Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comics - what are you reading?, your thoughts
holly
post Dec 26 2004, 04:02 PM
Post #46

holly

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,298

QUOTE (dismember @ Dec 23 2004, 02:38 PM)
I just finished Maus by Art Spiegleman
it was amazing.. i highly recommend it.

i had to read maus for my uni course i loved it, its so dark!

oooh i got a bundle of comics for xmas im so happy! anyone ever read hothead paisan! was in a bad mood the other day and felt a bit like her!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Deaths Head
post Dec 27 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #47

Guests

For Christmas I finally got some Hellblazer - why I've never read this before is beyond me. I mean, the guy is a chain-smoking alcoholic, tail-chasing Londoner who has a habit of making his life worse with each passing moment. I sympathise, and yet can't help but castigate.

Also, the Sleeze Brothers, an old Marvel UK title from the time of Death's Head and Dragon's Claws. Very funny.

Oh, and more Invisibles. Pure genius.

+Quote Post
Excelsior
post Dec 28 2004, 01:45 AM
Post #48

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,288

QUOTE (Deaths Head @ Dec 27 2004, 10:43 PM)
For Christmas I finally got some Hellblazer - why I've never read this before is beyond me. I mean, the guy is a chain-smoking alcoholic, tail-chasing Londoner who has a habit of making his life worse with each passing moment. I sympathise, and yet can't help but castigate.

Also, the Sleeze Brothers, an old Marvel UK title from the time of Death's Head and Dragon's Claws. Very funny.

Oh, and more Invisibles. Pure genius.

Where on Earth (or equivalent in a parallel universe) did you manage to find the Sleeze Brothers? I had my original copies until a few years ago, along with the first UK runs of Dragon's Claws and Death's Head - have they been quietly re-released as trade paperbacks at all? You can, of course, see Death's Head's Transformers debut in the Transformers graphic novels which are out. Might even be able to sort you a good head shot for your avatar. For the right price, yes? cool.gif

+Quote Post
ella
post Dec 29 2004, 03:52 PM
Post #49

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

Just finished Liberty Meadows 2 - Creature Comforts which I got for Christmas. Great stuff. Now I am ploughing through my boyfriend's PVP collection.

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Dec 29 2004, 03:55 PM
Post #50

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

All the Dreamwave Transformers stuff, along with Devil`s Due`s take on GI Joe/Transformers. Not a bad crossover, if a little facile. Still, it`s very readable.

And DDP`s ongoing GI Joe series, a franchise I`m finding myself fall in love with again, after a long time having forgotten about it.

+Quote Post
Lee
post Dec 29 2004, 04:02 PM
Post #51

Genre Spanner

Member No.: 2,459

At the moment I'm reading Joss Wheadon's X-men series. It kicks much ass as they say.

+Quote Post
NoShow
post Dec 30 2004, 05:53 AM
Post #52

Guests

the goon (also from outside nashville - woo!)
the new 30 Days of Night story
walking dead

-j.

+Quote Post
Cubie
post Dec 30 2004, 08:10 AM
Post #53

sankey/penketh reprazent

Member No.: 2,986

Not a fan of superhero comics and stuff with muscles and guns, it's all a little too homo-erotic. I like most of what Jhonen Vasquez has done, 'Beg The Question' by Bob Fingerman is an amazing graphic novel (that started out as comic 'minimum wage') and also Bear by Jamie Smart makes me chuckle.
And 'The Pro' by some guy i cant remember, a hysterical dissection of superhero comics with a prostitute-turned-superhero.

be sure to check out www.lickmyjesus.com their comics are hilarious

anyways...

+Quote Post
vixta
post Dec 30 2004, 08:14 AM
Post #54

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,852

hmmm, well the only comics i've ever read are:

watchmen
v for vendetta
troubled souls
for a few troubles more
true faith

anyone got any suggestions for what to read next?

+Quote Post
Crap at Subbuteo
post Dec 31 2004, 05:46 PM
Post #55

Guests

Blue Monday, Scooter Girl and Hopeless Savages are doing it for me at the moment. All thoroughly reccommended..

+Quote Post
Douglas Nicol
post Dec 31 2004, 09:59 PM
Post #56

Four Pinter

Member No.: 2,843

Does anyone here remember Starblazers? They were small "Commando comic book" sized comics that had about 65 pages, they ran for 10 years and featured Sci Fi and Fantasy storylines.

I've got a complete set of them from 1979-89. The gem has got to be though that this is where Grant Morrison got his first work, and I've got the relevant issues signed by him.

I'm also collecting the Trigan Empire. These were first printed in Ranger, then Look and Learn magazine.

Imagine a world with empires that parallell the Romans, the Byzantines and others, then add in some Flash Gordon style retro tech.

If you're curious check this site out.

http://trigan.com/cgi-bin/guest.pl

+Quote Post
Gnashville
post Jan 1 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #57

Guests

For about 10 years I lived and breathed 2000AD. But I grew up, comic got crap or whatever and stopped reading it....

I parted company at around the time of the Judge Dredd 'Dead Man' story. I've read a few graphic novels since, like the classic 'Apocalypse War' but the magic isn't there any more... Have I become too cynical???

This post has been edited by Gnashville: Jan 1 2005, 04:27 PM

+Quote Post
Douglas Nicol
post Jan 1 2005, 05:54 PM
Post #58

Four Pinter

Member No.: 2,843

QUOTE (Gnashville @ Jan 1 2005, 04:24 PM)
For about 10 years I lived and breathed 2000AD. But I grew up, comic got crap or whatever and stopped reading it....

I parted company at around the time of the Judge Dredd 'Dead Man' story. I've read a few graphic novels since, like the classic 'Apocalypse War' but the magic isn't there any more... Have I become too cynical???

I gave up 2000AD years ago as well, round about the time they introduced the Halo Jones character. I remember some of the classics like the introduction of the Dark Judges, and the aforementioned Apocalypse War with Block Mania preceding it.

I was also fond of the first Rogue Trooper series before it got a bit strange, and even the VC's. I've been hoping for a reprint of that but it seems I won't see it. Also, stories like the ABC Warriors and even Strontium Dog were more my liking.

+Quote Post
Jinx
post Jan 4 2005, 11:33 AM
Post #59

Four Pinter

Member No.: 2,974

QUOTE (Cubie @ Dec 30 2004, 09:10 AM)
Not a fan of superhero comics and stuff with muscles and guns, it's all a little too homo-erotic. I like most of what Jhonen Vasquez has done, 'Beg The Question' by Bob Fingerman is an amazing graphic novel (that started out as comic 'minimum wage') and also Bear by Jamie Smart makes me chuckle.
And 'The Pro' by some guy i cant remember, a hysterical dissection of superhero comics with a prostitute-turned-superhero.

be sure to check out www.lickmyjesus.com their comics are hilarious

anyways...

Agreed. Beg The Question is brilliant. One of my favourite comics of all time.
And "The Pro" was written by Garth Ennis, I believe. Which figures...

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jan 5 2005, 05:30 PM
Post #60

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

i used to be a big x-men comic fan, collected most of the comics for around 3 years, then ran out of money and haven't picked it up again. went into a comic shop the other day, read one and went 'what the fuck is going on?' not reading them for about 5 years means you miss a lot!
i stopped reading after the onslaught crossover (which rocked) - can anyone bring me up to speed in a concise yet informative manner?

+Quote Post

82 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 10:51 AM