IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Are you new?

Please feel free to say hello here in the New Members thread.

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spaced: The Movie, Jessica's up for it
shaka37
post Jun 11 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #31

Champion of a dying industry

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 6,345

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Jun 11 2008, 08:28 AM)
It's not at all silly, and was really my point - NewSpaced, if it disappointed (and, even done by Simon, Jess et all, there would be ridiculously high expectations that would be almost impossible to satisfy), would tarnish the memory, and the show, just that little bit.

Talk about history repeating itself. Tim's diatribe about Star Wars says it all for me. Amost every director who's tried to recapture a past glory has failed to meet the expectation.

I kinda like that Edgar moves forward with the actors in new and totally different ventures. We all see little bits of 'Spaced' in his movies even if they aren't 'Spaced' themselves. There's a little Tim in Shaun and Nicholas Angel. You can rarely and successfully homage yourself and Edgar has done it.

As far as I'm concerned, Edgar can rest on a giant cushy chair made of his own laurels for all time as long as he can continue to churn out awesome movies with this terrific group of actors he's assembled.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
logger
post Jun 11 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #32

Guests

They could do Spaced: The Next Generation like they did with Saved By The Bell. Brian could be Screech.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jun 11 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #33

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Or Spaced: The Revenge where a recently widowed Daisy is hunted half way round the world by a great white while Michael Caine suns himself on a yacht and counts his money.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Jun 11 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #34

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Jun 11 2008, 03:08 PM)
the characters (and actors) are older. They would have moved on, so a special just wouldn't be Spaced as we know it. How about this : Tim's a successful Comic Book artist, Daisy's a 'proper' journalist, Mike owns a Security Firm operating in Iraq, Brian's a respected artist, Twist finally got a job in fashion, and Marsha (cirrhosis) and Tyres (overdose) are both dead. Sound good to you?

Sounds good to me. Just cram it with some cool pop culture, throw in a load of whip-pans & crash-zooms, and I'll be as happy as Larry. biggrin.gif ...however happy he is.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jun 11 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #35

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I agree with rebelstar, Raven and all the other ''just leave it'' people. As much as I love the original series and it's characters, I'd prefer it if it were left alone; the two series that already exist are a pretty perfect little parcel and any continuation would have to be utterly amazing to possibly top them. If they can deliver something utterly amazing, then that'd be fantastic, but I still think that Series 2 ended in the perfect way and that any attempt to follow it, however good, would mar that in my mind.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jun 11 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #36

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

For all our speculation and opinion it was just really a throwaway question by the interviewer at the very end of the piece. There was no indication that Jess had even considered the idea until she was put on the spot.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Jun 11 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #37

Dreaming my life...

QUOTE (maian @ Jun 11 2008, 08:56 PM)
I agree with rebelstar, Raven and all the other ''just leave it'' people. As much as I love the original series and it's characters, I'd prefer it if it were left alone; the two series that already exist are a pretty perfect little parcel and any continuation would have to be utterly amazing to possibly top them. If they can deliver something utterly amazing, then that'd be fantastic, but I still think that Series 2 ended in the perfect way and that any attempt to follow it, however good, would mar that in my mind.

What about their plan to pan out the story of Tim & Daisy getting together?
What about the fact that Simon & Jess have already written the first scene of what was going to be series 3?
What if they all said it was actually going ahead (they've all said it'd be nice to go back to Spaced eventually), that they'd spent a couple of months writing already & they were more than happy with the way it was going?... Would you then still not want them to make it?
.... For shame on all of yous. Get outta my forum!!!

...^ sorry, I went over the top a bit there.

I used to be a massive Red Dwarf fan. I was always excited by the news that a new series was being made. The production crew (and budget) varied from series to series, and the actors got older... but the quality was still there. ...Until 1997 when Rob Grant(one of the writers) left. Most people agree series 7 & 8 were pants.
What I'm saying is, a series can still be as good as it's origins so long as it has the same creative team behind it.
If Simon and Jess (& Edgar) did write more Spaced, you wouldn't want to know?
Series 2 did end perfectly, (as all non-cliffhanger series should) but it was always on the cards that they'd make a 3rd. ... they just got ... distracted ...by some zombies.

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 11 2008, 09:07 PM)
For all our speculation and opinion it was just really a throwaway question by the interviewer at the very end of the piece.  There was no indication that  Jess had even considered the idea until she was put on the spot.

True. But it's nice that its sparked the debate again.

This post has been edited by Jon 79: Jun 11 2008, 08:24 PM

+Quote Post
angle
post Jun 11 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #38

?!!><

Member No.: 6,622

Just leave it??? oh you defeatists, a few weeks ago i may have agreed but sifting through various interviews of the spaced team has shown that they all would still be up for it, it's just time and other commitments that have stopped it happening, as for them being too old or time has moved on too much NADGERS to that,Big Sweaty Hairy NADGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spaced was always about real life with an overlay of surreal movie silliness, the whole point in going back to it IF.... they ever did would be to show what life and the world has done to the characters.
Its not like they are wrinkly old pensioners or anything, and obviously revisiting them would have to invlove more movie pastiche (if thats the right word, mm that made me think of pasties mmmmh pasties).

theres so much scope for Spaced to work as a movie, it doesnt just need to be them sitting in the flat eating jaffa cakes and wasting away, the story and sub plot possibilities are huge and endless and this would be the time to start planning it.

the hype over Spaced has never gone away, like a soapy hair ball in the shower drain it's grown and grown, remember it's only just been released officially in the US with the blessing of some of the coolest directors and comedians over there and all this McSpaced McGuffins has just focused even more attention on it.
We all know the guys wouldnt do it if they thought it was out of steam or past it's sell by date, so why are they still selling the origonal so hard??
Why did they screen the originals only last year on big screen?? did it work on the big screen?? well? eh? hmmmh? course!! so there!

No actually thinking about it your probably right it'll never work ho hum!!

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jun 11 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #39

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 11 2008, 09:22 PM)
If Simon and Jess (& Edgar) did write more Spaced, you wouldn't want to know?

I don't think anyone has said that, people are simply stating their reservations about going back to the well once to often.

More does not necessarily equate to being a good thing (for examples see: Star Wars, Babylon 5, Star Trek and just about every long running film franchise still going . . .).

What about their plan to pan out the story of Tim & Daisy getting together?

Sometimes less is more, not every "i" has to be dotted, or "t" crossed.

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Jun 11 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #40

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Member No.: 4,536

I think the big screen to small screen thing is very true.

+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post Jun 11 2008, 10:49 PM
Post #41

No Pinter

Group: Junior Members
Member No.: 6,630

QUOTE (Raven @ Jun 12 2008, 10:08 AM)
Sometimes less is more, not every "i" has to be dotted, or "t" crossed.

That's true. I had a teacher once who didn't dot her i's. I used to dot them for her sometimes. She was one of the best damn teachers I ever had.

Spaced Movie? If they do it, awesome. If they don't, I ain't bothered. I'm sure they could pull it off if they decided to go ahead with it, and I'm sure I'd love it.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Jun 11 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #42

Dreaming my life...

QUOTE (LoneWolf @ Jun 11 2008, 11:49 PM)
I'm sure they could pull it off if they decided to go ahead with it,

Exactly. That's exactly what I mean. I can understand people not wanting them to spoil it... but I don't believe that would ever happen.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Jun 11 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #43

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

Fingers crossed for a prequel.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Jun 12 2008, 12:33 AM
Post #44

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 11 2008, 11:54 PM)
Fingers crossed for a prequel.

Now you're talking!

See, I'm not the kind of guy who thinks stuff gets tainted by sequels, remakes, spin-offs or what have you. Everything is its own entity. So if more Spaced came round the corner I would definitely see it and I have absolute faith that it would both honour and build upon the existing episodes. I don't see it as necessary or something I actively hanker for. But if it means an end to "Is there gonna be any more Spaced?" questions, then so be it.

+Quote Post
Heff
post Jun 12 2008, 05:43 AM
Post #45

Bloody Hell

Member No.: 6,009

QUOTE (shaka37 @ Jun 12 2008, 05:21 AM)
Talk about history repeating itself. Tim's diatribe about Star Wars says it all for me. Amost every director who's tried to recapture a past glory has failed to meet the expectation.

I kinda like that Edgar moves forward with the actors in new and totally different ventures. We all see little bits of 'Spaced' in his movies even if they aren't 'Spaced' themselves. There's a little Tim in Shaun and Nicholas Angel. You can rarely and successfully homage yourself and Edgar has done it.

As far as I'm concerned, Edgar can rest on a giant cushy chair made of his own laurels for all time as long as he can continue to churn out awesome movies with this terrific group of actors he's assembled.
If Edgar is moving forward in totally different ventures, how can there be a bit of Spaced in all his movies? And how exactly is Nicholas Angel a bit like a lazy graphic artist?

I think of it as a career. E Ball's been directing for a while now, and he's got his favourite techniques. He used them in Dead Right, Asylum, Spaced, Shaun, Hot Fuzz, and he'll continue to use them - in original ways. The writing of Spaced, Shaun and Hot Fuzz drew from a lot of sources (some say copied, we says payed homage too) and the directing was different and fresh each time. If they did revist Spaced, would EW try to direct it the same way as he did the tv show? Would the Peggster and Hottie Hynes try to write it in the same way? If they all copied the formula of the tv show, it could come across as stale. If they didn't recreate the formula, would fans be disappointed?

The guys can write. The man can direct. I want them to create instead of re-hashing. Maybe they can do that with Spaced. Maybe not.

Spaced: The Early Years. Watch two total strangers do normal things and not meet! Starring Haley Joel Osment as Timothy Bisley, and Dakota Fanning as Daisy Steiner

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 06:26 PM