> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
zeden
post Apr 12 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #8446

When doves cry

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,533

Easy! Duke Nukem Forever! tongue.gif

Joking aside, looking over this cheat sheet I'm hard pressed to choose between Dark Souls, Portal 2, Arkham City and Skyrim. Forced to pick it'd be Arkham I'd go with. Every aspect of it was perfectly polished and the plot is probably one of my favourite Batman tales of all time. And damn is the voice acting fantastic.
Honourable mention for an indie game called Dungeons of Dredmor for making me laugh at item descriptions for the first time in ages and sucking 48 hours of play out of me with incredibly simple combat mechanics.

There are a few that hit the meh spot for me including LA Noire, Back to the Future The Game, Deus Ex Human Revolution and The Old Republic.

Anyone played something they didn't like? I was sorely disappointed by Dragon Age 2 for being such a mess of poor design and weak characters after the original was so compelling. Capcom also landed on my shitlist after years of being a fan thanks to Marvel Vs Capcom 3's unneeded sequel and DLC silliness too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Apr 13 2012, 09:14 AM
Post #8447

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

I was (eventually) disappointed with Skyrim and really liked Deus Ex (though it did have flaws); and Arkham City.
I still want to play Duke Nukem too, specially since it got patched.

This post has been edited by monkeyman: Apr 13 2012, 09:20 AM

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Apr 13 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #8448

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Apr 13 2012, 09:14 AM) *

Don't bother, it's fucking rubbish.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Apr 13 2012, 03:05 PM
Post #8449

Serenity.

But I love some rubbish games, especially if they're only a fiver XD

This post has been edited by monkeyman: Apr 13 2012, 03:32 PM

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Apr 13 2012, 03:46 PM
Post #8450

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

I played it for free and still felt cheated.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Apr 13 2012, 05:06 PM
Post #8451

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

I first heard this ages ago when 4chan had it playing in the background. It's not my kind of hip hop, but I love mashups like this one that just work.

If you weren't familiar with the music of Castlevania, you'd probably think this was just how the song was. Not video games, but related: Biggie Smalls VS Thomas the Tank Engine

In terms of video games, I downloaded Final Fight on Xbox Arcade. Ah, they don't make games like this anymore. It's just a manic version of Streets of Rage, really.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Apr 13 2012, 05:07 PM

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Apr 13 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #8452

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

I finally paid off the last loan on Animal Crossing. Now I can make my ridiculously expensive house look pretty.

I am so annoyed that I can't get Nookingtons. I tried visiting a friend's town and she was going to come to mine but my DSi took a hissy fit about my internet connection and wouldn't let me. Then, a few weeks later, her DSi was stolen so we can't visit each other in the other way when she's back down in Sunderland. Boo, hiss.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Apr 13 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #8453

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Apr 13 2012, 09:39 PM) *
I am so annoyed that I can't get Nookingtons. I tried visiting a friend's town and she was going to come to mine but my DSi took a hissy fit about my internet connection and wouldn't let me. Then, a few weeks later, her DSi was stolen so we can't visit each other in the other way when she's back down in Sunderland. Boo, hiss.

Can't you get Nookington's by just creating another person on your game? You can have up to four people in your town; just make a second and never use them again. That's what I did, in order to get the Showroom items.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Apr 13 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #8454

When doves cry

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Apr 13 2012, 10:14 AM) *
I was (eventually) disappointed with Skyrim and really liked Deus Ex (though it did have flaws); and Arkham City.

What disappointed about Skyrim in the end? Much as it got a bit slow after I'd broken the game with black smithing and enchanting I really enjoyed the plot for the mages guild and the whole Dovakin malarkey. It wasn't perfect but it lived up to what I had expected for sure.

QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Apr 13 2012, 04:46 PM) *
I played it for free and still felt cheated.

I watched it being played, the entire first and second level, and felt like comedy was dying in front of me with every poorly voiced scene and unpleasantly clichéd one liner. It was like everyone who bought the game was getting the middle finger from the developer as they taunted "you wanted out dated repeats of old jokes from an outdated game, you got it moron". I'll laugh at a fart, my humour is so juvenile, but Duke was just misogynistic tat.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Apr 14 2012, 07:49 AM
Post #8455

Serenity.

I loved the music and the more varied dungeons/caves etc (especially compared to Oblivion) but the combat was just way to familiar, the melee in particular, it felt poor in Morrowind and still feels poor now. The general setup for most quests made me sigh too. And the fucking loading screens -,-
The magic was better done though, and Ive read they have magicka kill cams in now which is cool

Don't get me wrong, I still liked it, I just thought it felt more like a huge expansion pack rather than a sequel.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Apr 14 2012, 08:20 AM
Post #8456

When doves cry

Agreed on the combat, that's what's kept me from going back now, much as I enjoyed the 100+ hours I clocked up. It was playing Dark Souls that did it for me, being forced to think about my actions instead of knowing that hammering attack then hiding behind a wall would win every time really made me reconsider how much of the gameplay of Skyrim I enjoyed as opposed to the setting and plot. The answer was not all that much in the end. All of my memories of having fun using the combat mechanics revolved around shouting people off cliffs and setting things on fire, not fighting.

What it really needs is a more complex swordplay system alongside balancing to stop magic users having an innate advantage. The addition of many more attack animations alongside parrying and side stepping would ramp up the challenge to a level where the combat would be fun. Being able to choose high low and medium swings and which side you're swinging from would make for far greater variety. Imagine being able to parry and riposte or sweep an opponents legs out from under him or catching someone mid-swing with a mace to the head. It'd be far more visual and open room for more nuanced combat.
I'm inclined to think that given the high cost of making such expansive games and the need to appeal to the lowest common denominator that goes with it (i.e. making it easy enough for a 10 year old to play and finish) will eliminate any chance of that kind of increase in complexity happening though.

This post has been edited by zeden: Apr 14 2012, 08:28 AM

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Apr 14 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #8457

Serenity.

Might and Magic had a pretty decent 1st Person Melee combat system. I agree that it just needs more buttons and inputs for combat and the ability to block/party and counter in real time and actually have it based on skill would be great.
As it is you just flail your sword until they're dead for the most part.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Apr 14 2012, 02:57 PM
Post #8458

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

You should check out the combat videos for the new game that comes out this year on PC. War of the Roses.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Apr 14 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #8459

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Apr 13 2012, 09:47 PM) *
Can't you get Nookington's by just creating another person on your game? You can have up to four people in your town; just make a second and never use them again. That's what I did, in order to get the Showroom items.

I've only ever read that a friend from another town needs to visit and buy an item from Nookway. I've just created a new person to try anyway.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Apr 14 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #8460

When doves cry

QUOTE (Silky @ Apr 14 2012, 03:57 PM) *
You should check out the combat videos for the new game that comes out this year on PC. War of the Roses.

I don't seem to be able to find any videos that have any combat in them, could you point me in the right direction?

On a side note, I'm going to predict that The Old Republic will be free to play in the next 9-12 months. They're offering up a lot of free time to lapsed subscribers now that the 1.2 update is out and that seems to indicate that they're not retaining them very well. That alongside fairly regular unexpected maintenance and a lack of compelling story will have it going the way of DC Universe Online in no time.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 562 563 564 565 566 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 04:45 AM