> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
NiteFall
post Oct 12 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #1111

Invader.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,823

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Oct 10 2008, 08:16 PM) *
Dead Rising? Seriously, it's worth it if you just buy the console and trade it in immediately after.

See, not having a giant boner for all things zombie like you do and having heard nothing but mediocre things about it, I think I can pass.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
frostitute
post Oct 13 2008, 09:25 AM
Post #1112

faith left me staring at the ceiling

Member No.: 2,846

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Oct 12 2008, 07:17 PM) *
See, not having a giant boner for all things zombie like you do and having heard nothing but mediocre things about it, I think I can pass.

Who told you that? Your reflection?

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/deadrising

Mediocre across the board...

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Oct 13 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #1113

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Well, I was referring to the dozen or so people who I know that have the game and have played it actually. Metacritic also gives Halo 3 94% and I fucking hate that with the kind of pure blind fiery hatred normally reserved for holy wars and terror cells. If it's all the same to you I'll trust the opinions of people I know who have told me that it would probably frustrate the shit out of me over opinions culled from anonymous internet sources.

+Quote Post
logger
post Oct 13 2008, 01:17 PM
Post #1114

Guests

Dead Rising is alright but that's about it.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Oct 13 2008, 01:58 PM
Post #1115

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Agreed. It loses it's appeal when you realise every weapon breaks, you can't hold ammo and a gun, but you can hold 4 of the same gun. The zombies respawn in the same place everytime (the lift to get back to the safe room for example which is boring). the annoying time constraints when you just want to have fun and the shit shit shit shit shit AI of people you are trying to rescue, especially their pathfinding skills especially if you are rescuing more than one at a time.

+Quote Post
UnderSpaced
post Oct 13 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #1116

I'll just wait here then...

Member No.: 4,538

I think you guys made up my mind of which game to get next: Dead Rising or Orange Box. I think I'll go with Orange Box. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Oct 13 2008, 03:19 PM
Post #1117

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

The Orange Box wins over most things, not just Dead Rising.

Half Life 2 is one of the most perfectly structured games ever made and Portal is sublime.

Fun, fun, fun.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Oct 13 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #1118

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

Portal is quite fun, i like hurtling at mental speeds through portals directly opposite eachother, i think you can get an acheivement if you spent long enough time falling through portals on top of eachother.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 13 2008, 03:27 PM
Post #1119

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

You get one for falling a certain distance, and one for jumping a certain height (which is done with one on a wall and one on the floor, and always falling back into the floor portal).

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Oct 13 2008, 03:41 PM
Post #1120

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Oct 13 2008, 02:58 PM) *
Agreed. It loses it's appeal when you realise every weapon breaks

That was annoying up until I found the engineering, entertainment and <something else that increases the durability of sharp things> books all applied to the mini chainsaws the clown psycho drops. Which means that they last 3^3 = 27 times longer than usual, or several thousand zombie kills. Once you've done that you can pretty much forget about breaking weapons.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Oct 13 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #1121

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Oct 13 2008, 04:19 PM) *
The Orange Box wins over most things, not just Dead Rising.

Half Life 2 is one of the most perfectly structured games ever made and Portal is sublime.

Fun, fun, fun.

Meh, I was distinctly unimpressed with Half Life 2. Large parts of the environment are dull, vehicle handling is abysmal, even compared to other First Person Shooters, and driving and firing is a nightmare. Enemies are largely clones of each other. Gunplay is dull. The gravity gun is a neat trick, as are the physics puzzles, but they quickly lost their novelty.

Portal on the other hand is an excellent game. Wittily written, graphically minimalist but with a strong theme throughout, and a truly original First Person Puzzler, with plenty of replay value in working out the most efficient ways to complete the levels. If they'd released it cheap and stand alone, I'd recommend that over The Orange Box.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 13 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #1122

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (Jubei @ Oct 13 2008, 04:45 PM) *
If they'd released it cheap and stand alone, I'd recommend that over The Orange Box.

They have done, for PC anyway.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention that Half-Life 2 is my favourite FPS.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Oct 13 2008, 04:12 PM

+Quote Post
zeden
post Oct 13 2008, 04:05 PM
Post #1123

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

And Portal:Still Alive is due out for the 360 arcade at some point too.

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Oct 13 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #1124

Life's a grave, dig it.

Member No.: 2,711

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Oct 13 2008, 02:58 PM) *
Agreed. It loses it's appeal when you realise every weapon breaks, you can't hold ammo and a gun, but you can hold 4 of the same gun. The zombies respawn in the same place everytime (the lift to get back to the safe room for example which is boring). the annoying time constraints when you just want to have fun and the shit shit shit shit shit AI of people you are trying to rescue, especially their pathfinding skills especially if you are rescuing more than one at a time.

If you just want to have fun then you can just fuck off the time constraints. If you're going for it propperly then the harsh time constraints and having to be adequately tooled up for the job can add to the frantic tension created. There's nothing quite like running out of weapons with a decent group of people (5) in tow and watching them all get massacred... wait...no.

It's true that most rescues boil down to legging it and hammering "Y" but as i say, frantic, blind panic inducing tension. The game nails the feel of overwhelming panic that a mass zombie outbreak would create perfectly. Bravo Capcom. Bravo.

Dead Rising is like a fine vintage, it gets better with age, are all of you nay-sayers the people that gave it a first play through and thought "Meh, it's shit." then just left it alone. or have you gone through several times and made Frank a level 50 beast? Because that's where the game gets good. You don't need weapons, you just run around ripping zombies insides out and bouncing at them off'f walls, it's the shit.

Underspaced? I would actually recomend Dead Rising over The Orange Box. Half Life 2's good and all and Portal is almost god but Dead Rising provides more fun overall. IMO!!!!

This post has been edited by fatseff1234: Oct 13 2008, 06:19 PM

+Quote Post
UnderSpaced
post Oct 13 2008, 07:07 PM
Post #1125

I'll just wait here then...

Member No.: 4,538

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Oct 13 2008, 02:16 PM) *
Underspaced? I would actually recomend Dead Rising over The Orange Box. Half Life 2's good and all and Portal is almost god but Dead Rising provides more fun overall. IMO!!!!

That's where I was divided, as I love games with zombies in it.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 73 74 75 76 77 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 07:16 AM