Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coming Soon!, Whats Hip and Happenin' in Movieland
Starscream`s Gho...
post May 21 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #46

Alley Viper

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,024

No problem with Eisner, I just can't see how this film is going to excite.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post May 21 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #47

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 21 2008, 01:38 PM)
What about the photo makes you think that? I'm reserving all judgement until the credits roll, but I was wondering if you had some profound yet amusing insight. And with some allusion to a past sexual encounter.

Well the thing about all the Watchmen is that they're meant to be looking all flawed and slightly worn out by this point in time. The point made about her dressing as a pin up is well made, but she shouldn't look so perfect whilst she does it. She should look slightly worn like Geri Halliwell. The whole thing looks like just another superhero film, if the fallible nature of these people isn't right at the centre of the film, if it isn't incorporated into the design at a deep level, then the whole film is going to fall on its arse.

It's could be a perfectly fine super hero movie, but if its not going to cleave to its source material better than this then they might as well push on and make the Justice League movie where there isn't such delicate source materials to deal with.

It's the same as V for Vendetta. The comic book is about how anarchy is about is better than fascism and lays the blame for injustice at the feet of the general population. The film is about a freedom fighter and portrays a population that have been tricked by an incredibly clever ruse by the facists into voting for them and who are really itching for freedom, justice etc. One of these ideas is clever, and hard to work with,the other facile and easy to swallow. Because of this the film will never be great and critics will continue to use the phrase "comic book movie" to describe something bubble gum and throwaway.

These are literally incredible works that they're dealing with, the best examples of a whole art form, so seminal they forced people to take the form seriously, but movies based on them keep on being made that conform to the conventions they broke.

This post has been edited by empathy-with-beast: May 21 2008, 12:56 PM

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post May 21 2008, 01:11 PM
Post #48

Alley Viper

To be fair, and I think it's been said already, the timeframe for those shots hasn't been specified; they could be from the start of the film, in their heyday, before they all start to look worn and tired.

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post May 21 2008, 01:15 PM
Post #49

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Could be, but then I think there'd be something in them that indicated it was the past. The worn out thing is so important, so central to what makes this a different sort of superhero film, that I'd be worried if that drum wasn't being banged in every bit of promotion.

I don't mean to be a Moore fanatic about all this but I do have to call it as I see it.

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post May 21 2008, 01:18 PM
Post #50

Alley Viper

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ May 21 2008, 02:15 PM)
I don't mean to be a Moore fanatic about all this but I do have to call it as I see it.

No, I think you're right to be - the whole notion of ennui and the fact that they don't have any powers to speak of (apart from Manhattan, and they're more of a curse than a blessing) is the main thrust of the story and what makes it different.

Otherwise, as you say, they may as well just make the JLA movie and be done.

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post May 21 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #51

We gotta make the planet safe for the kiddies

Member No.: 2,367

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ May 21 2008, 01:55 PM)
The point made about her dressing as  a pin up is well made, but she shouldn't look so perfect whilst she does it. She should look slightly worn like Geri Halliwell.

That made me LOL a lot. Thanks, emp.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 21 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #52

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 21 2008, 02:11 PM)
To be fair, and I think it's been said already, the timeframe for those shots hasn't been specified;

There IS way of telling. IMDb says the actress pictured there is the original Silk Spectre. Can't remember her name without looking. And given that she has no aging make-up at this stage, we can be fairly sure she is at the start of her crimefighting career.

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post May 21 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #53

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Damn! I was enjoying my selfrighteousness for a moment there...

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post May 21 2008, 02:20 PM
Post #54

The sick product of a crazy society

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,263

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 21 2008, 03:16 PM)
There IS way of telling. IMDb says the actress pictured there is the original Silk Spectre. Can't remember her name without looking.

Oh right, that Silk Spectre:

Sally Jupiter, star of Silk Swingers of Suburbia.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post May 21 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #55

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

Well what I want to know is why they;ve turned super athlete and gymnast Ozymandius:

Into a skinny necked child:

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post May 21 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #56

Alley Viper

There IS way of telling. IMDb says the actress pictured there is the original Silk Spectre.

Good to know. Although I'm personally always wary of IMDb.

Can't remember her name without looking. And given that she has no aging make-up at this stage, we can be fairly sure she is at the start of her crimefighting career.

Sally Jupiter, innit.

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post May 21 2008, 02:27 PM
Post #57

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Having said that she doesn't look particularly 1940's, and she doesn't look a bit shit, which is how I always read the original spectre.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 21 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #58

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ May 21 2008, 03:27 PM)
Having said that she doesn't look particularly 1940's, and she doesn't look a bit shit, which is how I always read the original spectre.

Well, women being superheroes is really unbelievable anyway. They'd just be thinking about make-up and kittens when they should be saving the child from the burning building.

+Quote Post
logger
post May 21 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #59

Guests

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 21 2008, 02:11 PM)
To be fair, and I think it's been said already, the timeframe for those shots hasn't been specified; they could be from the start of the film, in their heyday, before they all start to look worn and tired.

I hope all the pictures are from the characters' past and these have been released to appeal to people unfamiliar with the book. I do doubt whether the film will carry the same weight as the book and do for super hero films what it did for comic books.

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post May 21 2008, 03:34 PM
Post #60

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 21 2008, 02:16 PM)
There IS way of telling. IMDb says the actress pictured there is the original Silk Spectre. Can't remember her name without looking. And given that she has no aging make-up at this stage, we can be fairly sure she is at the start of her crimefighting career.

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ May 21 2008, 02:19 PM)
Damn! I was enjoying my selfrighteousness for a moment there...

Keep enjoying, Lewis - the actress pictured is Malin Akerman who plays Laurie, not Carla Gugino who plays Sally. Ad, the pic on IMDB is credited "Character: Silk Spectre, Silk Spectre II"

+Quote Post

165 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:10 PM