Zoe
post May 11 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #2596

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 18 2010, 01:54 AM) *
Loved this week's, even with the very silly parts I found it rather moving. You could tear it to shreds if you focused on specifics, but the story as a whole more than made up for its holes (Gatiss' most convincing perhaps)

Heavily indebted to one of my favourite Philip K Dick short stories, but allusions of that high quality are only to be welcomed. It's very reflective of the fact his series already has a very different feel to Davies' reign. Focus on story, solid SF plots, great performances that are moving not mawkish, an unpredictable Doctor and some occasionally really gorgeous looking visuals mixed with flashes of invention.

Quality stuff.

Oh! And I'm really hoping Amy not knowing the Daleks means Moffat's found some way to undo the stupid 'everybody knows aliens exist now' thing. I hated that.

(Read 'Imposter' by Philip K Dick)

Oh oh oh!

If you haven't read Imposter, listen to it here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00mt...sents_Imposter/

One of my absolute favourites
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Everlong
post May 11 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #2597

Batman.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,397

You seem to have called the "World knows about aliens" thing too, since the Doctor pointed out that no-one remembers it, and his concerns about Amy not knowing of the Daleks.

The cracks be the method.

This post has been edited by Everlong: May 11 2010, 11:59 AM

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post May 11 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #2598

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Member No.: 3,821

I'm interested to know what time being 'unwritten' actually entails.
Surely it can't mean 'being put back to how it was before'.
Because that would still be re-writing time, just re-writing it back to how it was before. Unwritten suggests the same sort of thing as being erased.
The way it went all echoey and stuff at the end of the episode, and the way it's being referred to as the silence, would indicate time is being erased.
How will that work though?
If the Earth being transported to the Medusa Cascade is no longer in the public consciousness, is it because that bit of time is now erased?
Will people not notice that a big chunk of time is missing? Surely Inland Revenue will notice no taxable activity for those months, make requests for supplementary payments to bring peoples NI contributions up to date, and the whole time vanishing thing will be highlighted to the tax paying public at large?
I'll love to know how they're going to get around that potential glaring plot hole.

Maybe the theory m0r bandied around at the start of the series - after noticing the date on Rorys badge - is right (that Ledworth is in some sort of time bubble, caused by the crack).

Next weeks episode looks intriguing, and certainly looks like a change of pace for Simon Nye. Although I would have loved them to have trailed the episode with the phrase 'From the writer of Men Behaving Badly...'

+Quote Post
Shack
post May 11 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #2599

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ May 11 2010, 01:09 PM) *
Although I would have loved them to have trailed the episode with the phrase 'From the writer of Men Behaving Badly...'

I wonder if Leslie Ash will be in it.

CWOR![/Tony]

This post has been edited by Shack: May 11 2010, 06:52 PM

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post May 11 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #2600

We gotta make the planet safe for the kiddies

Member No.: 2,367

QUOTE (Shack @ May 11 2010, 07:51 PM) *
I wonder if Leslie Ash will be in it.

CWOR![/Tony]

Sexy women who then turn out to be fish-creatures? She'd have been perfect!

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post May 11 2010, 11:45 PM
Post #2601

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ May 11 2010, 01:09 PM) *
Next weeks episode looks intriguing, and certainly looks like a change of pace for Simon Nye. Although I would have loved them to have trailed the episode with the phrase 'From the writer of Men Behaving Badly...'

I hope it opens with Rory and The Doctor barbequeing cans of lager.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post May 15 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #2602

Group Icon

That was my favourite of the series so far. The 'tawdry quirks' line was fantastic, never mind the Peruvian folk band gag.

It got a little emotional at the end. I'm so happy for Rory, and the series if it means the end of another companion mooning over the Doctor.

Excellent stuff.

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post May 15 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #2603

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

Toby Jones was just brilliant, and a nice bluff there - I can't have been the only one cocking my head and wondering if he was John Simm reborn yet again.
And yay for Rory and his eventual disappearing ponytail.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post May 15 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #2604

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

I liked that episode. I figured from the off that the tardis "world" was the dream, as there's no way someone would have control over it like that. . Also good to see that Amy isn't going to be lusting after the Doctor at all (probably)

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post May 15 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #2605

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

Yet again, The Grauniad seem to have a different spin on it.

I wish I hadn't known who wrote it before I watched it - Rory getting from his bike to the front door seemed to owe a fair bit to Neil Morrissey.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post May 15 2010, 06:52 PM
Post #2606

Batman.

"You hold him down and I'll cut it off!"

I'm very surprised it was that good. Quite deep and emotional from Nye. Clever and funny lines mixed with some genuine creepiness ("playtime's over!"). Hope Nye writes for Who again in the future.

This'll sound soppy but the last scene between Amy and Rory made me feel all warm. Quite like the Doctor-Amy-Rory team now, I agree it's good we won't have the companion mooning over the doctor this time.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post May 15 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #2607

Batman.

Ack, it's not letting me edit my post...

Just remembered a line The Doctor said to the dream lord "No-one in the universe hates me as much as you". Considering what the dream lord turned out to be, that's quite deep.

Also reckon there will be complaints about the old people getting battered (hot fuzz memories heehee) and the doctor asking what they do instead of self harm.

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post May 16 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #2608

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE (Everlong @ May 15 2010, 08:57 PM) *
Also reckon there will be complaints about the old people getting battered (hot fuzz memories heehee) and the doctor asking what they do instead of self harm.

The old lady who got hit with a bit of wood was the same one Rufus Hound abused on Argumental. She's a tough old bird.

It was a great episode for the grown ups watching but I'm not altogether sure how much younger kids would've got from it. I think the under 10s watching might've found it bit confusing.

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post May 17 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #2609

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Member No.: 3,821

I guessed the ending.
Just wanted to point that out.

Good episode.
Also, I liked the shot of the Dream Master looking back at the Doctor from a reflection at the end of the episode. There can't be many ways to explore the inner workings of your three main characters against the backdrop of an army of killer OAPS, and kudos is deserved for this if nothing else.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post May 17 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #2610

Group Icon

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ May 16 2010, 03:23 PM) *
It was a great episode for the grown ups watching but I'm not altogether sure how much younger kids would've got from it. I think the under 10s watching might've found it bit confusing.

Nowhere near as confusing as the show was when I was an under 10

I still have no idea what's going on in 'Ghost Light', but it was my absolute favourite episode as a kid.

+Quote Post

242 Pages V  « < 172 173 174 175 176 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 03:38 PM