Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

82 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comics - what are you reading?, your thoughts
Deaths Head
post Jan 5 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #61

Guests

QUOTE (Excelsior @ Dec 28 2004, 01:45 AM)
Where on Earth (or equivalent in a parallel universe) did you manage to find the Sleeze Brothers?  I had my original copies until a few years ago, along with the first UK runs of Dragon's Claws and Death's Head - have they been quietly re-released as trade paperbacks at all?  You can, of course, see Death's Head's Transformers debut in the Transformers graphic novels which are out.  Might even be able to sort you a good head shot for your avatar.  For the right price, yes?  cool.gif

Try Amazon.co.uk for the Sleeze Brothers - it's second hand and I may have got hold of the only one (sorry!) but give it a try. Otherwise whack it into Google - I recall seeing a few sites selling second hand ones.

No trades as of yet for Death's Head or Dragon's Claws, which is a pain in the arse. I've got a complete run of DC somewhere, and half of the original DH run as well. What I'd really kill for (heh) is a copy of the DH graphic novel "The Body in Question", with stunning airbrushed art from Geoff Senior, and the origins of my namesake.

Oh, and I've got the original Transformers issues with his debut, but ta for the offer wink.gif What did you make of Death's Head II then (if you ever read it - wouldn't blame you if you didn't)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
philt
post Jan 6 2005, 08:49 PM
Post #62

You ain't seen me. Right?

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,261

QUOTE (Douglas Nicol @ Jan 1 2005, 05:54 PM)
I gave up 2000AD years ago as well, round about the time they introduced the Halo Jones character.  I remember some of the classics like the introduction of the Dark Judges, and the aforementioned Apocalypse War with Block Mania preceding it.

I was also fond of the first Rogue Trooper series before it got a bit strange, and even the VC's.  I've been hoping for a reprint of that but it seems I won't see it.  Also, stories like the ABC Warriors and even Strontium Dog were more my liking.

Ahh the old cop out 2000ad isn't any good any more.... sad.gif

+Quote Post
Excelsior
post Jan 6 2005, 09:29 PM
Post #63

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,288

QUOTE (Deaths Head @ Jan 5 2005, 11:32 PM)
Try Amazon.co.uk for the Sleeze Brothers - it's second hand and I may have got hold of the only one (sorry!) but give it a try. Otherwise whack it into Google - I recall seeing a few sites selling second hand ones.

No trades as of yet for Death's Head or Dragon's Claws, which is a pain in the arse. I've got a complete run of DC somewhere, and half of the original DH run as well. What I'd really kill for (heh) is a copy of the DH graphic novel "The Body in Question", with stunning airbrushed art from Geoff Senior, and the origins of my namesake.

Oh, and I've got the original Transformers issues with his debut, but ta for the offer wink.gif What did you make of Death's Head II then (if you ever read it - wouldn't blame you if you didn't)?

The Body In Question was a bit gorgeous, wasn't it? I always enjoyed Senior's work. I think I still have some issues of Death's Head II floating around, I ran into it by accident when I picked up the old Strip compendium comic years back and then saw some of the stand-alone comics in a comic store and bought them out of interest to try and figure out what was going on! Art seemed a little variable and I didn't really have a complete run so it was a little difficult to get into...

+Quote Post
Deaths Head
post Jan 9 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #64

Guests

Death's Head 2 ruined the character for me - it was when Marvel UK was trying to compete with Marvel US for Rob Liefield-styled 'big-guns-and-big-tits' characters, which DH was never about really (black humour and violence, yes). This led to the bizarre and quite-bad 'Overkill' set of characters (apart from Motormouth, who was a teenage punk girl who couldn't stop swearing).

Basically, Death's Head lost his trademark speech impediment, got a horrible new body and new personality bearing little resemblance to his old one(no more killing for money - more 'superheroics'), a busty sidekick (Spratt was killed) and guest-starred with the X-Men far, far too much.

Simon Furman got revenge though - he scripted an issue of the US "What If..." with Geoff Senior on art duties in which Death's Head had never been killed. Particularly funny for DH's casual use-and-dispatch of most of Marvel's main characters, and DH's ruminations on how he'd hate to be a 'hero'.

+Quote Post
tameblue
post Jan 10 2005, 08:06 PM
Post #65

huh?

Member No.: 2,933

Don't know who's interested but having visited the marvel web site, there's a cracking list of desktops to download....currently sporting a rather fetching Night Crawler number....

Marvel goodies

Hope that link works...if it doesn't ...well I'm sure you'll find it

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post Feb 1 2005, 05:15 PM
Post #66

Varga Girl

Member No.: 2,531

I just found this new comic Living With Zombies. It is really funny and very much like Shaun in that the are trying to survive a zombie invasion, but they are just a couple of guys. In fact, the artists themselves are the main characters. Check it out.

+Quote Post
pOgO
post Feb 1 2005, 05:18 PM
Post #67

Playing Catch Up

Member No.: 3,307

PvP
Mega Tokyo

+Quote Post
Middle Class Hob...
post Feb 4 2005, 08:16 PM
Post #68

Speaking up for asseholes everywhere

Member No.: 3,304

Which ones do you read? I'm a huge X-Men fan A: because they rock and B: Because I live in rural Ireland and it's hard to get anything else cept Spiderman. I'm also into Sandman, American Spledour (love that movie) and anything by Alan Moore.

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Feb 4 2005, 08:24 PM
Post #69

Avid Gamer

Member No.: 2,732

I used to collect a few, not bought any in ages though!Heres what i used to collect:

Ghost Rider
2000AD
Pitt
Deathlok

ghost rider was my main one and i managed to blag get hundreds and hindreds of 2000AD's, ones from before i was even born, some still have the free keyerings and pens etc on!I also have the entire of the necropolis story!The dark judges were kick ass!

Edit: you here there is going to be a rouge trooper computer game??!!

Edit Edit: Ive actualy got a 2000AD relased the exact day i was born! 22 march 86!

This post has been edited by SuperSaiyanStoner: Feb 4 2005, 08:27 PM

+Quote Post
spacedog
post Feb 4 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #70

Guests

I don't have much time to read as many comics as I used to but if I can I'll read
Hero Bear and the Kid, Hellblazer, Adam Strange, 100 Bullets, Toe Tags, Amazing Spider-Man.
I would recommend League of Extra-Ordinary Gentlemen, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Sandman, Love and Rockets, Maus, Concrete, The Ultimates, 30 Days, Jack Staff, Bazooka Jules and many others. Just get yourself down your local comic shop, browse and see what takes your fancy.
If you can't get to a comic shop try ordering over the net. You could try
Mega City Comics
or
Comics International
for more information.

+Quote Post
Middle Class Hob...
post Feb 4 2005, 08:36 PM
Post #71

Speaking up for asseholes everywhere

Member No.: 3,304

Watchmen is the greatest comic ever, It's better then any book I've ever read. Not a big 2000AD fan, I started getting into Judge Dredd then the movie came out, I was very impressionable back then, I still have flashbacks sometimes (So cold)

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Feb 4 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #72

Avid Gamer

Member No.: 2,732

ive never seen the dudge dredd movie and from the sounds of it i dont want to!

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Feb 4 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #73

The sick product of a crazy society

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,263

QUOTE (Middle Class Hobo @ Feb 4 2005, 08:36 PM)
Watchmen is the greatest comic ever, It's better then any book I've ever read.

Watchmen is fantastic, but I'm not sure I'd go that far myself. Moore and Gibbons are technically brilliant; they do a great job of combining the text and art, and the plot is a great deconstruction of the whole superhero myth.

Sandman is beautifully written, but I can't help thinking it's a whole series about a massive fuck-up who thinks the solution to the world's problems is to top himself.

The Invisibles is a mad, anarchic free-for-all, a wild rollercoaster of a comic and well recommended.

As far as I'm concerned, though, the ultimate comic is Preacher. The Angelville sequence has to be one of the most shocking and engrossing stories I've ever come across.

+Quote Post
MotorWerk
post Feb 5 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #74

navigating miles high

Member No.: 2,276

Adventures in the Rifle Brigade.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Feb 5 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #75

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Got the 1st issue of the new Black Panther. Interesting story so far except for two things..

5th Century African tribesmen say things like "kiss my butt" and "stay cool"

Theres (another) jibe at the French being cowards.

+Quote Post

82 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 07:49 PM