> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
monkeyman
post Oct 17 2008, 08:31 AM
Post #1171

Serenity.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,170

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Oct 16 2008, 10:25 PM) *
The PlayStation Store is being redesigned. One can only hope it's to accommodate the required levels of awesomeness of having Metal Gear Solid on PSP.

You can no waccess it from your PSP,joy. And they really need to up the amount of PS1 classics on the Euopean store,t he Yank store has all sorts of win and ours has fuck all. If they really wanted to make a shit ton of money they would get MGS1 and FF7 on the store,

EDIT:and Xenogears,

EDIT2:and Chrono Trigger

EDIT3: Oh man and Tenchu.

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Oct 17 2008, 01:33 AM) *
*Sigh* I give up.

I think I'd like to retract my opinion until I have played through a second time. it won't happen for a long time if ever as there is too much awesome coming out, but I can see how it would improve with seubsequent plays. Even if I hate the timing constraints.

This post has been edited by monkeyman: Oct 17 2008, 08:31 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Oct 17 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #1172

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

This is the problem, when you make a game you want people to be grabbed by it straight away, people are far more likely to tolerate tedious or annoying bits in the middle or near the end than right at the beginning. Dead Rising becomes more fun once you've got your character level up, but until then it's a bit frustrating, and it's the kind of hurdle most people don't want to have to get over before getting stuck into a game. Personally I thought it was worth it, I thought Dead Rising was one of the most enjoyable games on the 360, but it's one of those games where if you go into it looking for a reason to not like it, you'll probably find one. The timing system seemed a bit of a pain in the arse to me when I started playing it, but then I realised that it was part of the game, not a limitation of it, and it adds a bit of strategy should you choose to go for the 50 survivor achievement.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Oct 17 2008, 10:57 AM
Post #1173

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

I had a go on the Tom Clancy End War demo last night and its pretty interesting. It's a RTS game but you're in amongst the action but whats really interesting about it is the way you command your units. It uses voice commands which, amazingly, actually work, and make the whole thing much easier to cope with. Instead of having to quickly select units and move them to different parts of the map with the analog sticks which is the major limitation of console RTS's, you use voice commands instead and it makes the whole thing a lot smoother to play.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Oct 17 2008, 11:16 AM
Post #1174

Serenity.

I realise I could look about and find out, but i'm interested in finding out from a "real" person. How do you assign squads and then command them?

like, can you create a squadron of say 5 tanks, 4 humvees and some other units, Call them Squadron two and then....how do you command them to move to a certain location and attack a specific target?

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Oct 17 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #1175

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Oct 17 2008, 12:16 PM) *
I realise I could look about and find out, but i'm interested in finding out from a "real" person. How do you assign squads and then command them?

like, can you create a squadron of say 5 tanks, 4 humvees and some other units, Call them Squadron two and then....how do you command them to move to a certain location and attack a specific target?

You have squads along the bottom so, a squad of tanks, a squad of riflemen etc. and they are assigned a number. You then say something like:

UNIT: 1: MOVE TO: FOXTROT
or
UNIT: 2: ATTACK: HOSTILE: 3

Because all of the allied units are grouped already and the hostiles are also assigned numbers as well then it eliminates the need to assign your own groupings. Not sure whether it will work very well in a full game but the demo is pretty interesting.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Oct 17 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #1176

Serenity.

That sounds pretty damn cool. i think it'd be interesting to see what online skirmishes are like as well.

+Quote Post
logger
post Oct 17 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #1177

Guests

My problem with DR is the piss poor control system, the intrusive cut scenes, for a game in a mall full of zombies it seems to go out of it's way to stop me playing and actually have some fun, and the cheapness of not having voice actors and instead communicating with the world's smallest subtitles. Other than that it's alright.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Oct 17 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #1178

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (logger @ Oct 17 2008, 01:46 PM) *
My problem with DR is the piss poor control system,

The default for guns is to aim where the character's looking when you go into aim mode as opposed to where your camera was looking. You can switch that to the more sensible mode in the options, but why the other one is the default I have no idea.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Oct 17 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #1179

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

Capcom do love their wacky control systems.

I didn't think to look to change it in the options. D'oh.

This post has been edited by Sir_Robin_the_brave: Oct 17 2008, 01:00 PM

+Quote Post
logger
post Oct 17 2008, 01:00 PM
Post #1180

Guests

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Oct 17 2008, 01:57 PM) *
The default for guns is to aim where the character's looking when you go into aim mode as opposed to where your camera was looking. You can switch that to the more sensible mode in the options, but why the other one is the default I have no idea.

That's the least of its problems.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Oct 17 2008, 01:25 PM
Post #1181

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Oct 17 2008, 11:57 AM) *
I had a go on the Tom Clancy End War.

I'm quite looking forward to Tom Clancy's Hawx as well. It's on my possibles list for November releases. I hadn't really considered End War, but if there's a demo I might have to give it a go.

This post has been edited by Jubei: Oct 17 2008, 01:25 PM

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Oct 17 2008, 01:32 PM
Post #1182

QUOTE (Jubei @ Oct 17 2008, 02:25 PM) *
I'm quite looking forward to Tom Clancy's Hawx as well. It's on my possibles list for November releases. I hadn't really considered End War, but if there's a demo I might have to give it a go.

Its a big file so it'll take a while to download. I haven't heard anything about Hawx? Whats that one about? There are so many games coming out over the coming weeks that there's no possible way I can play them all. Fable 2, Fallout 3, Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty World at War, Farcry 2 (which looks amazing by the way). There aren't enough hours in the day.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Oct 17 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #1183

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

Hawx is a jet combat game. Set a bit in the future I think. Like yousaid, there's a lot coming out over the next couple of months.

+Quote Post
weputthemdown583
post Oct 17 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #1184

Well, I like them. I think they're good.

Member No.: 6,557

I downloaded a demo of a game called World of Goo.

Its a beautiful puzzle game which is graphically reminiscent of loco roco.

The gameplay is sorta like Lemmings. You must build bridges, towers and other structures to overcome gravity and various terrain difficulties such as chasms, hills, spikes or cliffs.

Its such a beautiful looking and sounding game, I recommend you check out the demo smile.gif

Here's the trailer

And the demo is available here

+Quote Post
weputthemdown583
post Oct 17 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #1185

Well, I like them. I think they're good.

Member No.: 6,557

Aaaaaaaaaaaand i've just gone ahead and bought the full game!

12 well spent i think smile.gif

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 77 78 79 80 81 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 06:18 AM