Post #1921

Guests

QUOTE (Zoe @ May 19 2011, 09:50 AM) *
LOVE the trailer for the new Almodovar

The Skin I live in

AMAZING clips from 'We Need to talk about Kevin'

http://www.pajiba.com/trailers/we-need-to-...y-destroyed.php

Love love love the pneumatic drill moment

They look good although We Need to talk about Kevin looks like it'll be particularly grueling.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zoe
post May 19 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #1922

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

QUOTE (logger @ May 19 2011, 10:40 AM) *
They look good although We Need to talk about Kevin looks like it'll be particularly grueling.

It cannot be as gruelling as the book.

The lychee moment was particularly gut wrenching.

+Quote Post
maian
post May 19 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #1923

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

There was an interesting review from Cannes which said that the first half an hour of We Need To Talk About Kevin may be one of the best films of the year. They weren't so hot on the rest of it, though.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post May 19 2011, 01:02 PM
Post #1924

Group Icon

QUOTE (maian @ May 19 2011, 01:43 PM) *
There was an interesting review from Cannes which said that the first half an hour of We Need To Talk About Kevin may be one of the best films of the year. They weren't so hot on the rest of it, though.

I've read lots of reviews, and they all seem overwhelmingly postive.

Everything else I've read is just Lynne Ramsey slagging off the Lovely Bones and saying she would have done a much better job of adapting it. Having seen the Kevin clips, I have no doubt she's right.

+Quote Post
maian
post May 19 2011, 01:53 PM
Post #1925

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I only mention that review because it stood out amongst the more positive ones. It wasn't a negative review, anyway, more of a "the first act is so astonishing that the rest can't quite measure up" review.

She would have done such a better job of The Lovely Bones it's unreal.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post May 19 2011, 01:54 PM
Post #1926

Group Icon

If I was her, I'd punch Peter Jackson

+Quote Post
Crutch
post May 20 2011, 10:20 AM
Post #1927

No more smiling.

Member No.: 4,601

QUOTE (Ade @ May 17 2011, 09:22 PM) *
And if you tidy up your forum sig. wink.gif

Ha! Never. It would probably kill me, if I'd do it. Never change a winning team of random signs and words. I can buy that Fear X from Amazon for an okay price. But it just pisses me off that "they" simply don't release it in Germany. Even though I fear (x) that it's not Refn best work.

Somehow I really like that Colin Ferrel Fright Night. I loved the original when I was a kid and still ove it today and I think the remake could actually hit the right point of total dumpness to be quite entertaining as well. But it looks like Charlie Bartlett is starting to bald...

+Quote Post
Ade
post May 20 2011, 10:38 AM
Post #1928

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Crutch @ May 20 2011, 11:20 AM) *
Ha! Never. It would probably kill me, if I'd do it. Never change a winning team of random signs and words.

Heheh. Can't blame a guy for trying. My campaign of subtle (and not so subtle) digs shall rage on regardless. wink.gif

I can buy that Fear X from Amazon for an okay price. But it just pisses me off that "they" simply don't release it in Germany. Even though I fear (x) that it's not Refn best work.

Ah, that's okay then, fair enough. I have to agree with you too, I really enjoyed the film virtually all the way to the end - but it fizzled out just at the point I was expecting a worthy pay-off which, sadly, didn't materialise in my opinion. Maybe I should give it one more try before I part with it at the next the car boot sale.

Somehow I really like that Colin Ferrel Fright Night. I loved the original when I was a kid and still ove it today and I think the remake could actually hit the right point of total dumpness to be quite entertaining as well. But it looks like Charlie Bartlett is starting to bald...

I rather like the more menacing tone of the remake's trailer too. Methinks it might be good for a hoot. I recalled enjoying the original, and tried watching it again last year some time, but I simply couldn't get into it.

QUOTE (Zoe @ May 19 2011, 02:02 PM) *
Everything else I've read is just Lynne Ramsey slagging off the Lovely Bones and saying she would have done a much better job of adapting it. Having seen the Kevin clips, I have no doubt she's right.
QUOTE (maian @ May 19 2011, 02:53 PM) *
She would have done such a better job of The Lovely Bones it's unreal.

I haven't yet read The Lovely Bones, but I did enjoy Jackson's 'soft' adaptation, such as it was. That said, from the general concensus of reviews I've read, both here and elsewhere, I don't disagree with the view that it would have been far better were it a more 'difficult' watch. Not so sure on all of the casting choices, but I think Stanley Tucci's immensely creepy turn was the highlight, and would have been better served by a much darker toned adaptation.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post May 20 2011, 11:35 AM
Post #1929

Group Icon

The book becomes cloyingly sentimental towards the end. If anything Jackson was too referential to the text.

Ramsey's talked a lot about doing the opposite with WNTTAK. She's completely ditched the central narrative device (the story is told in letters from Eva so we only ever have her version of events). That's pretty brave. It will make the denouement much harder to pull off, and (I would imagine) make the apportioning of blame considerably more black and white.

Kevin can surely only be evil or not, if the story is told from an objective observers point? Personally, I think Eva's own sociopathic tendancies are far more interesting. I'm very excited to see the film. The book is gruelling.

EDIT: If you're going to read a book by Alice Sebold, I recommend the memoir about her actual rape 'Lucky' which is considerably better written than 'The Lovely Bones'. You feel she had to write the sentimentalised version of sexual assault, before writing about her own experiences, which are, one suspects, at the root of her inspiration for the fiction.

EDIT II: Very interesting article on literary adaptations by Lionel Shriver http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/may/17...need-talk-kevin

The film is an interpretation of the novel, of course, and Ramsay was obliged to edit out multiple scenes, lest the film run to 10 hours. But here's what's fab: the book still exists, inviolate. All the dialogue Ramsay eliminated is still in the book. All the scenes she couldn't dramatise are still in the book. All the literary reflections that have evaporated into a wordless interplay of colour and space are still in the book.

I've often marvelled at the ability of visual artists to let things go – to craft unique objects, to which they surely become attached, yet which they sell off and may never see again. By contrast, the medium in which I work allows simultaneously for generosity and piggy hoarding. I've given my book away to a director, producers, and cast; to dozens of translators whose skills this unilingual moron has to take on faith; and to countless readers, who have breathed their own life into the story and brought their own analyses to bear on the characters. Yet no matter how many copies my publishers sell, I get to keep mine, filed by chapter on my hard drive. In kind, fans of the novel shouldn't fear the film, which may contribute stunning visuals to the tale, but can't rob anyone of the original book

+Quote Post
logger
post May 20 2011, 01:10 PM
Post #1930

Guests

But here's what's fab: the book still exists, inviolate. All the dialogue Ramsay eliminated is still in the book. All the scenes she couldn't dramatise are still in the book. All the literary reflections that have evaporated into a wordless interplay of colour and space are still in the book.

This is the way I feel about all adaptations, remakes, remixes and cover versions. No matter what the quality of the work, the original source is still there unsullied, leaving the work it inspired to stand on its own merit.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post May 20 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #1931

Group Icon

It's a really brilliant piece.

She's a sensible woman.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post May 20 2011, 09:45 PM
Post #1932

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

Since it hasn't been posted here yet...

BANE!

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post May 21 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #1933

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

QUOTE (Everlong @ May 20 2011, 10:45 PM) *
Since it hasn't been posted here yet...

BANE!

I am excite. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post May 21 2011, 09:46 PM
Post #1934

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

It looks okay but I'm still dreading Ella Enchanted as Catwoman.

+Quote Post
Crutch
post May 22 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #1935

No more smiling.

Member No.: 4,601

Besides the Agyness Deyn-Pusher, there is already a London-set hindi-remake... interesting.

+Quote Post

165 Pages V  « < 127 128 129 130 131 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 03:14 AM