Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coming Soon!, Whats Hip and Happenin' in Movieland
Serafina_Pekkala
post May 22 2012, 12:01 PM
Post #2311

Money ...

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,511

I think it looks really interesting and Joaquin is clearly as mad as a balloon.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
logger
post May 22 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #2312

Guests

I thought the music was a little too There Will Be Blood, but otherwise I can't wait.

+Quote Post
Rebus
post May 22 2012, 12:09 PM
Post #2313

ЯR

Member No.: 5,395

QUOTE (logger @ May 23 2012, 01:07 AM) *
I thought the music was a little too There Will Be Blood, but otherwise I can't wait.

Jonny Greenwood can do no wrong in my opinion, so I'm glad he's on board for this one too. On paper this looks fantastic, can't wait to see it.

+Quote Post
logger
post May 23 2012, 12:21 PM
Post #2314

Guests

The Great Gatsby

I've never seen a Baz Lurman film and this looks full of the stuff that usually makes me not want to watch them. Conflicted.

+Quote Post
dandan
post May 23 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #2315

Addict

Member No.: 4,256

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 19 2012, 05:39 PM) *
No.

yes.

+Quote Post
Rebus
post May 23 2012, 08:53 PM
Post #2316

ЯR

Member No.: 5,395

I'm really expecting Lurhmann to just explode in a mushroom cloud of glitter under the weight of his own wankery some day and never be seen nor heard from again. I will forever hold Strictly Ballroom dear to my heart, and Romeo and Juliet was brilliantly realised, but someone needs to pull him aside, give him a stiff drink and say "Stop. Start again from the beginning of your career." And what's the deal with contemporary music creeping into trailers for period films? I find it really distracting and jarring. The recent trailer for Gangster Squad was nearly ruined by the inclusion of some fucking terrible hip hop.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post May 24 2012, 09:37 AM
Post #2317

Money ...

I don't like Baz Luhrman - his films are basically the same as someone shouting in your face for 2 hours and waving a big flag. Not all films are musicals or should be done as musicals but Baz seems to not want to accept this. Carey looks lovely but once again, Gatsby is done wrong. Best attempt so far was the BBC one with Toby Stevens.

If you have seen his shit Chanel No5 commercial with Nicole Kidman from a while back - that is all you need to know. Wank.

This post has been edited by Serafina_Pekkala: May 24 2012, 09:38 AM

+Quote Post
Ade
post May 25 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #2318

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

Is Luhrmann's take on The Great Gatsby yet another musical, then? Soundtrack choice notwithstanding, I saw no evidence of this in the trailer.

I totally agree with Rebus' point about the use of contemporary music in period movie trailers, which would naturally throw one's initial opinion of the film off-kilter, but I'm not convinced it's a musical merely because of that. I'm prepared to at least give the film the benefit of the doubt. Granted, it does look like it may be overly glitzy, but it might not be that bad either.

But if it is does indeed turn out to be a musical, then yes, that would be a disastrous choice, and Luhrmann should rightly be criticised.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post May 25 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #2319

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ May 24 2012, 09:37 AM) *
I don't like Baz Luhrman - his films are basically the same as someone shouting in your face for 2 hours and waving a big flag. Not all films are musicals or should be done as musicals but Baz seems to not want to accept this. Carey looks lovely but once again, Gatsby is done wrong. Best attempt so far was the BBC one with Toby Stevens.

If you have seen his shit Chanel No5 commercial with Nicole Kidman from a while back - that is all you need to know. Wank.

Oh, was that Luhrman? God that advert was appalling. I was physically repelled by its shitness.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post May 25 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #2320

Money ...

Yeah, it still makes me cringe.

QUOTE (Ade @ May 25 2012, 03:38 PM) *
Is Luhrmann's take on The Great Gatsby yet another musical, then? Soundtrack choice notwithstanding, I saw no evidence of this in the trailer.

No it is isn't but he is filming it like it is a musical. He does with all his films. It will be too glitzy. The book is all about identity and the falseness of expectations. Lurid is the least appropriate person to film this book.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post May 25 2012, 08:38 PM
Post #2321

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

I hate to break it to you all, but the new GI Joe movie has been held back until March 2013 so it can be converted into 3D.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post May 25 2012, 09:40 PM
Post #2322

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Gutted. I was so looking forward to seeing Die Hard, The Rock and Darth Maul in a film together at last.

This post has been edited by NiteFall: May 25 2012, 09:52 PM

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post May 25 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #2323

I was planning on going to see it. I wasn't incredibly excited or anything, but it looked like a good dumb action movie. It looked more like GI Joe than the first one, at least.

+Quote Post
maian
post May 26 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #2324

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I was in much the same frame of mind. It wasn't at the top of my list of films to see this summer - though I LOVE Adrianne Palicki and would be more than happy to keep her career going by watching a terrible film featuring her - bit the trailers made it look like silly fun, and the addition of The Rock improves most things. The biggest problem with this is that Ut just continues to propagate the idea that 3D should stay around, rather than dying a much needed death.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post May 26 2012, 05:43 PM
Post #2325

Judging by the fact that Hasbro had already released most of the toys, and then pulled them off the shelves a couple of days ago, this was a very last-minute decision and probably down to someone at Paramount saying "I know how we can make more money - charging more for people to go see it!"

Ah well, I can wait I guess. It's not as though there is a shortage of silly action movies that I've not seen yet.

+Quote Post

165 Pages V  « < 153 154 155 156 157 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:17 PM