Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doctor Who IV, The Tin Dog
Raven
post May 30 2010, 11:57 PM
Post #2641

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Don't worry about it, it was correctly spoiler tagged, it just wasn't what I was expecting!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mousespider
post May 31 2010, 05:17 AM
Post #2642

Dr. Mrs. Claus

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,408

That ending destroyed me. I've been a big fan of Rory, he's streets ahead of Amy in my opinion, and the harshness of him being killed and erased from time turned me into a blubbering idiot.

And while I would like nothing more than to see Rory brought back, I don't think the Moff will let us off that easily. Amy's memories of him may be brought back, but I don't think he'll come back to life.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post May 31 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #2643

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

One thing is, if the ring was still there, how did it it get there if Rory never existed? I did think it might be because the inside of TARDIS sort of exists outside of space and time though.

Sucks that I had been avoiding spoilers all the time yet get told the biggest of all. Though I wasn't told about the crack taking Rory. Still sad to see him go though.

+Quote Post
m0r1arty
post May 31 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #2644

Feel the Rainbow

From: Sitting between Civil Liberties and the Data Protection Act
Member No.: 3,341

Speculation time from me,

The Dream Lord was a representation of The Doctor who used his mind to create 2 realities. 1 in the TARDIS and 1 in Levensworth.

Within that episode Amy chose Rory over the Doctor.

Since the Dream Lord obviously wanted Amy to either have a bad time of it all round or pick The Doctor over Rory what is the only way to tilt the balance in the favour of The Doctor again?

Removing Rory from ever existing means that Amy is now free to fancy The Doctor all over again satisfying his inner lust/need/want for her.

This means it's either all still going on in Amy's Choice, The Dream Lord has powers beyond that of hallucination or something even more stupendous.

Either way not a bad episode and some quality filler.

-m0r

+Quote Post
Everlong
post May 31 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #2645

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

I did have a thought, that instead of deleting people from existence, the crack deletes them from the minds of their loved ones, and part of their history. Also that Prisoner Zero escaped prison via a crack, and I'm sure either the weeping angels or vampire fish people mentioned seeing other worlds through cracks. Same could have happened to Rory.

That said, I don't see them bringing Rory back into it, unless they go for another "reset". Plus he seemed to be dead before it took him.

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post Jun 1 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #2646

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Member No.: 3,821

I'll fly in the face of popular opinion then.
I was thoroughly bored through that two parter. Up until the end.

It wasn't a bad story (like my personal most hateds, Fear Her and Tooth and Claw), just a really bland addition to a series which is otherwise competing with series 4 as the better series.
It was more like the "I had to sit through all this to get to this ending?" I felt after watching Waters of Mars than the "I had to... sit through... all this... to get to this ending?!?!?!?" I felt after watching The End of Time. Still not good though.

I like the crack. It looks like a smile.
How come the Doctor can reach in and yank things out of it, but if it touches anyone else they vanish from existence. Can't he just reach in and pull them back out?
Also, if the Tardis (or bits of it) are in there, shouldn't it have been erased from time already?

Also, I've just read the synopsis for 'The Lodger' episode.
Simon 'Men Behaving Badly' Nye should have written this one, surely?

+Quote Post
Llama
post Jun 1 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #2647

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Jun 1 2010, 02:12 PM) *
I was thoroughly bored through that two parter. Up until the end.

I was the same.

+Quote Post
Shack
post Jun 1 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #2648

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

I do still really like Matt Smith as the Doctor but I found it all, well, a bit meh on Saturday.

Caught up yesterday so avoided this thread but having read the review in the Guide (at least I think it was the Guide), they mentioned a main character getting killed off.

I immediately guessed it would be Rory, although to kill Amy off would have been a real shocker and a rather brilliant twist (even though I like her).

My main fun from the episode was trying to guess who the people were all lizarded up.

I think the series is treading water at the moment. Firmly in the comfort zone.

+Quote Post
Atara
post Jun 1 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #2649

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

QUOTE (Llama @ Jun 1 2010, 02:31 PM) *
I was the same.

And I.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jun 1 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #2650

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I'm catching up with the episodes I missed whilst I was in America.

I bloody loved Amy's Choice. It reminded me of The Constant (my favourite episode of Lost), as well as episodes of Buffy and Farscape that I'm rather fond of, and I thought that the dual timeline plot was very well implemented. It perhaps wasn't the cleverest plot - you knew that Leadworth wouldn't be real because, on a practical level, it'd be very difficult to write the show if Amy gave birth and they had to deal with a baby on the TARDIS and have exciting adventures every week - but it made both halves feel believable for the purposes of the story, so I was completely invested in Rory's "death" even though I knew it couldn't be real.

I wrote a more detailed account of my thoughts on my blog, so I'll leave off here and leave the thread until I've watched the other two episodes.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jun 2 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #2651

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Trailer for this week's episode, done in the style of a Richard Curtis film trail.

+Quote Post
Sean of the Dead
post Jun 2 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #2652

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Member No.: 2,924

Doctor Who Adverture Game One available for download.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jun 2 2010, 11:35 PM
Post #2653

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I'm all caught up now.

To be honest, I wasn't too impressed with the two-parter. I definitely think that there were some great ideas and themes in it, particularly the idea of their being "tipping points" that allow for The Doctor to essentially alter history, and the return of The Doctor relying on the humanity demonstrating the best of themselves and completely failing to do so, but apart from Rory's death there wasn't much to it that I found that interesting.

But that death, and the real crusher of having him be forgotten by Amy, was stunning and beautifully handled. Sadly I knew that it was coming thanks to the wonders of cultural osmosis, but it was still surprising to see it actually happen. I read an article a while back criticising Moffat for the lack of death (this was based on the opening three episodes, which were very light on blood-letting) but this was so much more meaningful than any of the random minor deaths that used to litter the show.

+Quote Post
m0r1arty
post Jun 3 2010, 06:49 AM
Post #2654

Feel the Rainbow

From: Sitting between Civil Liberties and the Data Protection Act
Member No.: 3,341

QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Jun 2 2010, 10:07 PM) *

Darn proxies, darn minimum system requirements, darn work around for them.

Better darn well work!

-m0r

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Jun 3 2010, 08:16 AM
Post #2655

We gotta make the planet safe for the kiddies

Member No.: 2,367

Amy ordering me about. Smashing.