IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

445 Pages V  « < 347 348 349 350 351 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Crystal Bucket, What's on Your TV?
NiteFall
post Jan 9 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #5221

Invader.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,823

QUOTE (Llama @ Jan 8 2011, 07:20 PM) *
I enjoyed it, but I think it should have been which act they were most impressed with that won - I thought the first act was by far the best (and would have probably been received the best in a big Vegas show), and they even said they'd never seen anyone do it, but it didn't get through just because they'd read about it before. Best bits were obviously P&T's performances though.

Yeah, but the reason why they'd heard of it, but never seen it performed is because it was a variation on what is literally the oldest trick in the book. The world's oldest recorded magic trick involved the decapitation of and re-attachment of birds heads and it is technically an extremely easy trick to do the trick is performed by tucking the birds head under it's wing, which causes it to fall asleep, while you tuck the head under you substitute in a prop head the only real magic involved is some rather simple sleight of hand, made even simpler by the collars he put over the birds heads. I would say that yes, while his presentation was impeccable the actual skills on display weren't exceptional by any stretch. Although the switch-reveal at the end was a neat twist.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Jan 9 2011, 11:26 PM
Post #5222

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

I really recommend 'The Secret Life of Bob Monkhouse' on iPlayer.

It's an incredible look into a unique archive, which tells the story of one man's life, and the history of British TV & radio.

Bob's on-air reaction to be fired from The Golden Shot is... extraordinary. Has anyone seen Knowing me Knowing Yule, when Alan finds our he doesn't have a second series because of his blatant product placement...?

+Quote Post
Rua
post Jan 9 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #5223

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 9 2011, 11:26 PM) *
Bob's on-air reaction to be fired from The Golden Shot is... extraordinary. Has anyone seen Knowing me Knowing Yule, when Alan finds our he doesn't have a second series because of his blatant product placement...?

Really?

Now, I am going to watch.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Jan 9 2011, 11:33 PM
Post #5224

Group Icon

Bob was fired for product placement, though there doesn't seem to be any evidence of it. His behaviour on the final show, along with what he'd been sacked for, does suggest Coogan et al were inspired by true events. Who knows? It could just be a coincidence. Either way it's brilliant.

They even bring on the new presenter at the end. So cruel.

EDIT: I should add he's not sacked on air - but he makes sure everyone knows about it.

+Quote Post
Llama
post Jan 10 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #5225

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jan 9 2011, 08:37 PM) *
Although the switch-reveal at the end was a neat twist.

That was the bit I was impressed by though, not the decapitations. We've all seen that before.

+Quote Post
logger
post Jan 11 2011, 08:31 AM
Post #5226

Guests

I liked what I saw of Episodes.

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Jan 11 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #5227

Addict

Member No.: 3,386

Me too, but I was disappointed by Glee.

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Jan 11 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #5228

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

Rachel is even worse, this series.

New Snog, Marry Avoid is on. It's all northern.

+Quote Post
Shack
post Jan 11 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #5229

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

QUOTE (logger @ Jan 11 2011, 08:31 AM) *
I liked what I saw of Episodes.

It was a promising start wasn't it?

I liked the American casting team A LOT.

And saucy Greig. Naturally. She's phwoargeous.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Jan 12 2011, 10:22 AM
Post #5230

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

Watched it last night myself.

Could turn out to be a good little series. Greig and Mangan were good, and I quite liked the supporting cast (was amused by the faces Daisy Haggard was pulling throughout). Surprising lack of LeBlanc but I suppose he'll be in it a lot now.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Jan 12 2011, 10:23 AM
Post #5231

Group Icon

terrible reviews put me off - I shall reconsider as I trust you lot more than them

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Jan 12 2011, 01:04 PM
Post #5232

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Member No.: 4,536

I watch The Pacific boxed set over christmas and it left me curiously cold. It is always going to get compared to Band of Brothers, which is a pretty tall order to follow but nonetheless it was ditinctly underwhelming. It suffers from two probelms: firstly a fractured ensemble cast that means that a narrative flow is hard to maintain. Secondly a sense of what this story is meant to be about. In BoB each episode had a name, "Points" or "why we fight" or whatever that indicated that someone had thought about what each episode actually meant: some sort of thematic or narrative concept. The episodes of Pacific are just numbered, and it does feel to one degree or another that they lack a satisfying through line or idea behind them.

Fundamentally you have to ask the question what does this tell us about this thing that happened? I don't know if The Pacific has any real insight into this. There is no It's been a long war its been a hard war" speech, there's no bit where the guy yells at the Germans from the back of the truck....often its just an awful lot about what happened in the battles which degenerates into lots of bang bang bang.

+Quote Post
logger
post Jan 12 2011, 02:28 PM
Post #5233

Guests

I faded out about half way through the first episode.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Jan 12 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #5234

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jan 12 2011, 01:04 PM) *
Fundamentally you have to ask the question what does this tell us about this thing that happened? I don't know if The Pacific has any real insight into this. There is no It's been a long war its been a hard war" speech, there's no bit where the guy yells at the Germans from the back of the truck....often its just an awful lot about what happened in the battles which degenerates into lots of bang bang bang.

True. I've not seen much of Pacific but the lack of noticeable characters and relationships was a massive disappointment. I think of any series to NOT do this - yet compare themselves to BoB - is setting up for a fall. It's just so profoundly arrogant. "It's about soldiers and war in them days so it must be the same". Such sentiments do not dice with this fraulein.

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Jan 12 2011, 03:12 PM
Post #5235

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jan 12 2011, 03:00 PM) *
True. I've not seen much of Pacific but the lack of noticeable characters and relationships was a massive disappointment. I think of any series to NOT do this - yet compare themselves to BoB - is setting up for a fall. It's just so profoundly arrogant. "It's about soldiers and war in them days so it must be the same". [b]Such sentiments do not dice with this fraulein.[/b]

Love you...

+Quote Post

445 Pages V  « < 347 348 349 350 351 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 10:39 PM