the reception of the Watchmen the COMIC, (not the book/TPB/Graphic Novel or what have you).

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Mar 25 2011, 04:33 PM
Post #1193

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Really interesting interview with Alan Moore
He's busy!

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Nov 4 2011, 08:46 PM
Post #1194

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

So is anyone reading any of DC's New 52?

I've tried out Action Comics, Batman, Batman: The Dark Knight, Detective Comics, and Justice League. After a couple of issues I decided to drop Dark Knight and Detective Comics, because following three Batman stories at once was getting confusing and they weren't quite as good as Batman.

Action Comics is definitely the stand-out title for me. Grant Morrison bringing Superman back to his roots in a contemporary setting. I tended to not like Superman because he's invulnerable to everything but Kryptonite. Morrison's Superman can take a mighty pounding, but he still gets hurt. He bleeds, he gets shocked, he is visibly injured by all the stuff thrown at him, and that just makes it more interesting. It's gorgeous to look at, too.

I've not seen any comics in stores, but the DC Comics app on iOS is very good for reading them on, and is updated pretty much as soon as new issues come out.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Nov 4 2011, 08:47 PM

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Nov 4 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #1195

We gotta make the planet safe for the kiddies

Member No.: 2,367

I enjoyed Batwoman, and Justice League. Wether they will keep my attention depends.

I adored Legion: Origins. It's proper old skool LSH.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Nov 5 2011, 06:43 PM
Post #1196

Serenity.

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Nov 4 2011, 08:46 PM) *
So is anyone reading any of DC's New 52?

I've tried out Action Comics, Batman, Batman: The Dark Knight, Detective Comics, and Justice League. After a couple of issues I decided to drop Dark Knight and Detective Comics, because following three Batman stories at once was getting confusing and they weren't quite as good as Batman.

Action Comics is definitely the stand-out title for me. Grant Morrison bringing Superman back to his roots in a contemporary setting. I tended to not like Superman because he's invulnerable to everything but Kryptonite. Morrison's Superman can take a mighty pounding, but he still gets hurt. He bleeds, he gets shocked, he is visibly injured by all the stuff thrown at him, and that just makes it more interesting. It's gorgeous to look at, too.

I've not seen any comics in stores, but the DC Comics app on iOS is very good for reading them on, and is updated pretty much as soon as new issues come out.

It's been so long since I've actually purchased comics. I'd be interested, but the price came as a bit of a shock 2.49 for a single digital issue? I know it's not much really, but it is too much for me.
Superman seems really interesting, but the writing in the Batman sneak peak I read was atrocious.

Also, what happens if you stop using ios devices in. The future? Is the DC app cross platform?

This post has been edited by monkeyman: Nov 5 2011, 06:47 PM

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Nov 5 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #1197

It works with Comixology or whatever it's called, which is on iOS, PC, and Android.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Nov 5 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #1198

Serenity.

Oh cool then.

They really should price all comics at .99p. They'd sell shitloads

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Nov 5 2011, 11:56 PM
Post #1199

If they did that, nobody but serious collectors would buy the paper comics.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Nov 6 2011, 12:00 AM
Post #1200

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Nov 5 2011, 11:56 PM) *
If they did that, nobody but serious collectors would buy the paper comics.

But they wouldn't need to spend as much on production.

+Quote Post

82 Pages V  « < 78 79 80 81 82 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 04:14 AM