Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doctor Who IV, The Tin Dog
Everlong
post Apr 6 2008, 03:49 PM
Post #466

Batman.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,397

I reckon the 'Daughter' Story will be a good'un.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Apr 6 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #467

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Someone on another forum linked this-

BINGO!

+Quote Post
Drifter
post Apr 6 2008, 07:16 PM
Post #468

Member No.: 5,387

laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Drifter: Apr 6 2008, 07:26 PM

+Quote Post
Hamish
post Apr 6 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #469

Mecha-Godzilla Attack!!

Member No.: 4,857

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Apr 6 2008, 07:10 PM)
Someone on another forum linked this-

BINGO!

I am so playing that next episode... even if it isn't a Russel episode.

I don't know why I liked this episode and most episodes and you guys didn't. I don't think it's because I'm stupid, even though that is true... I think it might just be because I honestly do not take the show seriously in the slightest. I enjoy it, it's probably me favourite show currently on, but at no point is anything too silly because I tune in expecting a silly show. I love it that way.

Oh, and I made this...

All my old ones are here...

http://hamishsteele.blogspot.com/2008/04/t...n-darkness.html

+Quote Post
princess_shrek
post Apr 6 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #470

deeply dippy

Member No.: 6,279

^ me likee smile.gif

No, I don't think you're stupid to enjoy what is - after all - a piece of Saturday evening entertainment.

I'd agree with those who've said the sci-fi plot in this episode was lacking - but then I think it is in a lot of episodes that are still good episodes. And RTD is not the only person capable of writing duff episodes - they've been happening since the birth of Dr Who if you ask anyone who's been watching them since then!

This episode was meant to bring us up to date on the Doctor's travels since we last saw him, to tie up loose ends, re-introduce Donna and explain her re-appearance. All of which I think it did rather well.

Yes, the aliens were too cute - but that's the trouble with Tribbles (to mix cute aliens from Star Trek into the mix). Getting beamed up to the mother-ship had overtones of ET (another cute alien).

I can understand that none of this makes the Who afficionados happy - but I suspect that in terms of the viewing audience they're a small minority. I suspect there are more kids watching with their parents, and that they're loving whatever jolly japes the Doctor gets up to, without worrying too much about whether the plots stand up to serious scrutiny. And sadly that's why Rose returns, because they luff her.

+Quote Post
Hamish
post Apr 7 2008, 01:39 AM
Post #471

Mecha-Godzilla Attack!!

Member No.: 4,857

You speak the truth.

They say the Sci-Fi plot was lacking but I thought it was sort of supposed to be. Doctor Who has the most flexible format ever created for a drama so I don't see why some fans hate it when they try something new. A show has to develop, and sometimes it is surprising how little Doctor Who has in it's run. And now, there is a plot without real villains, without much peril and with aliens which are seemingly benevolent and everyone is up in arms because it doesn't conform to the regular Doctor Who format.

I thought it was a great and fluffy opening episode, everything it should be - even if the plot was a little Sarah Jane Adventures.

+Quote Post
Svein
post Apr 7 2008, 07:27 AM
Post #472

I'm sorry; I meant, "Drop dead, *comrade*."

Member No.: 3,252

Lack of peril... that's it exactly...

There should always be that moment of "How will the Doctor get out of this one?" element to an episode... there was none in this. It was the mash potato of sci-fi. BLAND!

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Apr 7 2008, 08:58 AM
Post #473

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

I consider myself to be a Who aficionado (at least I've loved the show for as long as I can remember), and I liked it.

Granted though, I'm not a hardcore fan in the traditional sense, because I don't complain all the time. Well, I do, but just not about 'Doctor Who'.

Like anything I think people see the past with Rose (no pun intended) tinted glasses. The Who of your childhood will always be better than what's on now, because it was so much more magical and you were so much less cynical and undemanding.

I rewatched Ghost Light recently, and it made no bloody sense what so ever, but I remember being terrified and amazed by it as a child. I know McCoy probably isn't the best example, as a lot of fans have little time for his era, but I adored him and Ace (Rose MK I). Though some of the stories seem strange and convoluted now, I kind of wish they'd try something a bit more complex and dark now.

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Apr 7 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #474

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 7 2008, 09:58 AM)
I know McCoy probably isn't the best example, as a lot of fans have little time for his era, but I adored him and Ace (Rose MK I). Though some of the stories seem strange and convoluted now, I kind of wish they'd try something a bit more complex and dark now.

Really?

I know that certainly used to be the case, but a lot of fans I know prefer his stuff, mainly because it's darker in tone.

Meh.

Anyway, yes, darker stories, please.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Apr 7 2008, 09:45 AM
Post #475

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

It's a bit of a hack cliche to say he was the worst doctor.

He was my first, so he'll always be special to me.

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Apr 7 2008, 09:49 AM
Post #476

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

I'm with Tom Baker on the subject, that no actor actually failed in the role. It's a three-ring circus situation, there's something for everyone. Even if a particular Doctor isn't to your taste, there's lots more to choose from.

I would say that there have been weaker Doctors, but no bad ones.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Apr 7 2008, 10:24 AM
Post #477

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

Well Saturday's Doctor Who left me more than satisfied. Sure the story itself was a little bit lame, but it was more about re-introducing Donna to the show.

The mime sequence was brilliant (particularly Donna's face when she first clocked the Doctor) and "charity Doctor" had me laughing out loud.

I knew Tate would be good, Tate was good, and Tate is going to continue to be good. It's good to have an assistant that isn't going gooey over the Doctor.

And that cameo! I let out an audible "fuck!"

+Quote Post
Shack
post Apr 7 2008, 10:44 AM
Post #478

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

I watched it last night and enjoyed it too.

Story wasn't great, but it was nicely comic and I laughed more at Tate than I ever did with her comedy boohockey.

"I'm waving at fat" made me laugh, and as the Sost says, the mime bit was great.

Good fun telly.

+Quote Post
KevinandNick
post Apr 7 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #479

The Magnificent Butchers

Member No.: 4,381

QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 AM)
And that cameo! I let out an audible "fuck!"

I worked out who it was about half way between the start of the shot and the reveal.

As camp as it might sound, I recognised the hair and the purple jacket... wink.gif

Kev W

+Quote Post
princess_shrek
post Apr 7 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #480

deeply dippy

Member No.: 6,279

QUOTE (KevinandNick @ Apr 7 2008, 01:38 PM)
I worked out who it was about half way between the start of the shot and the reveal.

As camp as it might sound, I recognised the hair and the purple jacket...  wink.gif

Kev W

Me too ;-)

+Quote Post

242 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 08:04 AM