Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flight of the Conchords, NZ's 4th most popular digifolk parodists
Anni
post Nov 14 2007, 12:50 AM
Post #46

OI OI!

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 6,201

Well several of my friends have said they've seen Bret and/or Jemaine around, and I found out that a classmate's (kind of a friend...) mum's friend is Bret's mum. lol. I'm hoping for some kind of gig in the next few months or so too...
It's somewhat inevitable that I'll see them around the place this summer though. I'll just try not to stare. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Anni: Nov 14 2007, 12:50 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Nov 14 2007, 09:15 AM
Post #47

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

I finally managed to remember that it was on - yay! Steve (flatmate with good sense of humour) and I managed to get the lounge to ourselves to watch it without the girls.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Nov 14 2007, 09:51 AM
Post #48

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Nov 14 2007, 10:15 AM)
I finally managed to remember that it was on - yay! Steve (flatmate with good sense of humour) and I managed to get the lounge to ourselves to watch it without the girls.

Last night's was excellent!

+Quote Post
Julie
post Nov 14 2007, 02:08 PM
Post #49

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

The first series is 20 bucks at Virgin, I'm guessing I won't be disappointed if I pick it up? I've never seen an episode, but I've seen them do one of their live bits a few times and I enjoyed it.

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Nov 14 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #50

We gotta make the planet safe for the kiddies

Member No.: 2,367

Last night's had two of the best songs in the entire series and was quite funny, although they hammered the 'She's the guy' gag a bit much.

+Quote Post
fear_of_pop
post Nov 14 2007, 04:39 PM
Post #51

fuzzy little man peach

Member No.: 2,279

Bret smiled!
Twice!

They don't do that very much.

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Nov 14 2007, 05:21 PM
Post #52

Toasty

Member No.: 2,939

QUOTE (Julie @ Nov 14 2007, 06:08 AM)
The first series is 20 bucks at Virgin, I'm guessing I won't be disappointed if I pick it up? 

Hells naw. Grab it.

The lack of extras on the S1 set is disappointing, but when the show is this good it doesn't seem to burn as much.

+Quote Post
ChromeBaby
post Nov 14 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #53

No Pinter

Group: Junior Members
Member No.: 6,562

QUOTE (Julie @ Nov 14 2007, 03:08 PM)
The first series is 20 bucks at Virgin, I'm guessing I won't be disappointed if I pick it up?  I've never seen an episode, but I've seen them do one of their live bits a few times and I enjoyed it.

Buy it! I got mine from Play.com for 15.99 if you're prepared to wait. I got mine on only this Sunday and I've watched the lot!

It's a beautifully judged, delicately underplayed comedy of manners. Not often LOL funny just continuously chucklesome. And the songs are great! I wasn't that bothered by the lack of extras. DVD extras often promise more than they deliver. With obvious exceptions! biggrin.gif

I also got the radio series on CD from Play.com and have listened to the first 3 eps. It's all a bit butchered really. Songs are constantly cut up, not played in their entirety and talked over. The songs are also not stitched into the plots as well as they are in the TV series. It's also got some rather superfluous and irritating narration by Rob Brydon. Still funny though and hearing different versions of now familiar songs is interesting.

Still fascinated as to how they ended up State side. Anyone got the skinny on that?

Just feels a bit... wrong.

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 14 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #54

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (ChromeBaby @ Nov 14 2007, 07:36 PM)
Still fascinated as to how they ended up State side. Anyone got the skinny on that?

Well, like many reasonably successful comedy acts they were given an HBO special which went down quite well and led to them getting a chance at doing a show. And the rest is history. Recent history, what the French refer to as contemporary history, but still history in that it is in the past.

This post has been edited by maian: Nov 14 2007, 07:40 PM

+Quote Post
ChromeBaby
post Nov 14 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #55

No Pinter

QUOTE (maian @ Nov 14 2007, 08:38 PM)
Well, like many reasonably successful comedy acts they were given an HBO special which went down quite well and led to them getting a chance at doing a show. And the rest is history. Recent history, what the French refer to as contemporary history, but still history in that it is in the past.

Thanks maian.

I think though that for a reasonably successful, non American, comedy act to get an HBO special is quite... special. Surely they would've had to have worked their Kiwi balls off and shmoozed like beyatchas to get so far in America?

Usually if a comedy act gets a radio series here in Blighty, and it's successful, said comedy act gets a shot at the telly here. A pilot at least.

I've a feeling we fucked up somehow but you're right it's happened and it appears they've been treated with respect by our cousins.

I'll bide my time... I'll find out one way or the other... ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Nov 14 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #56

Toasty

QUOTE (ChromeBaby @ Nov 14 2007, 12:41 PM)
I think though that for a reasonably successful, non American, comedy act to get an HBO special is quite... special. Surely they would've had to have worked their Kiwi balls off and shmoozed like beyatchas to get so far in America?

Not necessarily - remember that HBO is a premium cable network here, you have to pay extra to get it, and as such is able to push boundaries and take a lot of risks with their programming. Full credit to whatever eagle-eyed exec saw Bret and Jemaine in particular and thought "That's a series!", but it does make some sense that they would be looking to expand their comedy prospects; they have always been more well-known for their dramas, esp. in the last few years, and besides Entourage you can see how they'd want to fill out that slate. (Curb is still on the bubble re: whether or not it'll be back for another season.)

This post has been edited by thirtyhelens: Nov 14 2007, 08:54 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 14 2007, 08:53 PM
Post #57

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Considerable touring in the US would have played a part in it, but HBO in general are more attuned to offering up chances to more left-field artists than other networks would be, so as long as they had some sort of contact with HBO then they would have been in with a shot.

I personally think it's far better that they went to HBO than to the Beeb. The confusion over their accents plays better when they are surrounded by Americans, and the writing talent involved in the show suggests that the development process was much more open than on BBC shows, which tend to be entirely written by their creators and, as much as I love the boys, I don't know how well they would have been able to stretch out the story of the show without the help they have been given.

Edit: Great minds, eh Nic?

This post has been edited by maian: Nov 14 2007, 08:55 PM

+Quote Post
ChromeBaby
post Nov 14 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #58

No Pinter

QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Nov 14 2007, 09:52 PM)
Not necessarily - remember that HBO is a premium cable network here, you have to pay extra to get it, and as such is able to push boundaries and take a lot of risks with their programming.  Full credit to whatever eagle-eyed exec saw Bret and Jemaine in particular and thought "That's a series!", but it does make some sense that they would be looking to expand their comedy prospects; they have always been more well-known for their dramas, esp. in the last few years, and besides Entourage you can see how they'd want to fill out that slate.  (Curb is still on the bubble re: whether or not it'll be back for another season.)

I didn't know that HBO was pay for view. Full marks indeed to that exec at HBO. Nil pwah to the Beeb!

Is FotC big State side? I've seen YouTube stuff with them on American talk shows.

I'll still enjoy pondering on the malarky that caused them to take their wares to the US of A...

+Quote Post
ChromeBaby
post Nov 14 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #59

No Pinter

QUOTE (maian @ Nov 14 2007, 09:53 PM)
The confusion over their accents plays better when they are surrounded by Americans, and the writing talent involved in the show suggests that the development process was much more open than on BBC shows, which tend to be entirely written by their creators and, as much as I love the boys, I don't know how well they would have been able to stretch out the story of the show without the help they have been given.

Mmm, that's a good point about the accents. I love the running joke about their possible country of origin! laugh.gif

Good point about the writing too. It's very true that comedy artists here are left to do their own thing. On the whole that works. I tend to dislike American comedies because the dialogue is so often overwritten. Characters can be reduced to little more than conduits for the squllion gags a second showboating of the squillions of writers behind the scenes.

FotC feels very intimate, small scale. British! It has the quality of having been written by one person.

This post has been edited by ChromeBaby: Nov 14 2007, 09:18 PM

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Nov 14 2007, 09:19 PM
Post #60

Toasty

QUOTE (ChromeBaby @ Nov 14 2007, 01:04 PM)
Is FotC big State side? I've seen YouTube stuff with them on American talk shows.

They're not massive, but they have acquired a very sturdy cult following over the past few months. First time in forever that I've had a comedy favorite of mine catch on with pretty much all of my friends at exactly the same time. We drove to Vegas in the convertible (me, Wendy and Sue) singing Business Time. :lol:

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 09:32 PM