Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coming Soon!, Whats Hip and Happenin' in Movieland
NiteFall
post Oct 11 2011, 02:17 PM
Post #2191

Invader.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,823

First proper trailer for The Avengers. I think I just had a mild nerdgasm.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Silky
post Oct 11 2011, 04:48 PM
Post #2192

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Oct 11 2011, 03:17 PM) *

Looks good.
Downy is on top form.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Oct 11 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #2193

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Oct 11 2011, 03:17 PM) *

WANT. NOW!

This post has been edited by sweetbutinsane: Oct 11 2011, 07:44 PM

+Quote Post
Rebus
post Oct 11 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #2194

ЯR

Member No.: 5,395

Yeah that looks fantastic. I'm kind of glad that I have no idea what the plot is (aside from the case that NYC seems to be suffering a serious case of Carsplosions), I've tried to avoid knowing every little detail about this. That Downy line was heartily cheesy though, but ...I don't even think I mind.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Oct 11 2011, 07:58 PM
Post #2195

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

Downey Jr can pull off a mega-cheese line with considerable charm, though.

I am So. Excited. Mark Ruffalo as Hulk! *dies*

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Oct 11 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #2196

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

I say it needs more Hawkeye, but that's because I'm a massive comic book nerd.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 11 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #2197

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

The movie might have him in more, it's just that he's not going to sell tickets like Iron Man or Captain America will.

It was really cool seeing them all together on screen and talking. Does anyone know how much this movie cost? Think of all the actors fees they're paying, and the effects for Iron Man AND the Hulk, as well as standard action movie fare.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Oct 11 2011, 11:08 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post Oct 11 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #2198

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Studios tend to be very cagey about revealing how much their films cost because that can sometimes overshadow the film itself (see something like Waterworld, for example, where a lot of discussion of the film priior to release centered on how much it cost to make) and because they tend to mess around with the figures through creative accountancy. However, the reports online seem to place it somewhere between $170-$260 million. I'd imagine that it's closer to the higher figure than the lower one, although Marvel have done well to keep their budgets reasonably low for blockbusters (Thor and Captain America cost about $150 million each, whereas Transformers: Dark of The Moon cost about $200 million) so I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the low $200 million range either.

This post has been edited by maian: Oct 11 2011, 11:25 PM

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 11 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #2199

Movies seem to have a bit of a Catch-22 where studios can't afford to make a movie partially because famous actors are so expensive, but they won't make a movie with cheaper actors because they don't think they'll do as well. Personally I don't really care who is in a movie, so long as the acting itself is good. I don't see a movie specifically because of who is starring - in fact it has no bearing whatsoever, and I'll gladly see a movie starring someone I don't like if the film itself looks good.

I don't think actors should be paid anything like what they get per movie. If someone like Will Smith got just 10% of what he gets paid, he'd still be a very wealthy man. I'm not saying it should be cut that low, but I definitely think it's a bit preposterous with some of the very big stars. Kelsey Grammer was getting a million dollars per episode by the end of Frasier - now, I love that show, but I don't think anyone can argue that he did $1,000,000 worth of work for each episode on it. It's ridiculous.

You could shave a massive amount of a film's budget if actors didn't cost so much, and then have more to spend on effects and locations and so on.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Oct 12 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #2200

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Oct 11 2011, 11:06 PM) *
Does anyone know how much this movie cost?

It's estimated at about $220 million apparently. Big money.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 12 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #2201

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

The thing is, after all this buildup and excitement to go along with a built-in colossal devoted fanbase, it could be absolute shit and people would still flock to see it. I'm going to go to the cinema for it regardless of what reviews say on the matter.

This post has been edited by Hobbes: Oct 12 2011, 12:06 PM

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Oct 12 2011, 12:19 PM
Post #2202

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

It looks pretty good. And that is just Chris Evans. Fnar.

And I am not a comic nerd.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 12 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #2203

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Oct 12 2011, 01:06 PM) *
The thing is, after all this buildup and excitement to go along with a built-in colossal devoted fanbase, it could be absolute shit and people would still flock to see it. I'm going to go to the cinema for it regardless of what reviews say on the matter.

Agreed. And also, regardless of how good it is, is there anyone on the planet interested in this movie who isn't aware of it? Of course I understand that movies need lots of marketing, especially today, but sometimes it seems a bit unnecessary. This isn't so much about The Avengers, but the state of movies in general. Studios will refuse to greenlight a movie because it would cost too much, but the reason it'd cost so much is greatly down to the fact that they spend a third of the entire budget on the main actor, and then spend more on advertising than the movie itself cost to make. Then movie ticket prices are inflated (or they force out a '3D' version to con some more money out of people), and they take in what should be a very impressive amount of money, but it's not much profit because the film cost such a colossal amount in unneeded stuff, and the price of admission put many off who were on the fence. And then they complain that piracy is killing the industry.

Perhaps if movies were made where they didn't spend $80,000,000 on one person out of the huge team of people involved, or maybe if they just had a trailer and posters instead of building a colossal "viral" campaign to increase hype (it's the fucking AVENGERS, it doesn't need hyping up), then the industry wouldn't be in such dire straights as they claim they are.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Oct 12 2011, 01:21 PM
Post #2204

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Nah I agree it Is madness. It was interesting hearing Kevin Smith talk about it with Red State. He said the film cost $3 million and a film studio would have spent $10+ million promoting it; so the film would have had to made $13 million just to break even. People called him arrogant and whatnot for self promoting, but by touring with it the films investors made their $3 million back before it's even been released in cinemas/VOD/DVD etc.

At least, I found it interesting

This post has been edited by monkeyman: Oct 12 2011, 01:28 PM

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Oct 12 2011, 01:49 PM
Post #2205

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

It's something I care a lot about as a working/struggling actor trying to get into the film industry. Put it this way: When I do background work for a big show like The Good Wife or Curb Your Enthusiasm, I make $85 a day for what is usually a 12-14 hour day of filming. That's [b]before[/i] taxes are taken out. The leads are paid six-figure sums per episode.

The disparity between the actors on any show is huge. Wall Street has nothing on Hollywood when it comes to wage equality in an industry. smile.gif I would certainly like to be able to get paid a comfortable wage for my work, but the millions and millions always seems completely ludicrous. Why not agree to directly receive a percentage of your fee (like 20%) and ask them to donate the rest to a non-profit, or bump the wages of the background actors and catering crew, etc? It would feel more fair. We're all there at 5am in the freezing cold.

I could get on my soapbox aaallll day about this. smile.gif

+Quote Post

165 Pages V  « < 145 146 147 148 149 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 01:47 PM