Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
NiteFall
post Dec 5 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #1696

Invader.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,823

When you complete enough of the main story quest for the Brotherhood to trust you enough to train you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Dec 5 2008, 04:21 PM
Post #1697

Avid Gamer

Member No.: 2,732

yep, I maxed small guns to 100 as soon as i could. Use the perk that lets you put more points in the 'your special' book think and get agility up to 10 (more vats points) and (one of the parts i love about this game) scavenge EVERYTHING! Dont leave a box unopened! If youve got the weight, take it and after youve finished ecploring wwarp to megaton and sell it, always buy the ammo vendors have to sell, and my litte conffesion........... i put the difficulty to the easiest setting blush.gif I just love these tye of games, and I didnt want to get 'stuck' or feel underpowered so i started at the botom with the intention to crank it up a notch as and when i felt like it but TBH it feels right at the lowest!

My best tactic, and it works exeptionaly well on super mutants, is the hunting rifle, combat shotgun combo. take shots with the rifle from afar then hhide behind summit while your vats recharges and pull out the shotty and as soon as they arse close blast their f'ing heads off!

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Dec 5 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #1698

Avid Gamer

ooer i seem ot have lost the ability to edit my last message, and was typed quickly while at work hoping the boss didnt notice...
as they arse close
smile.gif oops!

And a tip (kinda spoiler, well not realy) if/when you get the sidemission from from that ghoul guy in underworld (or undercity...can never remeber what its called!) to get the keys from people, id highly reccomend using the keys for yourself! Bags you a very handy reward! Personaly i turned the keys into him to collect the reward he offered, then killed him after he walked out of the town and stole them back biggrin.gif Ive got good karma too! can you believe it! Just because i have an abundance of stimpacks so never mind giving my purified water away! And generaly try to be nice! Its just if i see a good reward i may gt a bit..... selfish biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Dec 5 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #1699

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

10 lessons we can all learn from XBox Live.

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Dec 5 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #1700

Avid Gamer

ah man thats too good! Loved it! One of my personal fave pics that best describes a vast majority of Xbox lives members:

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Dec 5 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #1701

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

New Batman: Arkham Asylum Teaser Trailer: http://kotaku.com/5102862/new-batman-arkha...-teaser-trailer
Looking awesome.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Dec 6 2008, 08:16 AM
Post #1702

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

Looks interesting, though I'd probably be a little more wowed with gameplay footage. Also, being able to recognize the foes aside from Joker would help. Is one of them Bain?

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Dec 5 2008, 01:50 PM) *
I don't find the urge to go exploring like I did on Oblivion, my character seems totally underpowered (I can use up almost all my ammo on some enemies without missing a single shot and they still take ages to die), there hardly seems to be any money around to be had. I decided to start a new character with all my main skills on weapons and medicine, because it seems if you actually want to experiment with other skills like science or speech, every time you walk into the wilderness the enemies just wipe the floor with you.

Isn't it kind of the point that you're supposed to be seriously struggling to get by at the start of the game, never having left the vault or learned anything about the outside world? Personally I loved the fact that it forced me to scrounge and run away a lot for the first 7ish levels, for a change I didn't feel like I could just plough my way into every situation safe in the knowledge that my aim and power next to an enemies was at least equal. I remember trying to take on five raiders the second I left the vault and very quickly realised that the game isn't really meant for those encounters until your near top level.

I'm pissed off with Gears 2 now. Just before the bit where the guys find Maria there's a bit with a bunch of wretches and troops riding those things that can jump cover and batter you up close. I can't seem to split myself in two enough to survive because Dom stands in stupid places out of cover and I have to keep reviving him, which in turn gets me killed.
Might wait till I've moved and then I'll play it co-op to finish it.

Speaking of which, before the month is out I should be in a new place with a proper internet connection so I'll likely invest in a six moth gold subscription. I'll finally be able to play with some of you guys at last!

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Dec 6 2008, 02:18 PM
Post #1703

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (zeden @ Dec 6 2008, 08:16 AM) *
Isn't it kind of the point that you're supposed to be seriously struggling to get by at the start of the game, never having left the vault or learned anything about the outside world? Personally I loved the fact that it forced me to scrounge and run away a lot for the first 7ish levels, for a change I didn't feel like I could just plough my way into every situation safe in the knowledge that my aim and power next to an enemies was at least equal. I remember trying to take on five raiders the second I left the vault and very quickly realised that the game isn't really meant for those encounters until your near top level.

In a way, but it's still a game after all, not a simulation, and I don't want the game to feel like a chore from the start until I've finally got my character to a stage where he's not a complete weakling. With my first character, seeing as though it's an RPG, I thought I'd be different from the usual "run and gun" tactics and invested in stuff like science, to try and hack my way into places etc, but the game isn't even set up for that being an alternative to fighting. Look at my options at the beginning of the game. I've got a quest that involves going to a supermarket to look for supplies. When I get there the place is just swarming with raiders. What are my options? Fight them... or... No, that's it. There's nowhere to sneak past, there's nothing you can hack to get by or do your dirty work for you (there's a security bot in the far room but you can't get anywhere near that without taking care of nearly every raider in the place anyway), you can't talk to them to use your speech skills. It's just fight them or don't bother. My alternative is follow the main quest, which involves going to places swarming with super mutants. It's annoying being punished for wanting to play in a different way.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Dec 6 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #1704

Serenity.

I didn't struggle at the start of the game, I don't know what I was doing differently, just taking my time and using my shots and sneaking well I guess.

Looks interesting, though I'd probably be a little more wowed with gameplay footage. Also, being able to recognize the foes aside from Joker would help. Is one of them Bain?

True true, was more just impressed with how nice and shiny it looks laugh.gif
I believe that is Bain and Killer Croc at the end there.

New Ghostbusters Trailerhttp://www.gametrailers.com/player/43328.html Looks cool, shame about the lack of Murray though.

This post has been edited by monkeyman: Dec 6 2008, 04:26 PM

+Quote Post
logger
post Dec 6 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #1705

Guests

The sniper fight with The End is one of my favourite things ever.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Dec 6 2008, 04:49 PM
Post #1706

Serenity.

It was brilliant indeed, I also liked the alternatives to finishing the End off as well.

I just read an Interview and watched a trailer for an upcoming DS game called Scribblenauts, it looks bloody brilliant. Basically there are stars you need to collect in levels and to progress you need to spawn items to get to them, to spawn the items/things you think of what you want and then write it in the notepad and it'll spawn. The developers said they have gone through dictionaries and Encyclopedias and that as long as it isn't vulgar or offensive it's pretty much gauranteed to be in the game. It really does look brilliant: Interview: http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/936/936157p1.html
Trailer (well worth a watch): http://uk.ds.ign.com/dor/objects/14304256/...d=478aj2lkn685k

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Dec 6 2008, 05:56 PM
Post #1707

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Dec 6 2008, 04:49 PM) *
I just read an Interview and watched a trailer for an upcoming DS game called Scribblenauts, it looks bloody brilliant. Basically there are stars you need to collect in levels and to progress you need to spawn items to get to them, to spawn the items/things you think of what you want and then write it in the notepad and it'll spawn. The developers said they have gone through dictionaries and Encyclopedias and that as long as it isn't vulgar or offensive it's pretty much gauranteed to be in the game. It really does look brilliant: Interview: http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/936/936157p1.html
Trailer (well worth a watch): http://uk.ds.ign.com/dor/objects/14304256/...d=478aj2lkn685k

That looks fantastic smile.gif

+Quote Post
weputthemdown583
post Dec 6 2008, 07:05 PM
Post #1708

Well, I like them. I think they're good.

Member No.: 6,557

QUOTE (logger @ Dec 6 2008, 04:28 PM) *
The sniper fight with The End is one of my favourite things ever.

Also my favourite MGS boss fight by far.

Ever tried turning your PS2's internal clock forward 2 weeks during this battle?

The End dies of old age, once you load the game up smile.gif

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Dec 7 2008, 12:48 AM
Post #1709

Avid Gamer

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Dec 6 2008, 02:18 PM) *
In a way, but it's still a game after all, not a simulation, and I don't want the game to feel like a chore from the start until I've finally got my character to a stage where he's not a complete weakling. With my first character, seeing as though it's an RPG, I thought I'd be different from the usual "run and gun" tactics and invested in stuff like science, to try and hack my way into places etc, but the game isn't even set up for that being an alternative to fighting. Look at my options at the beginning of the game. I've got a quest that involves going to a supermarket to look for supplies. When I get there the place is just swarming with raiders. What are my options? Fight them... or... No, that's it. There's nowhere to sneak past, there's nothing you can hack to get by or do your dirty work for you (there's a security bot in the far room but you can't get anywhere near that without taking care of nearly every raider in the place anyway), you can't talk to them to use your speech skills. It's just fight them or don't bother. My alternative is follow the main quest, which involves going to places swarming with super mutants. It's annoying being punished for wanting to play in a different way.

It is true that fighting is a big emphasis on this. However if it wasnt, it realy would only be obvilvion with guns. This isnt the same game, its just a different take on ALOT of the FPS's out there, combining some heavy RPG elements into it! And its how you want to play it. If you want to go exploring supermarkets (and we are experiencing nuclear fallout, chances are more people other than yourself are gonna be interested in it) then your gonna nead to be ready to meet some resistance. If you wanna go hacking computers and cracking locks then maybe stick to towns or run from areas your exploring that look hostile. Even in oblivion you didnt have the option of only leveling things like lockpicking and speech etc, as the mechanics of that meant even as you were doing that you would be leveling tis like your running, jumping, sneaking etc etc

Just finished a marathon sesh on vegas 2. I can safely say ive gotten back into that game! Shame about the grenade warnings still, but i tend to notice the cganges they made to the guns less!

This post has been edited by SuperSaiyanStoner: Dec 7 2008, 12:53 AM

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Dec 7 2008, 04:49 AM
Post #1710

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

True, but I was thinking of things more like Deus Ex, where you could upgrade your hacking skills so that you could avoid fighting by hacking a security terminal and watching as a turret gunned down all your enemies for you. In Fallout, it seems investing in anything but guns and medicine (at least to start with) is just asking for trouble. I just feel it'd be nice to have options that make the game feel a bit more like Thief, or Hitman, where it's encouraged and considered far more skillful to not kill everything in sight.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 112 113 114 115 116 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 12:38 AM