Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doctor Who IV, The Tin Dog
Wife Of Rolex
post May 4 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #646

Addict

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,423

A good finish to a two parter. I think Helen Raynor has redeemed herself after Daleks In Manhatten last year, which was a bit poor in my opinion. Nice little nods here and there, especially the 'Are you my mummy?' line. Although I do think it's about time Donna stopped getting teary. That's 4 episodes in a row now. Isn't it about time she enjoyed her TARDIS travels with the Doctor?

QUOTE (Svein @ May 3 2008, 07:12 PM)
Anyone notice Rose on the TARDIS screen?

That was a bit too unsubtle for me. Particularly as everyone would've easily spotted it. I like something like that to only be visable to the keenly observant so they can enjoy a geeky moment.

I'm going to be a slightly pissy fan for a moment (just to be finicky) and say The Doctor's daughter should really call him 'father' and not 'dad'.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raven
post May 4 2008, 02:53 PM
Post #647

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

I enjoyed last night's episode, and the story as a whole, but I'm not entirely sure why.

I think that for the second year running Raynor has shown that she can write, but that she just can't write science fiction, or at least original science fiction.

If you look at both stories they have too many clichés (short alien kicks patronising soldier’s arse, the not really bad guy switches places with the hero when the ultimate sacrifice is called for etc) and they also contain some pretty poor science (burning the planet's atmosphere? Just how does that work without killing everyone?).

Despite these gripes though, it still managed to remain entertaining, and I think a large part of that was down to the Sontarans, and Christopher Ryan in particular, simply for being very believable characters.

I didn't have a problem with the blink-and-you'd-miss-it appearance by Rose, it's just set up for later in the series and it didn't really distract from what was happening.

There were some other good performances, and some good one-liners - the afore mentioned "Are you my mummy?" being the best self reference I think they've had in new Who, but the "belittle" line was pretty good as well.

So, overall, it was pretty enjoyable, but as I said at the top, I’m still not entirely sure why.

+Quote Post
Drifter
post May 4 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #648

Member No.: 5,387

It was a good episode, not so sure about Martha and her GI Jane switch but I too loved the little one liners in there. Bernard Cribbins is fantastic as the grandfather, glad he has been given more airtime.

Im just looking more to the Moffat stories, whilst I like the series so far, there really hasnt been a stand out episode for me yet but Im sure its coming and its looking as if the latter half of this season is going to be better than the first half again.

This post has been edited by Drifter: May 4 2008, 07:37 PM

+Quote Post
curtinparloe
post May 4 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #649

All out of mercy today.

Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (Svein @ May 3 2008, 07:12 PM)
I defintely enjoyed tonight's episode, including a real WTF moment at the end...

Next weeks is looking EXTREMELY interesting...

Anyone notice Rose on the TARDIS screen?

I missed it, but saw the name in the credits and said "Oh, for fuck's sake."

They'll have to do something really special for that narrative thread to not be shit.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post May 4 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #650

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

I have to say I rather enjoyed that. Yes some of it was horribly cliched but overall good fun. I especially liked the use of the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier Valiant, rather than just having the Doctor magic away the fog with his handy do-anything plot device Sonic Screwdriver.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post May 5 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #651

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

Nice that the Doctor had a Rose screensaver on his computer.

Also, if those 'geniuses' at Rattigan's were so smart, they wouldn't be wearing red romper suits like a bunch of kids doing PE.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post May 5 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #652

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

I thought it was awful.

If I see Helen Raynor in the street, I'm going to punch her.

I just watched an episode of MI High on the CBBC channel that revolved around 'nano nits' and 'personality downloading'. Embarrassingly it reminded me of certain types of Doctor Who episodes. I kept expecting David Tennant to bound into frame.

Evil sat nav? Jesus.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post May 5 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #653

OMNOMNOM

Member No.: 3,076

I thought it was a really fun episode - the relationship with Bernard Cribbens and Catherine Tate is one of the best in the whole series, I think. VERY excited to see what happens next week with gymnast-girl.

+Quote Post
Imlovinit
post May 5 2008, 02:20 PM
Post #654

Four Pinter

Member No.: 4,410

QUOTE (Drifter @ May 4 2008, 08:36 PM)
Im just looking more to the Moffat stories, whilst I like the series so far, there really hasnt been a stand out episode for me yet but Im sure its coming and its looking as if the latter half of this season is going to  be better than the first half again.

Same here, the episodes have all been ok for me so far but none have really stood out.
Next weeks looks good, was that Chris from Skins that the Doctors Daughter was kissing in the trailer?

+Quote Post
Svein
post May 6 2008, 08:45 AM
Post #655

I'm sorry; I meant, "Drop dead, *comrade*."

Member No.: 3,252

QUOTE (Zoe @ May 5 2008, 01:48 PM)
I thought it was awful.

If I see Helen Raynor in the street, I'm going to punch her.

Bit harsh, innit? Feel the love!

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post May 6 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #656

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (Zoe @ May 5 2008, 01:48 PM)
Evil sat nav? Jesus.

Yeah, much worse than shop dummies, armchairs, evil school teachers, yeti, evil mobile phone systems, evil bluetooth, and so on...wink.gif

Though admittedly the MacGuffin was a bit shit, this time.

+Quote Post
Raven
post May 6 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #657

Space Cowboy

As I said before, I'm not really sure why I liked this episode, the story is riddled with plot holes, clichés and implausible get outs (like telling the sat nav to drive into the river, how does that work? It wasn't doing the opposite of what the driver wanted, it was obeying a set command!), but at the same time this all seemed to wash over me for once.

I suspect it got away with it because it didn't rise to the "Human Dalek" levels of absurdity Raynor's last story did - although burning the atmosphere did come dangerously close to that!

+Quote Post
Svein
post May 6 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #658

I'm sorry; I meant, "Drop dead, *comrade*."

Member No.: 3,252

I just think it was entertaining telly!

+Quote Post
Zoe
post May 6 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #659

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

Sometimes people need a punch, I make no apologies.

It's not her fault, so much as the people who are comissioning writers who can't write SF to write for SF shows.

This lack of culpability doesn't mean she'd escape a punching though. My rage is violent and unfairly administered.

I will concede that evil sat nav isn't as naff as an evil wheelie bin, or trinny and susannah-bots; but that's not saying much.

+Quote Post
Raven
post May 6 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #660

Space Cowboy

I don't know about others, but both of the Raynor stories seem to have a "Davis Lite" feel to them, to me.

+Quote Post

242 Pages V  « < 42 43 44 45 46 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 07:49 PM