Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
monkeyman
post Mar 31 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #2746

Serenity.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,170

Finished Dead Space and I have come away thoroughly impressed. Again I will make a Resi4 comparison but only to say it completely blows it out of the water. It was more fun, creepy, tense and addictive then Resi4. It had a better move and shoot setup, the weapons were more interesting. The complete lack of a HUD is a thing of beauty, Isaacs health is represented by 4+ (depending on upgrades) bars on a tube running up the spine of his suit and is also represented by the fact he will limp and stagger about when he is injured. Everything is also represented in holograms/projections that Isaac will actually look at, so video logs you find, or items you can pick up etc and your inventory and map all project a few feet in front of Isaac and he will look at them as you move the cursor around, it's a neat little touch and is a great way of not breaking up the gameplay. The zero-G sections were for the most part, astounding as well. It's great fun to leap to the ceiling and stand then in your grav boots looking at the floor with dismembered limbs and stuff floating around, and then watching it all drop down when gravity is restored. there are sections in vacuums as well, either in rooms that have been depressurised due to hull breaches or when you have to go outside the ship a few times, these times are great as well, your oxygen supply is limited and it is almost completely silent, even when firing weapons or having beasties attack you. I guess they could have had complete silence but I don't think that would have been quite as nerve racking.
The audio logs should get a mention as they are similar to the ones in bioshock, they set the tone for what was going on at the time when the ship was getting all crazy, and it's great listening to them. There are text logs as well which are as interesting as some of the audio logs but it's not as fun as hearing someone panicking as they're explaining something.

There are a few issues I have with it. Isaac doesn't talk throughout the whole thing and it just doesn't work at certain parts of the game where real bad and/or emotional shit is happening to him and he doesn't really react except maybe to put his hand to his face.
The enemy variation isn't huge, the devs cheated a bit by having the same enemies later on, but making them black with glowing eyes and having them be stronger and faster. There is a decent amount of enemies to fight though and all have certain ways that are best to take them down with, and the bosses are quite cool for the most part.
The story is very interesting but I still feel too much of it is left unexplained, and I can imagine if you aren't the kind of person who checks every nook and cranny like me if you missed certain text or audio logs you'd miss certain parts of the background explanation.
There is a Kinesis module you can use in the game, it's essentially the same function as the grav gun from Half Life 2 (except it's powered by your suit and you lift stuff by holding your hand and moving it), it let's you pick up boxes and dead bodies and items that are floating about or in hard to reach areas, and I think it works for the game, I can almost believe that there could be something made that lets you lift/move things like that. But then there is also a stasis module, which "slows fast things down, including enemies". So there's certain puzzles you need to use it on like a big fast spinning fan blade in an extractor system, you will use stasis on the blade and it will slow down allowing you to go past, or use it on enemies to stop them in their tracks and then take them apart. I really enjoyed using it but I couldn't help thinking in the back of my mind "well this is silly, something like this could never exist". Of course I'm thinking that in a sci-fi game where there's all sorts of unrealistic stuff, but it stuck in my mind a bit.

So yeah, very impressed with the game, though there are a fair few flaws. It's great to see EA are trying new IP's (this and Mirrors Edge) instead of pumping out the same tired old franchises with barely any changes. Even if Dead Space ends up being a long term franchise I can see there being lots of scope for inovation.

8.5/10

This post has been edited by monkeyman: Mar 31 2009, 10:12 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Mar 31 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #2747

Serenity.

I saw Farcry 2 and Folklore going for 15 in gamestation today. I was sorely tempted by them but am torn as to which one I want. I dunno if I want another shooter after having just finished Dead Space, and recently Killzone 2 (the multiplayer I am still enjoying also). I may get Folklore.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Mar 31 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #2748

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

I'd agree with just about everything you said about Dead Space. The thing with Isaac not speaking, I bet that's their attempt at copying Gordon Freeman in that he never forces anything on your expectations of the character, so you can effectively project your own personality onto him. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in Dead Space because it's third person. When you're in first person you tend to associate with the character and feel like you ARE that character, whereas in third person you feel like you're just controlling someone else. For me, I expect a third person character to have a personality of their own, I don't feel like that's a representation of me. As it is, Isaac just comes across as a lifeless shell with no one filling it.

As a direct result of this, I didn't find Dead Space very scary at all. I didn't feel like I was in any danger because I didn't feel like I was even there, unlike a first person thing like Condemned or System Shock 2 (which Dead Space borrows heavily from). The atmosphere was good but Isaac was such a lifeless unreactive lump I didn't particularly care about him, and that's a crucial part of horror.

On the whole though it was a very good game, it just fell a little bit short of excellence for me, but nothing that couldn't be easily fixed in a sequel.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Mar 31 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #2749

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

Deadspace and Beautiful Katamari are sitting in my basket waiting for the confirm click as I shall probably finish Bioshock again tonight. I'm extremely pissed off though as I've just found out that I can't get the tonic acheivement as I'm playing through it as an evil. There goes my attempt to get all acheivements on a game for the first time ever.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Mar 31 2009, 01:12 PM
Post #2750

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Mar 31 2009, 02:04 PM) *
Deadspace and Beautiful Katamari are sitting in my basket waiting for the confirm click as I shall probably finish Bioshock again tonight. I'm extremely pissed off though as I've just found out that I can't get the tonic acheivement as I'm playing through it as an evil. There goes my attempt to get all acheivements on a game for the first time ever.

Actually I think you can still get it. There was a free DLC download which had some new tonics and plasmids, and I think you can get these as a substitute for the ones you now can't get through playing as evil.

Edit: And they only cost 1 Adam each from the gatherer's gardens.

This post has been edited by Nonus Aequilibrium: Mar 31 2009, 01:15 PM

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Mar 31 2009, 01:17 PM
Post #2751

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Mar 31 2009, 02:12 PM) *
Actually I think you can still get it. There was a free DLC download which had some new tonics and plasmids, and I think you can get these as a substitute for the ones you now can't get through playing as evil.

Edit: And they only cost 1 Adam each from the gatherer's gardens.

Quality. Where do I get the DLC from?

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Mar 31 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #2752

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Mar 31 2009, 02:17 PM) *
Quality. Where do I get the DLC from?

Here on Xbox Live Marketplace.

+Quote Post
Atara
post Mar 31 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #2753

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Mar 31 2009, 01:06 PM) *
I saw Farcry 2 and Folklore going for 15 in gamestation today. I was sorely tempted by them but am torn as to which one I want. I dunno if I want another shooter after having just finished Dead Space, and recently Killzone 2 (the multiplayer I am still enjoying also). I may get Folklore.

I'd play Folklore.

Patapon 2 is awesome. So simple yet so addictive and fun.

This post has been edited by Atara: Mar 31 2009, 01:40 PM

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Mar 31 2009, 01:48 PM
Post #2754

Serenity.

I think I might get Farcry 2 this month and Folklore next month. Or both now. 15 each is good, even if they're pre-owned.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Mar 31 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #2755

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Mar 31 2009, 02:26 PM) *
Here on Xbox Live Marketplace.

Wow. That's ace. I didn't know I could do that away from my Xbox. Thanks very much.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Mar 31 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #2756

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Mar 29 2009, 01:38 PM) *
As for the price drop, Sony are making a Playstation related announcement on March 31st. It may be a PS3 price drop announcement, but it could also be a PS2 price drop announcement laugh.gif

Yep, it's a PS2 price drop, down to $99 in the US and 99 in Europe, excluding the UK.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Mar 31 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #2757

Serenity.

I didn't think they'd wait until after GDC to announce a PS3 price cut. They are being stupid though. I bet there are a pretty big number of people waiting for a price drop before purchasing one, and all the price cut rumours flying about at the moment are just going to make people wait even longer.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Mar 31 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #2758

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Mar 31 2009, 02:48 PM) *
I think I might get Farcry 2 this month and Folklore next month. Or both now. 15 each is good, even if they're pre-owned.

I find it hard to recommend Far Cry 2. It may be huge and wide open but it's populated by incredibly repetitive gameplay. Things like buddy missions involve going halfway across the world, blowing up some generic item or killing a generic nobody, then for some reason, you have to go all the way back to the person who gave you the mission on the other side of the world only for them to say "thanks" and give you sod all reward... but you can't start another mission till you've done that. And it's horrendously bugged, once you get to about 60% of the game complete the save games start becoming corrupted and crashing the game if you try to load them.

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Mar 31 2009, 02:55 PM) *
Wow. That's ace. I didn't know I could do that away from my Xbox. Thanks very much.

Yeah marketplace on xbox.com is very useful. Good for queuing up a load of downloads while you're at work and have them just start immediately as soon as you turn your xbox on when you get home.

This post has been edited by Nonus Aequilibrium: Mar 31 2009, 02:11 PM

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Mar 31 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #2759

Serenity.

Is this
once you get to about 60% of the game complete the save games start becoming corrupted and crashing the game if you try to load them.
true across all platforms? I'm thinking of getting it for PS3.
I've read a fair bit about the game and I know what there is about it i will like and dislike, and I think 15 is a pretty good price for the experience.

I meant to mention that I agree with you with what you said about Isaac not speaking in Dead Space; and how they seemed to be trying to tap into the Gordon Freeman silent hero shit. The sequel definetely needs to have him speaking, it just makes more sense with the amount of characters talking to him throughout.

+Quote Post
logger
post Mar 31 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #2760

Guests

I was hoping Isaac would turn out to be a robot. I also liked how in the future even a mining ship would be full over weapons and ammunition.

In other news I bought Killzone 2 yesterday, still not had time to play it though.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 182 183 184 185 186 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 01:46 PM