> Comics - what are you reading?, your thoughts
holly
post Nov 16 2004, 02:44 PM
Post #16

holly

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,298

QUOTE (whitey @ Nov 16 2004, 01:49 PM)
the idiots who work in forbidden planet in manchester are a bunch of shits as well.

thats quite true, i dont like their patronising tones and i feel judged when i place my comics on the counter!
manchester has an ashamedly low number of comic shops. have you been to the new one thats just opened - travelling man?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MikeN
post Nov 16 2004, 04:27 PM
Post #17

Guests

Thankfully I've never had a negative experience with the staff in my local comic shops but I did have an (indirect) encounter with a customer which annoyed me no end. It wasn't a big deal but the person in question was a right twat.

I'm browsing the shelves of an empty comic shop with a friend of mine when in walks a girl and two guys. They stop at the roleplaying section and the girl spots something and makes appreciative noises like "oooh I wonder what this is like?". One of the blokes then says in a slow,smug 'aren't-I-so-witty' tone something along the likes of "Well...why don't you just OPEN THE BOOK and read it?". I gritted my teeth and exchanged a sidelong glance with my friend. I had the overwhelming urge to turn round and make a slow sarcastic clapping for this twat who probably thought he was the modern Oscar-bloody-Wilde.

Mike.

+Quote Post
whitey
post Nov 16 2004, 05:46 PM
Post #18

never rub another man's rhubarb

Member No.: 2,308

QUOTE (holly @ Nov 16 2004, 02:44 PM)
thats quite true, i dont like their patronising tones and i feel judged when i place my comics on the counter!
manchester has an ashamedly low number of comic shops. have you been to the new one thats just opened  - travelling man?

where? I like the leeds one.

best comic shop i ever shopped in is david's comics in brighton. they have everything despite being a tiny tiny shop, as opposed to FP in manc which is massive but has fuck all.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Nov 17 2004, 07:47 AM
Post #19

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (whitey @ Nov 16 2004, 05:46 PM)

best comic shop i ever shopped in is david's comics in brighton. they have everything despite being a tiny tiny shop, as opposed to FP in manc which is massive but has fuck all.

I have been to VERY FEW comic shops, maybe three in total. FP in Bristol, one in Canterbury... and Davids Comics in Brighton. What a co-inky-dink! I bought the first volume of Battle Royale.

+Quote Post
holly
post Nov 17 2004, 09:43 AM
Post #20

holly

Member No.: 2,298

QUOTE (whitey @ Nov 16 2004, 05:46 PM)

well i havent actually been to it myself, but its somewhere around the northern quarter apparantly, i need to get there cuz the leeds one is pretty amazing. they make more of an effort to stock interesting comics rather than what they think is cool and they actually seem to care. they also got a really got stock of indie comics which is amazing

havent been to the brighton one, will check it out when im there for new year.

forbidden planet is so depressing, but its still where i find myself on almost a weekly basis staring at things i cant afford yet!

+Quote Post
Amazongirl
post Nov 17 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #21

Jaffacake Scoffing Geekgirl

Member No.: 2,333

Im stuck reading books at the mo...

Last comic I read was Chobits and FLCL since I finished buying them both a couple of months back

*i have no money now*

+Quote Post
Excelsior
post Nov 17 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #22

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,288

I blame the diminutive Travelling Man in York for my Authority / Stormwatch habit. I do buy graphic novels off Amazon if I can't find them in York, but I like the guys at Travelling Man so give them my custom when I can. I also bought a rather cool Batman-standing-on-a-corner-of-a-roof-with-Batarang figure from them. The Leeds one is about three times the size of course so they stock a little more!

Interesting thing with the Forbidden Planets (probably my first experience of a really big comic store - been to Newcastle, London, Sheffield, Leeds) is that apparently there're now two slightly different brands. The original stores got split between north and south with different owners, which is why there are 2 different web sites with very similar names. The Leeds branch people explained it to me... I think though my first comic shop experience was in York years back at Nu Earth - probably the first time I even became aware of the existence of dedicated comics shops (other than WHSmiths!) and I still have my Aliens v Predators comics that I bought from Nu Earth. I think it's now a Debenhams or something...!

Oh, and if you happen to be in Sheffield see if you can find the Sheffield Space Centre. It's a little way down from the centre of town but worth a visit. There's also a very small Forbidden Planet there and a few other dedicated RPG gaming sort of shops.

+Quote Post
whitey
post Nov 17 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Amazongirl @ Nov 17 2004, 07:17 PM)
Last comic I read was Chobits and FLCL since I finished buying them both a couple of months back

FLCL is easily one of the best cartoons I've ever seen but the comics make no sense to me. I just can't follow them.

+Quote Post
Scribble
post Nov 19 2004, 01:00 PM
Post #24

Guests

Blue Monday, Supreme Power, Hopeless Savages, Powers, Kabuki, Ex Machina, Sleeper, Scott Pilgrim and so on. Four Letter Worlds (*cough* shameless plug) is out in January, and it's ACE.

+Quote Post
Lee
post Nov 20 2004, 01:45 PM
Post #25

Genre Spanner

Member No.: 2,459

I'm reading the "Astonishing X-Men" at the mo, Joss Whedon does X-men it's good stuff, Just reread "The Dark Knight Returns" and I've finally got hold of the Watchmen which I never read when it released.

+Quote Post
Amazongirl
post Nov 20 2004, 04:19 PM
Post #26

Jaffacake Scoffing Geekgirl

Member No.: 2,333

QUOTE (whitey @ Nov 17 2004, 11:35 PM)
FLCL is easily one of the best cartoons I've ever seen but the comics make no sense to me. I just can't follow them.

After watching the anime it made a bit more sence

It still doesnt make much sence though

I love it and want the dvds!

+Quote Post
OverTilt
post Nov 20 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #27

One Pinter

Member No.: 2,779

I do follow Ranma, which I think is brilliantly absurd. I'm always reading Calvin and Hobbes. There's another, Norwegian comic I read that's called Pondus (in Norway, at least). It's published in England as well, I think, as a daily newspaper strip. It's about a busdriver who's fanatical about Liverpool and has a best friend who digs on the bigger, less beautiful ladies (who don't dig on him.). It's hard to describe properly. If you know what I'm talking about, let me know.

Hmm... I followed Spawn for a bit many years ago, but it turned to shit. Also, I hate that every single new Marvel comic these days tries to mimick the style of Spawn. There's no difference in style anymore. Which is why I'm so glad they finally published League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in Norway. Glad I got to read that.

Other than those... Nah. I read a fair few webcomics. Sinfest, Megatokyo, Penny Arcade, Narbonic, Sluggy Freelance etc.

+Quote Post
whitey
post Nov 21 2004, 02:21 AM
Post #28

QUOTE (Amazongirl @ Nov 20 2004, 04:19 PM)
I love it and want the dvds!

are you multi-region? if so I got mine here.

+Quote Post
ella
post Nov 22 2004, 01:24 PM
Post #29

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

QUOTE (OverTilt @ Nov 20 2004, 05:39 PM)
I'm always reading Calvin and Hobbes.

Oh Yes. I love Calvin and Hobbes. biggrin.gif

Just finished a Liberty Meadows book, which I loved. Laugh out loud. Also reading a lot of Player Vs Player online.

Read Preludes and Nocturnes recently and the rest of the Sandman series will definately be on my Xmas list. I picked the first one up from Memrobilia at the NEC and I am back there this weekend, so I will be a' hunting for some cheap graphic novels. Will try not to spend more than I make, but I can't promise anything wink.gif

+Quote Post
Excelsior
post Nov 22 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #30

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,288

QUOTE (ella @ Nov 22 2004, 01:24 PM)
Oh Yes. I love Calvin and Hobbes.  biggrin.gif

Just finished a Liberty Meadows book, which I loved. Laugh out loud. Also reading a lot of Player Vs Player online.

Read Preludes and Nocturnes recently and the rest of the Sandman series will definately be on my Xmas list. I picked the first one up from Memrobilia at the NEC and I am back there this weekend, so I will be a' hunting for some cheap graphic novels. Will try not to spend more than I make, but I can't promise anything wink.gif

Oooh, the Sandman series. *Twists through 180 degrees* Yup, all still there! It took me so long to get them all that the style of my collection changes halfway through! Great if you can get them in one go and read through at speed, it'll hang together better then.

On the topic of The Dark Knight Returns - I love that book. My copy is quite literally coming apart at the seams. "There are seven working defences from this position. Three disarm with minimal contact. Three kill. The other... *KRAK* hurts." Niiiiiice tongue.gif

+Quote Post

82 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 03:37 PM