Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jul 13 2011, 05:49 PM
Post #2043

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

The Three Musketeers - my God it looks stupid. Stupid and fun.

New Tintin trailer. I'm a little underwhelmed

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jul 13 2011, 06:34 PM
Post #2044

OMNOMNOM

Member No.: 3,076

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 13 2011, 05:49 PM) *

Oh that looks ridiculously awesome! McFadyen sounds like he's having a ball chewing the scenery, and Orlando Bloom's hair is fabulous. Waltz looks like he's having a delicious time as Richelieu.

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 13 2011, 05:49 PM) *

Still excited to see how this turns out - given the writing team, I find it hard to believe it won't be a fun, pacey plot.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jul 13 2011, 07:19 PM
Post #2045

Coin Operated Boy

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,112

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 13 2011, 06:49 PM) *

I'm always happy with more Ray Stevenson. Titus Pullo was the best thing about Rome.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Jul 14 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #2046

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (widowspider @ Jul 13 2011, 07:34 PM) *
Waltz looks like he's having a delicious time as Richelieu.

Delichelieu.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jul 14 2011, 10:56 AM
Post #2047

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Trailer for Aaaaaardman's The Pirates!

Looks ace. The song's pretty damn funny, too.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Jul 14 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #2048

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (maian @ Jul 14 2011, 11:56 AM) *

Looks like jolly good fun indeed. Aarrr.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jul 14 2011, 02:16 PM
Post #2049

OMNOMNOM

Member No.: 3,076

QUOTE (Ade @ Jul 14 2011, 11:39 AM) *
Delichelieu.

Win!

QUOTE (maian @ Jul 14 2011, 11:56 AM) *

Eeey! That looks like loads of fun.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Jul 14 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #2050

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

Trailer for The (New) Thing - and you know what, it looks fine. Keeps the same atmosphere, and what brief snatches of monster-mode are in keeping with the look of Carpenter's creature.

Looks like if there will be a problem with it, it will largely suffer from those of Predators, in that by trying too hard to follow the original template, it becomes little more than a retread.

+Quote Post
Rebus
post Jul 14 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #2051

ЯR

Member No.: 5,395

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jul 15 2011, 07:53 AM) *

I'm sorry but my God does that look boring, aside from the fact that it just didn't need to be made and brings nothing to the table whatsoever, it just looks so run-of-the-mill.

EDIT: In other news, a movie they've been trying to make for 80 years, released its trailer today. This one I am excited about as I've always loved the story, John Carter of Mars. The cast is pretty impressive too, and so far, things are looking good. Also, I think this is Pixar's first foray into live action.

This post has been edited by Rebus: Jul 14 2011, 10:58 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post Jul 14 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #2052

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Trailer for Martin Scorsese's Hugo (nee Hugo Cabret, nee The Invention of Hugo Cabret)

Looks like he's got the look and feel of the (fantastic) book. Be interesting to see Scorsese's take on a family film.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Jul 14 2011, 11:18 PM
Post #2053

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jul 15 2011, 07:53 AM) *
Trailer for The (New) Thing - and you know what, it looks fine. Keeps the same atmosphere, and what brief snatches of monster-mode are in keeping with the look of Carpenter's creature.

Looks like if there will be a problem with it, it will largely suffer from those of Predators, in that by trying too hard to follow the original template, it becomes little more than a retread.

Hmmm... Looks like a good film... but then I think I've seen it already. It's not a prequel, it's a remake... It all looks too familiar; With the same setting, characters, dialogue, morricone score, and bloke with ginger beard. The only difference is this time Kurt Russell is a woman. I'd still love to see it, but I agree with the Predators comparison, I can imaging being annoyed by too many nods to the first film. Having said that, I wonder how the teethy chest de-fib scene will look - I'd be surprised if they didn't include something similar.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jul 15 2011, 09:07 AM
Post #2054

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jul 15 2011, 12:18 AM) *
Hmmm... Looks like a good film... but then I think I've seen it already. It's not a prequel, it's a remake... It all looks too familiar; With the same setting, characters, dialogue, morricone score, and bloke with ginger beard. The only difference is this time Kurt Russell is a woman. I'd still love to see it, but I agree with the Predators comparison, I can imaging being annoyed by too many nods to the first film. Having said that, I wonder how the teethy chest de-fib scene will look - I'd be surprised if they didn't include something similar.

I understand your points to an extent, but you are judging this on the trailer alone.

"With the same setting" - well geographically it is the same setting during the same time period. The interiors may look familiar but it would make sense that most extreme weather outposts would be built from the same sort of pre-fab, and it's based on what, albeit little, we saw of the Norwegian base in the earlier film.

"(same) characters" - I don't think you could gather much about the characters in a trailer to make that conclusion

"(same) dialogue" - based on a few choice words in a trailer - what dialogue is there is to give the audience an idea of what the film is about - there's only so many ways you can say "there's a shapeshifting alien here and one of us is it".

"(same) morricone score" - it's very common for a trailer to feature music that doesn't actually appear in the final film. Though, I do actually think they will go for similar Morricone minimalist score (even though the film is credited with a different composer)

The Predator/Predators comparison I understand, however they were not part of a continuing story - they haven't made it look similar because they could but because they had to. This is a prequel that will be limited by it's location and by what we already know about the Norwegian base - we have a good idea already what happens to those on the base, and to an extent who survives

I like to think this will be like a continuing piece much like the Alien films (that I've read that they are using a lot of physical effects instead of CGI will help this no end).

If the film is going to work the director is going to have to rack up the tension and provide shocks and surprises - not easy to convey on a trailer. If he succeeds it will be seen as a worthy addition to the Carpenter original, if it fails a poor re-hash.

I do however think that the producers haven't helped themselves with the film's title

+Quote Post
dandan
post Jul 15 2011, 09:13 AM
Post #2055

Addict

Member No.: 4,256

i agree with what sostocles says...

+Quote Post

165 Pages V  « < 135 136 137 138 139 > »