IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Are you new?

Please feel free to say hello here in the New Members thread.

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spaced: The Movie, Jessica's up for it
Rua
post Jun 11 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #16

Death of The Party

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,801

I reckon, just leave it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Jun 11 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #17

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

Don't talk like that. (*whispers* What if Edgar's reading this?)

If they made more Spaced, (which they probably won't), and if it's not as good as the 1st series (which it won't be, cos most (but not all) of the second series isn't even that good#), then it will still be awesome anyway in the hands of Pegg, Hynes & Wright. It'd still be Spaced and couldn't possibly devalue the first 2 series in the way some sequels do because,...well ... it's Spaced, ...it's awesome.

#This bit is a matter of opinion. Everything else I've said is fact.

+Quote Post
Baz
post Jun 11 2008, 01:01 PM
Post #18

Crumpet?

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,244

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Jun 11 2008, 12:26 PM)
Kind of like what they did with This Life +10? I'd really prefer that they didn't bother.

I think I agree.

As much as I love Spaced, I think it's time has been and gone. Adding to it may just spoil the over all greatness of the show, if the movie/hour special turns out to be crap.

We should just cherish it for what it is and leave it at that.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Jun 11 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #19

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

QUOTE (Baz @ Jun 11 2008, 02:01 PM)
I think I agree.

As much as I love Spaced, I think it's time has been and gone. Adding to it may just spoil the over all greatness of the show, if the movie/hour special turns out to be crap.

We should just cherish it for what it is and leave it at that.

How could a Spaced movie/hour special be crap?
... How? ....
And once you've explained yourself there, how is that going to spoil the overall greatness of the show? ... Spaced is better than that.
If edgar wright submitted an hours footage of a turd on a shovel to channel 4 (with ad breaks) and called it Spaced, is that really going to affect your love of the show (the original show... not the turd on a shovel)?

I'd really love to see more.

I know every thing has it's cut of point. They always said it was 3 series. That was enough for Father Ted, Bottom, Black Books,...

This post has been edited by Jon 79: Jun 11 2008, 01:35 PM

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Jun 11 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #20

'ullo!

Member No.: 6,134

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 11 2008, 02:33 PM)
How could a Spaced movie/hour special be crap?
... How?  ....

The second series of Spaced was broadcast 7 years ago - the characters (and actors) are older. They would have moved on, so a special just wouldn't be Spaced as we know it. How about this : Tim's a successful Comic Book artist, Daisy's a 'proper' journalist, Mike owns a Security Firm operating in Iraq, Brian's a respected artist, Twist finally got a job in fashion, and Marsha (cirrhosis) and Tyres (overdose) are both dead. Sound good to you?

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 11 2008, 02:33 PM)
And once you've explained yourself there, how is that going to spoil the overall greatness of the show?  ... Spaced is better than that.
If edgar wright submitted an hours footage of a turd on a shovel to channel 4 (with ad breaks) and called it Spaced, is that really going to affect your love of the show (the original show... not the turd on a shovel)?

In that case, why was there such outrage about a US remake? By your argument, no matter how utterly shite it would have been, it wouldn't have tarnished the reputation of the original.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jun 11 2008, 02:43 PM
Post #21

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Jun 11 2008, 03:08 PM)
In that case, why was there such outrage about a US remake? By your argument, no matter how utterly shite it would have been, it wouldn't have tarnished the reputation of the original.

Regardless of the quality of the final product I think the main problem with the remake was the disrespect actually shown toward the creators, the initial declaration that they were somehow backing the idea when they weren't and the complete disregard of Jessica Hyne's involvement in the original.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jun 11 2008, 03:05 PM
Post #22

Space Cowboy

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Jun 11 2008, 03:08 PM)
The second series of Spaced was broadcast 7 years ago - the characters (and actors) are older. They would have moved on, so a special just wouldn't be Spaced as we know it. How about this : Tim's a successful Comic Book artist, Daisy's a 'proper' journalist, Mike owns a Security Firm operating in Iraq, Brian's a respected artist, Twist finally got a job in fashion, and Marsha (cirrhosis) and Tyres (overdose) are both dead. Sound good to you?

They might have children as well, that never works!

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Jun 11 2008, 03:07 PM
Post #23

'ullo!

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 11 2008, 03:43 PM)
Regardless of the quality of the final product I think the main problem with the remake was the disrespect actually shown toward the creators, the initial declaration that they were somehow backing the idea when they weren't and the complete disregard of Jessica Hyne's involvement in the original.

Good point, and I know that's a large part of it, but I suspect the main reason for many people's outrage was that there was a fairly good chance it would be pants.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jun 11 2008, 03:18 PM
Post #24

OMNOMNOM

Member No.: 3,076

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Jun 11 2008, 03:07 PM)
Good point, and I know that's a large part of it, but I suspect the main reason for many people's outrage was that there was a fairly good chance it would be pants.

Aye - it was mainly the shitty way that Jess, Simon et al were treated, but also a certain protectiveness of a show I love a lot being turned into something less than its name deserved that caused my annoyed-ness. I realise that's somewhat silly, but was how I felt nonetheless. smile.gif

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Jun 11 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #25

'ullo!

QUOTE (widowspider @ Jun 11 2008, 04:18 PM)
Aye - it was mainly the shitty way that Jess, Simon et al were treated, but also a certain protectiveness of a show I love a lot being turned into something less than its name deserved that caused my annoyed-ness. I realise that's somewhat silly, but was how I felt nonetheless. smile.gif

It's not at all silly, and was really my point - NewSpaced, if it disappointed (and, even done by Simon, Jess et all, there would be ridiculously high expectations that would be almost impossible to satisfy), would tarnish the memory, and the show, just that little bit.

+Quote Post
Rua
post Jun 11 2008, 03:31 PM
Post #26

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 11 2008, 01:47 PM)
Don't talk like that.  (*whispers* What if Edgar's reading this?)

That's true.

Edgar?

Just leave it.

+Quote Post
mousespider
post Jun 11 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #27

Dr. Mrs. Claus

Member No.: 5,408

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Jun 11 2008, 11:28 AM)
It's not at all silly, and was really my point - NewSpaced, if it disappointed (and, even done by Simon, Jess et all, there would be ridiculously high expectations that would be almost impossible to satisfy), would tarnish the memory, and the show, just that little bit.

I really don't think that's possible. If Simon and co. really wanted to do it they wouldn't allow it to tarnish the memory in the slightest. Spaced is extremely important to them, and they know how important it is to the fans, so they would be dedicated to making something that would add to the show, not take away.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jun 11 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #28

Space Cowboy

Member No.: 2,262

I would say rebelstar is right.

New Spaced now - if it did turn out to be below par - probably would affect how I view the original two series, whether I wanted it too or not.

This isn't a prequels rant, but it's like watching the original Star Wars trilogy again after watching the prequels. Regardless of how you feel about the quality of the prequels, you now have more information in your head about the characters involved so, when you see scenes such as Vader and Luke talking on Endor, you can't help thinking about Anakin when he was younger and the choices he made.

If a mediocre version of Spaced was made now, showing Tim and Daisy in the future, the brilliant way that series two plays out - that always leaves a smile on my face - would be affected by the knowledge of what happened next - there's no way I would view the original episodes in quite the same way again.

I'm sure Simon, Jessica and Edgar wont go ahead with a continuation of Spaced unless they are sure that they will do the characters justice, but nobody hits the mark every time, and there is simply no way they can guarantee another slice of fried gold.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jun 11 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #29

OMNOMNOM

Member No.: 3,076

Absolutely - as much as I miss those characters and wish there was more of them, I'd be as hesitant as they seem to be about delving into their lives 10 years down the road. You don't want to fuck with something that is held in such high regard by so many people, and something you would (rightly) feel incredibly proud of.

That said, if they did make a special or something, I'd be retardedly excited, and hope/assume that they would not disappoint. They very rarely have. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Jun 11 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #30

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

How about an American remake?

+Quote Post