Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Survivors, 2008 Update for a TV Classic
Raven
post May 31 2008, 11:39 AM
Post #1

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Casting details for the new update of Terry Nation's Survivors have started to leak out, and it looks as though Freema Agyeman is set to star in the new series which also features fellow New Who actor Shaun Dingwall (Pete Tyler).

You can find out more about it here: Agyeman Cast In Survivors.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Jun 1 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #2

We gotta make the planet safe for the kiddies

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,367

Will anyone else but the middle class* survive this time?

*except for rogues and villains.

+Quote Post
logger
post Nov 24 2008, 12:56 AM
Post #3

Guests

Watched about half of Survivors, I stopped watching when the Scottish bird came back to life. I'm quite outraged that people are getting paid money for this rubbish, somebody should resign.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Nov 24 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #4

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

Survivors was okay, but suffered from being a BBC production. Seeing familiar British actors lessened their impact as new characters, and the lack of gore and obvious low action budget made the outbreak interesting in concept alone. And the concept still resonates, highlighting our reliance on technology and complete ignorance of practical skills, but the rest of the story felt familiar: disparate strangers meeting, looting petrol stations, abandoned cities, etc, have been seen in zombie and disaster movies for years. Even the 'twist' at the end felt more like a throwaway line in Doctor Who, than the earth-shattering revelation it should have been. I may give further episodes a try, but based on the opener I can't see it holding my interest for long.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Nov 24 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #5

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Survivors was okay. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories. I like the fact that if the world does have such a crisis there wouldn't be a single female survivor I wouldn't kick out of bed.

About time the BBC (or someone) repeated/remade Z For Zachariah

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Nov 24 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #6

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

I enjoyed it but I found myself on edge everytime a curtain was opened or someone came across a fresh corpse. Not having them reach out and try to bite someone confused me. Still, it was, as always, interesting to see a post apocolyptic programme set in Britain but there were some shockingly poor "action" pieces. The explosion at the petrol station was hilariously bad, complete with jumping away from it in true blue screen glory. I will be continuing watching though.

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Nov 24 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #7

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

Survivors was big fat 'meh'. Paterson Joseph is teh cool, though.

+Quote Post
Bloomeeney
post Nov 24 2008, 11:40 AM
Post #8

I'm an evil werewolf!

Member No.: 2,245

QUOTE (Sostie @ Nov 24 2008, 10:31 AM) *
About time the BBC (or someone) repeated/remade Z For Zachariah

Big fat agreement there! I remember reading the book when I was about 10 years old. Didn't the Beeb version have Jeremy Irons in it or did I dream that? (/edit: it was Anthony Andrews)

Survivors was OK, but I did think that there should be a hell of a lot more bodies lying around in the streets and outside hospitals etc. And you just know kinda-sexy scottish lady will find her son. Still I will probably end up watching it til the end.

This post has been edited by Bloomeeney: Nov 24 2008, 11:48 AM

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Nov 24 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #9

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (Bloomeeney @ Nov 24 2008, 11:40 AM) *
Big fat agreement there! I remember reading the book when I was about 10 years old. Didn't the Beeb version have Jeremy Irons in it or did I dream that?

They did. I always used to think it was Irons but it was Anthony Andrews. They showed it at our school because we read the book in English. Advice to teachers - if you are going to show a TV play in lessons make sure there isn't a scene where a bloke gets his cock out. It's amazing how the appearance of a cock can turn an engrossed audience into a crowd of guffawing kids.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Nov 24 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #10

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (Sostie @ Nov 24 2008, 10:31 AM) *
Survivors was okay. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories.

Same here, but sadly this has more of a Last Train vibe to it than Day of the Triffids.

I was only half watching it to start with, so I didn't really understand what was happening with the main woman in it - one minute she was dead, the next she wasn't - but I was quite surprised that Dingwell and Agyerman didn't make it to the end of the episode, given that they both feature prominently in the publicity photos etc.

I will watch on Tuesday, but it's hard to see how this is going to develop in an interesting way.

I like the fact that if the world does have such a crisis there wouldn't be a single female survivor I wouldn't kick out of bed.

It is almost as if Hugo Drax were in charge!

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Nov 24 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #11

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

I'll ditto what's been said about Survivors. My brother and I spent the whole episode going, "But where's PJ?". The empty streets were very effective if unlikely (sure everyone was told to stay home, but a little more signs of chaos would've been appreciated), but if I see one more montage of fast-moving people and germ/DNA graphics in a virus outbreak TV show or film, I'll tut REALLY LOUD! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Nov 24 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #12

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (Raven @ Nov 24 2008, 12:05 PM) *
I was only half watching it to start with, so I didn't really understand what was happening with the main woman in it - one minute she was dead, the next she wasn't - but I was quite surprised that Dingwell and Agyerman didn't make it to the end of the episode, given that they both feature prominently in the publicity photos etc.

Aaaah, but Freema and the Scottish woman, were the only ones to mention the lump under the arm. Maybe she's woken up?

And what happened about the dog in the car? Did he leave it to die?

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Nov 24 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #13

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

QUOTE (Sostie @ Nov 24 2008, 02:00 PM) *
Aaaah, but Freema and the Scottish woman, were the only ones to mention the lump under the arm. Maybe she's woken up?

And what happened about the dog in the car? Did he leave it to die?

I thought that about Freema but she was with a doctor at the time so you'd think she would have checked her out a bit more thoroughly than the Scottish woman's wife. Plus, doing that did give it all a bit more of an "anyone could go" feel. The trailers did ruin it a little bit though as you knew who was and wasn't going to make it through to the next episode.

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Nov 24 2008, 03:23 PM
Post #14

We gotta make the planet safe for the kiddies

Member No.: 2,367

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Nov 24 2008, 10:53 AM) *
The explosion at the petrol station was hilariously bad, complete with jumping away from it in true blue screen glory.

That was magnificent. I shouted 'SUPER JOHNSON!' as he soared through the air.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Nov 24 2008, 05:15 PM
Post #15

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Nov 24 2008, 02:22 PM) *
The trailers did ruin it a little bit though as you knew who was and wasn't going to make it through to the next episode.

I must admit, that although I have seen the trailers a few times I had completely failed to pick up on that.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 09:34 AM