IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> THE OFFICE vs EXTRAS, It's like film vesus..but not!
Which do you like best?
Which do you like best?
THE OFFICE (UK) [ 31 ] ** [64.58%]
EXTRAS [ 15 ] ** [31.25%]
Both rubbish [ 2 ] ** [4.17%]
Total Votes: 48
Guests cannot vote 
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Nov 1 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #16

We gotta make the planet safe for the kiddies

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,367

The Office kept it's quality level high throughout all 14 episodes.

Extras totally lost it in the second run. The gay play rubbish and how-on-earth-will-stupid-Maggie-fuck-it-up-this-week ruined it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 1 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #17

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

I think the second series of Extras is one of the cleverest pieces of television writing, ever.

So yeah, Extras.

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 1 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #18

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

It may be clever but I personally thought the stories in the second series were far weaker than the first series. The first two or three were very good at showing Andy's problems dealing with his compromises and the pressures of his new-found fame/infamy, but it really lost it in the last few episodes. The gay play episode was wholly misjudged, turning Andy from a likeable character to a confused arsehole. The final episode felt too light on him as a result, giving him a happy ending that he had not earned.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 1 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

I thought it was blissfully well structured.

A gleeful swipe at the business of show and a very effective character study, with a believable arc. It reminded me of the kind of comedy I studied at university, particularly 'The Rehearsal', by the wonderful George Villiers.

If only everything on TV was so 'bad'.

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 1 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #20

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I didn't say it was bad, just that I personally thought the second series was lacking in comparison to the first. My main problem is the gay play episode, which I found rather distasteful, and which soured my view of the series up to that point. The first episodes were very good and the last episode was also good in and of itself, perfectly illustrating the distancing effect of fame, but that particular episode seemed terribly out of place.

This post has been edited by maian: Nov 1 2007, 08:32 PM

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 1 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

I know you didn't say it was bad. I was just pointing out that Extras series two isn't (in my opinion), but since some people do perceive it as poor I'd happily have everything on TV be that rubbish (i.e. brilliant).

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Nov 2 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #22

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

The Office was fantastic. But Extras was better. I never expected Gervais/Merchant to come up with a follow-up near the quality of The Office, but I think they surpassed it. Andy & Maggie's relationship was lovely, Barry & Darren were hilarious and for the most part the celebrity cameos worked really well.

Above all, it is, regardless of genre, one of the most brilliantly acted shows in recent years.

+Quote Post
Peronel
post Nov 2 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #23

Ummm...

Member No.: 6,287

I forgot to add re: cringeworthy - Stephen Merchant in Extras. That ep in season two when he had Maggie over and had to try and unclog the toilet!. Made me cringe more than anything from The Office.

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Nov 2 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #24

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Member No.: 4,536

I think I have to go for The Office, I possibly found individual bits of Extras funnier, such as the "how to act" sequence, but I thought the Office had a far more cohesive universe, touching morality and rewarding plot arc that made it truly great.

+Quote Post
sarkybarker
post Nov 4 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #25

The Tea and Coffee making facilities left a lot to be desired.

Member No.: 5,987

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 1 2007, 05:00 PM)
I think the second series of Extras is one of the cleverest pieces of television writing, ever.

ohmy.gif

Each episode followed the same structure. Andy wanted to get a line, Maggie wanted to get a shag and they followed it with a celebrity saying something "shocking".

The Office wins. At least that was good in some ways.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 4 2007, 03:44 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

QUOTE (sarkybarker @ Nov 4 2007, 03:18 PM)
Each episode followed the same structure. Andy wanted to get a line, Maggie wanted to get a shag and they followed it with a celebrity saying something "shocking".

That's a very simplistic analysis, and one I disagree with.

I'm very fond of 'the play within a play' and I think it was used to particularly good effect here. As well as satirising television and celebrity, the second series charted a man selling his soul by comprimising his art and sacrificing his dignity. It was full of great comic archetypes, but also moments of believable friendship within a hyper-real universe. There also seemed to me to be a lot of self-exploration on Gervais' part and his relationship with Steve - who always seemed to me genuinely annoyed at Ricky's embracing of the celebrity lifestyle, pals and specifically Jonathan Ross. The celebrities weren't there for novelty, they were integral to the effective pastiche of showbusiness, whether there to show up Andy's insecurities, lambast their own public image or get a condom stuck in their hair.

I think it's genius.

+Quote Post
sarkybarker
post Nov 4 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 4 2007, 03:44 PM)
the second series charted a man selling his soul by comprimising his art and sacrificing his dignity.

Ricky 'Diana concert' Gervais himself then.

The celeb cameos seemed very forced and tedious to me. Radcliffe playing with condoms, Corbitt snorking coke, Bloom (i can't even go there, a bad actor spoofing himself into a very bad actor). All i'm saying is i personally found the programme to be very predictable. It had it's moments but they were too fleeting.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 4 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

Yep, but I'd argue that's a matter of opinion not reflective of the show's quality - which as far as I'm concerned is extremely high.

I stand by my original statement, that caused your smilie man such shock.

As for Ricky personally - I totally agree that Andy is an exploration of Ricky's character and what he'd be willing to sacrifice for fame. Luckily he didn't have to sell out to get 'The Office' made, the TV landscape might be a quite different place if he had. The Brent Dance at the concert for Diana was perfectly pitched comic cringe - if you don't think Ricky Gervais has a sense of humour about himself or his public image just watch the Jonathan Ross montage. I guarantee Stephen wrote that!

+Quote Post
sarkybarker
post Nov 4 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 4 2007, 04:13 PM)
Yep, but I'd argue that's a matter of opinion not reflective of the show's quality - which as far as I'm concerned is extremely high.

Of course, it's all about opinions. I really liked Chegwin missing his cues, and the moment Andy looked to the audience and saw all those catchphrases on their shirts. And of course Mr Merchant. It just wasn't consistent.

And yes, Gervais is very aware of himself and his place in the media. It's made him a very rich man and good luck to him for that.

ohmy.gif Shock smilie man just got caught out when the wind changed direction. Don't worry about him. He'll be ok.

+Quote Post
mcraigclark
post Nov 6 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #30

I'm a poncey thrush.

Member No.: 5,057

I love The Office, but Extras wins this one for me.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 07:00 PM