Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BEST/WORST MUSIC 2007, Cos the NME knows nuffin
Sostie
post Dec 12 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #1

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

So what are the Best (and worst) albums, singles and gigs of the year? What have you been listeniing to constantly? What new "old" band have you fallen in love with?

Tell us now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Dec 12 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #2

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

Best albums for me (in no order) were

M.I.A. - Kala
Kings of Leon - Because of the Times
Lambchop - Damaged
Monkey Swallows The Universe - The Casket Letters
Arcade Fire -Neon Bible (Not as good as Funeral but still a good album)

There's probably more but I can't remember what other albums I bought this year that were released this year; most of the albums I've bought this year have been old bands that I've been investigating, including The Rolling Stones, Tom Tom Club, Elvis Costello and Tom Waits. I think I listened to Tom Waits more than any other artist this year.

+Quote Post
Llama
post Dec 12 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #3

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

An obvious one from me... Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace. I think this album is easily the best they've done since There Is Nothing Left To Lose or maybe even The Colour And The Shape. And they backed it up with an absolutely cracking live show.

Second favourite of the year would be Rogue Wave - Asleep At Heaven's Gate. I could listen to this every day and not get bored of it. Great stuff. I never would have discovered them if it weren't for 'Heroes'.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Dec 12 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #4

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

Has anyone else heard the Lightning Dust album?

S'very good.

http://www.myspace.com/lightningdust

+Quote Post
maian
post Dec 12 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #5

Bully for you

Did The Decemberists' The Crane Wife come out this year? That was a good'un.

As were The Go! Team's Proof of Youth, Grinderman's Grinderman and Richard Hawley's Lady's Bridge.

Ooh, This Is Goodbye by Junior Boys was also superb. I'm not sure if it was out here this year but I saw them supporting Hot Chip and bought it this year so I discovered them this year, at least.

This post has been edited by maian: Dec 12 2007, 01:41 PM

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Dec 12 2007, 01:52 PM
Post #6

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Best albums (in no order)

MILES HUNT - Not An Exit

Wonder Stuff fans were pretty spoiled this year - a rarities album, a live solo album, and this, Miles' best solo effort to date.

GRINDERMAN - Grinderman
A best of wouldn't be a best of without Nick Cave

SPENCER DICKINSON - The Man Who Lives For Love
HEAVY TRASH - Going Way Out
JON SPENCER BLUES EXPLOSION - Jukebox Singles

2 Jon Spencer side-projects and a compilation of early singles. Top class rock'n'roll

PATRICK WOLF - Magic Position

BRIGHT EYES - Cassadaga

THE ENEMY - We'll Live And Die In These Towns

KINGS OF LEON - Because Of The Times

Was never really impressed by the previous two albums but this was a major surprise.

SISTER VANILLA - Little Pop Rock
The Jesus Mary Chain's little sister makes a pretty corking album with the help of her brothers

GUITAR WOLF - Dead Rock

ASOBI SEKSU - Citrus

Japanese band that sometimes venture into My Bloody Valentine territory

HOT FUZZ SOUNDTRACK
Despite a pointless Fratellis cover of a T-Rex track, one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a while

GALLON DRUNK - The Rotten Mile

KATE NASH - Made Of Bricks

MODEST MOUSE - We Were Dead....

SIOUXSIE - Manatray

HOURS - Narcissus Road.

What with a lot of the choices above, and good stuff from Springsteen, Neil Young and Dave Gahan, it was a pretty good year for the "oldies"

+Quote Post
maian
post Dec 12 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #7

Bully for you

QUOTE (Sostie @ Dec 12 2007, 01:52 PM)
Best albums  (in no order)

MODEST MOUSE - We Were Dead....

HOURS - Narcissus Road.

What with a lot of the choices above, and good stuff from Springsteen, Neil Young and Dave Gahan, it was a pretty good year for the "oldies"

These were also some of the best albums I heard this year. Now that I actually start to think about it, I'm starting to recall a lot of good stuff being released in the last year.

On the subject of soundtracks, I thought that Death Proof's was fantastic as well. I have no desire to ever sit through the film again but I still listen to the soundtrack on a regular basis.

Hang up your chick habit...

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Dec 12 2007, 02:03 PM
Post #8

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (maian @ Dec 12 2007, 01:58 PM)
Hang up your chick habit...

Which is now one of my favourite tracks EVER!

April March was one of my major "old" new discoveries this year. Along with other glorious girl fronted garage/pop/punk brilliance by The Bristols, Nikki & The Corvettes & Thee Headcoatees. And a re-falling in love with The Runaways.

Most listened to album this year had to be Lil Chris. Fucking brilliant album and I'll fight anyone who thinks otherwise.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Dec 12 2007, 02:23 PM
Post #9

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

I had a good year music-wise:

Echaskech - Skechbook; Underworld - Oblivion With Bells; Paul Hartnoll - The Ideal Condition; Longrange - Madness and Me; The Chemical Brothers - We Are the Night; Ulrich Schnauss - Goodbye; Tom Middleton - Lifetracks; Jose Gonzalez - In Our Nature; Dan Arborise - Around in Circles; Hybrid - I Choose Noise; and lots of cheese from iTunes!

The worst stuff I've heard is the glut of Clash rip-offs who followed Arctic Monkeys, and the dreadful gimmicky nu-rave stuff like Hadouken! etc.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Dec 12 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #10

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

I had a good year music-wise this year:

Echaskech - Skechbook; Underworld - Oblivion With Bells; The Chemical Brothers - We Are the Night; Ulrich Schnauss - Goodbye; Tom Middleton - Lifetracks; Jose Gonzalez - In Our Nature; Dan Arborise - Around in Circles; Hybrid - I Choose Noise; and lots of cheese from iTunes!

The worst stuff I've heard is the glut of Clash rip-offs who followed Arctic Monkeys, and the dreadful gimmicky nu-rave stuff like Hadouken! etc.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Dec 12 2007, 02:27 PM
Post #11

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Pleasent surprises.. The Pigeon Detectives, The Hedrons & The Holloways (was that this year)

Let Downs...PJ Harvey, Rufus Wainwright, Arcade Fire, Decemberists, Interpol, Bjork, Air, Mark Ronson, The Good The Bad And The Queen

What's the fuss all about albums...The View, Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys, The Cribs, Bloc Party and most of all The Klaxons (do reviewers have a record collection older than 10 years?)

The worst

THE GALLOWS
If they weren't so serious it would be hilarious

THE MACCABES
MAximo Park are so-so. A third rate Maximo Park is dull

But these are no way as bad as

ENTER SHIKARI
Without a doubt one of the worst albums I have ever heard. Fucking abysmal. And for some reason people thought it was original too. This sort of stuff appeared in the bargain bin on a regular basis in the late 80's /early 90's.
A big pile of shit with shit sprinkles, shit garnish. Witha side order of shit. And shit pudding.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Dec 12 2007, 02:33 PM
Post #12

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

I'll just repost what I said in the Metal thread:

1. Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli

A band who's always been good, but with this album they're at the best they've ever been. This album just gets better with every listen. Shagrath's vocals are far better than usual, I used to see him as a poorer Dani Filth but on this album he's shown he's much better than that. The new drummer, Hellhammer, certainly deserves his name and I definitely prefer him to Nick Barker.

2. Machine Head - The Blackening

Best album they've ever released. Even better than Burn My Eyes, and that took some beating. I can't believe I thought they were past it a couple of years back and ready to just ignore them. Absolutely outstanding.

3. Anaal Nathrakh - Hell Is Empty And All the Devils Are Here

By far the most extreme album in this list, another band that seem to be getting progressively better. Their previous album, Eschaton, was the first I got and liked one hell of a lot, but this album seems to go a step further and although extreme, they go much further than just creating a wall of unrelenting noise like other "extreme" bands do. VITRIOL's vocals are just inhuman, the range of stuff he can do is amazing. The quote on the front cover summed it up best: "A rabid whirlwind, a storm of schizophrenic malice, wide eyed terror and inhuman hatred and venom that is as encyclopaedic in its genre defying convulsions as it is downright vile".

4. Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos

Personally, I consider this a return to form for Dream Theater, since I found Octavarium to be a bit of a disappointment.

5. Soilwork - Sworn To A Great Divide

Admittedly nothing much new, but they've got a formula that works and they're sticking to it, and so far, quite rightly so. Excellent stuff.

This post has been edited by Nonus Aequilibrium: Dec 12 2007, 02:33 PM

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Dec 12 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #13

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

I've been listening to David Bowie this year. ...(I know. Surprised aren't you.) Mostly Aladdin Sane, Low & Station To Station. I've bought another couple of his albums recently. (Black Tie White Noise & Young Americans)
I've also probably listened to too much Beck.

Aside from that I've really gotten into old favourites The Cure, recently. ...as well as Iggy Pop, The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix & Pink Floyd.

I've not really bought any new new albums this year. (I usually discover music a couple of years after it's released!)

My favourite gig has to be James, who played a couple of mini gigs, & were certainly the best thing I'd seen in a few years.

My worst gig? ... probably The Fratellis. Though they weren't particularly bad, they were a little disappointing, as their album (which was so good that I probably played far too often at the start of the year) had a lot to live up to.

Finally, my love of dance music has been re-ignited, thanks to revisiting my Underworld and Chemical Brothers' albums... and discovering a fantastically funky dance act called Circulation. Check 'em out.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Dec 12 2007, 03:39 PM
Post #14

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Dec 12 2007, 03:11 PM)
Finally, my love of dance music has been re-ignited, thanks to revisiting my Underworld and Chemical Brothers' albums...

Actually I quite liked both those albums too. As well as Ulrich Schnauss and Sigur Ros.

Listened to the last Beck quite a bit this year too.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Dec 12 2007, 04:29 PM
Post #15

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

QUOTE (Sostie @ Dec 12 2007, 02:27 PM)
THE MACCABES
MAximo Park are so-so.  A third rate Maximo Park is dull

gonna have to disagree mightily with you there sos. i love the maccabees, think they're one of very few indie bands who have performed in the last year, and gained deserved notoriety. they also put on a great live show, saw them twice this year and they were great. but, different strokes etc. also, they sound nothing like maximo park.

what i liked:

the maccabees - colour it in. see above.
ryan adams - easy tiger. the guy continually makes superb albums, not his best but still a superb work. really deserves more recognition, second only to dylan in my mind.
feist - the reminder. surprising given that i dislike most female singer-songwriters. well-written songs, emotionally charged and very catchy. recommend.
arctic monkeys - favourite worst nightmare. better than their first, and arguably the best indie record of the year.
kings of leon - because of the times. a third cracking album in what is becoming a standout career. add that to a superb reading performance, and you probably have the band of the year.
arcade fire - neon bible. one of few bands making truly original music at the moment, and dong so with great energy.
i'm not there ost. i'm obviously biased being an enormous dylan fan, but i found this to be a superb collection of covers by an eclectic group of artists. particularly good are sufjan stevens, the hold steady, john doe and antony & the johnsons.
limbeck - limbeck. if you like feeling good about yourself, limbeck are the band you want. alt-country rock about sunsets in arizona and friends in california. chirpy and fucking ace.

what was alright:

klaxons - myths of the near future. highly touted, generally disappointing but redeemed for me by a few brilliant tracks, namely two receivers, it's not over yet and golden skans.
bright eyes - cassadaga. not a patch on i'm wide awake... for my money, but still a good album from mr. oberst, four winds is one of his best songs to date.
kanye west - graduation. a lacking third album after two great ones. some of his best songs - champion, the glory - but some proper shit aswell - stronger, flashing lights.
interpol - our love to admire. perhaps it's only because antics is so good that this felt average, but either way wasn't as brilliant as i'd expected.
the shins - wincing the night away - similar to the above really, chutes too narrow and oh! inverted world are superb albums and this felt weaker in many aspects.
the cribs - men's needs, women's needs, whatever. the cribs are so good live that on record they always sound a lot worse. there are a few great tracks on here - men's needs, our bovine public - but it all sounds really similar.
the pigeon detectives - wait for me. it all sounds very similar and it's not as good a sound as the cribs.

what was shit:

kate nash - made of bricks. an album which could so easily have been good is instead rubbish. some really catchy tunes, but some of the worst lyrics i've ever heard in my life. foundations is the only complete track, the rest are rushed and contain some, i stress, diabolical lyrics.
the view - hats off to the buskers. big pile of wank. superstar tradesman is average indie and that's the best track. same jeans is completely ripped off of brimful of asha and it doesn't help that the singer is eminently punchable.
the enemy - we'll live and die in these towns. not a good album in pretty much every way. anthem-full it may be, but that doesn't make it good.
the twang - love it when i feel like this. a shame, because either way shows how good they can be, but the album is too long and feels like a shit happy mondays in places. the happy mondays, incidentally, are also crap.

This post has been edited by Hobbes: Dec 12 2007, 04:30 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 11:03 AM