> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
GundamGuy_UK
post Jan 27 2009, 04:03 PM
Post #2161

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jan 27 2009, 03:47 PM) *
I really just want goddamn zombies and puzzles again.

I always thought of Resi more as a progression from old-style adventure games. It was the puzzles primarily that drove it, and they were very much like an old Sierra or LucasArts adventure game. It's just an action game now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zeden
post Jan 27 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #2162

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jan 27 2009, 12:30 PM) *
I can just tell it's going to be Gears of War with zombies villagers and the player characters having less meat all over them.

Played it last night and I can say that you're almost spot on. Remove the cover system from Gears and you've pretty much got Resi 5.
That said, I really enjoyed it.

Didn't win my Guitar Hero comp, came second. At first it seemed like the whole thing was a gip, as I alone out of 15+ people played Expert and ended up coming second to some guy who got 100% playing Medium, which made my blood boil a little. At the end though the top 4 had a face off on Hard. Beat my first opponent in seconds but the next guy was a nightmare. He got four lefty flips on me in a row but I scraped through and we both finished the song. Stalemate. The song started up again, this time with double speed and more power ups. He got lefty flip AGAIN and this time it was too quick and I lost. Got some tasty cakes and chocolate for my trouble though. happy.gif

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jan 27 2009, 04:12 PM
Post #2163

QUOTE (zeden @ Jan 27 2009, 04:08 PM) *
That said, I really enjoyed it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it makes it a bad game. I'm just saying it makes it a bad Resident Evil game, like 4 was.

This current generation has no proper survival horror (apart from Homecoming, but it's shit). Just think if we had a proper old-style Resident Evil, or a Silent Hill as good as 2 on 360 and PS3... We have to make do with Dead Space, Resi 5, BioShock etc. None of these are bad games, they're just not what "survival horror" means to me. Action games with horror elements aren't survival horror.

Maybe it's just a dying breed, like the adventure game was 10 years ago.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Jan 27 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #2164

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

I couldn't agree more. Both in terms of missing the puzzles and the control scheme Resi has lost what made it Resi. The way it's gone reminds me of the changes between Dino Crisis 1 & 2, what with the loss of all the puzzles (which were ruddy hard in Dino Crisis btw) and the focus on an arcadey, almost Mercenaries type of gameplay.

I guess at least Capcom have established that they're not afraid of making old school remakes at least, what with Street Fighter 2 HD and Megaman 9. Maybe, just maybe, we'll get a proper classic Resi game if the internet shouts loudly enough at them.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jan 27 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #2165

I'd settle for Resident Evil 2 and 3 remade in the REmake/Zero engine, on the 360. The pre-rendered backgrounds mean they still look as good as some current-gen games do now, so they wouldn't even have to write a new engine.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Jan 27 2009, 08:07 PM
Post #2166

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jan 27 2009, 12:40 PM) *
FUCKING WINDOWS LIVE!

Yes, I want the Fallout 3 downloadable content. Yes, I'm even willing to go through the rigamarole of signing up for a Games For Windows Live account, find the correct installer for the proprietary shell that launches the browser that actually allows me to purchase the damn thing because it doesn't show up as available from the "downloads" menu IN Fallout 3, hunt around in my program files to find where that's installed to because it doesn't autolaunch or put up any shortcuts, reinput my login details and confirm my identity. But I am not willing to sign up for a bloody credit card just so I can buy your stupid fucking points to buy the fucking thing!

I think you'll find you can probably use your debit card if you don't mind paying for it. I do on Xbox Live.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jan 27 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #2167

Can't you use points cards that places like GAME and so on sell?

It has Windows LIVE and Xbox LIVE written on the box.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jan 27 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #2168

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

QUOTE (Jubei @ Jan 27 2009, 08:07 PM) *
I think you'll find you can probably use your debit card if you don't mind paying for it. I do on Xbox Live.

No, there's no option for debit cards. Only Visa, Mastercard and Amex.

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jan 27 2009, 08:11 PM) *
Can't you use points cards that places like GAME and so on sell?

It has Windows LIVE and Xbox LIVE written on the box.

Yes. Yes I can. And as I can get 25% off in Game and I got a free 15 gift card from there I shall be doing so when next my friend Shaun is at work.

+Quote Post
Atara
post Jan 27 2009, 09:49 PM
Post #2169

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

You get Visa debit cards too, but that is no help is you've not got one. Maestro is lame, I have found a few things that don't like it, XBox live being one of them.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jan 27 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #2170

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

QUOTE (zeden @ Jan 27 2009, 04:20 PM) *
I couldn't agree more. Both in terms of missing the puzzles and the control scheme Resi has lost what made it Resi. The way it's gone reminds me of the changes between Dino Crisis 1 & 2, what with the loss of all the puzzles (which were ruddy hard in Dino Crisis btw) and the focus on an

Oh christ I remember being fucking horrified by that. The first Dion crisis had so many fantastic innovations, like if you were cut open and left a blood trail raptors would follow it and hunt you down, they could knowck doors down to get to you, they could grab you and make you drop your weapons as well. Just brilliant.
And then the sequel came out and was utter wank, you could build up a score multiplier by killing enemies in a row without getting hit yourself, it was fucking ridiculous.

As Gundam says, Resi 5 probably isn't a bad game for what it is(I'll find out when it's out on PSN), but it just doesn't seem good as a Resi game, which is a shame. I want zombies sad.gif

+Quote Post
Rebus
post Jan 28 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #2171

ЯR

Member No.: 5,395

Doing my part for a few mates at Turbine; 10 day free trial of LOTRO.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Jan 28 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #2172

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

All this discussion about Resident Evil 4 not being a resident evil game is strange to me. Playing through it I felt it was pretty similar to the older games but just had villagers instead of zombies. The way they moved around were the same as zombies and the bigger bosses were no different to bosses in the older games on their scale etc. The plot was about a virus that turned you into a zombie and the control scheme was just as annoying as ever. I admit there weren't as many puzzles in there but I never really considered the puzzles to be that challenging in the older games. More a case of walk through this area to get a corresponding valve/cog and then walk back and use it.

I'm a bit dissapointed about the reviews of Operation Anchorage. I may hang fire on downloading that for a while until all three have been released. Also, as this is my evil playthrough and I know what I'm doing, my character is much better balanced and more powerful but an absolute bitch. I don't want to have to play the extra levels as her when I download them but I'll be disadvantaging myself if I don't. Unless I play through it AGAIN with a good character but I really can't justify that!

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jan 28 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #2173

QUOTE (Atara @ Jan 27 2009, 09:49 PM) *
Maestro is lame, I have found a few things that don't like it, XBox live being one of them.

I use a Maestro. The only thing I've had problems with are Xbox LIVE and Amazon.com (.co.uk works, at least). Fortunately, most online retailers offer PayPal now, but it's still annoying that I sometimes have to buy things off eBay that I could easily have imported through Amazon if I used a different card.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Jan 28 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #2174

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

Spent most of today on Fallout 3, exploring and doing a little bit of the main quest. Vault 106 is pretty damn creepy, and the insane survivors are annoyingly difficult to kill.

This post has been edited by sweetbutinsane: Jan 28 2009, 07:31 PM

+Quote Post
Rebus
post Jan 29 2009, 12:58 AM
Post #2175

ЯR

Member No.: 5,395

QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Jan 29 2009, 05:31 AM) *
Spent most of today on Fallout 3, exploring and doing a little bit of the main quest. Vault 106 is pretty damn creepy, and the insane survivors are annoyingly difficult to kill.

Really? I remember a good whiff of the combat shotgun to the head usually sorting them right out.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 143 144 145 146 147 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 06:57 AM