> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
Jimmay
post Apr 6 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #2821

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 6,090

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Apr 6 2009, 11:15 AM) *
I recommend the Line gun, it is a wider version of the plasma cutter, and it's secondary fire chucks out a mine which is useful for firing into a room and then backing away whilst it explodes. I have a special place in my heart for the ripper as well, though it's really at it's best when fully modified.

The ammo is much rarer to come across. Although I am wondering whether or not it depends what guns you have in your inventory as to what you find lying around. Also, I don't see the point in the pulse rifle's secondary fire.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloomeeney
post Apr 6 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #2822

I'm an evil werewolf!

Member No.: 2,245

Then there is always the achievement for playing throught he whole game with just the plasma cutter.....

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Apr 6 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #2823

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Apr 6 2009, 11:15 AM) *
I recommend the Line gun, it is a wider version of the plasma cutter, and it's secondary fire chucks out a mine which is useful for firing into a room and then backing away whilst it explodes. I have a special place in my heart for the ripper as well, though it's really at it's best when fully modified.

You know, I don't think I used secondary fire deliberately on any weapon for the entire game. I think after I discovered the secondary fire function, I used it on a couple of guns in isolation where it looked to be utterly useless and then forgot about it again.

This post has been edited by Nonus Aequilibrium: Apr 6 2009, 10:42 AM

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Apr 6 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #2824

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Apr 6 2009, 11:41 AM) *
You know, I don't think I used secondary fire deliberately on any weapon for the entire game. I think after I discovered the secondary fire function, I used it on a couple of guns in isolation where it looked to be utterly useless and then forgot about it again.

I do use secondary fire on the plasma cutter to better chop off certain body parts. Especially on the babies with the tentacles. I hate talking about games at on here at work, it makes me want to bunk off early.

+Quote Post
logger
post Apr 6 2009, 11:39 AM
Post #2825

Guests

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Apr 6 2009, 11:37 AM) *
The ammo is much rarer to come across. Although I am wondering whether or not it depends what guns you have in your inventory as to what you find lying around.

You do find more ammo for what you're carrying. And to be honest, I don't know how you're surviving without the line gun. When cornered by beasties that's the go to gun.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Apr 6 2009, 01:17 PM
Post #2826

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Apr 6 2009, 11:29 AM) *
I was playing Dead Space yesterday with the curtains closed, all alone in the house. Then suddenly Totoro decides she wants to be loved and stroked and jumps up into my lap without warning. I swear I nearly shit myself and she nearly ended up going across the room. Silly kitty probably thought it would be amusing to make me scream like a little girl.

heh, I had a good chuckle when you told me this.

I'm also fairly certain will also only get ammo for weapons that you have in your inventory at the time and the line gun is brilliant. I do wish I had upgraded my stasis module a bit though, I severely underused it.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Apr 6 2009, 01:20 PM
Post #2827

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Apr 6 2009, 02:17 PM) *
heh, I had a good chuckle when you told me this.

I'm also fairly certain will also only get ammo for weapons that you have in your inventory at the time and the line gun is brilliant. I do wish I had upgraded my stasis module a bit though, I severely underused it.

You can pick up ammo for weapons you don't own as I have done. I also haven't used Stasis that much but I have been inspired to do so now after that boss in the cryochamber bit. I can see it coming in handy actually.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Apr 6 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #2828

Serenity.

How many weapons do you actually own at the moment?

All i know is I had the Plasma cutter, Line gun, Ripper and Contact beam in my inventory and they are the only weapons I got ammo for. I had bought the force gun and stuck it in the bank hoping to pick up ammo for it ;realising I hadn't got any, then taking it out and finding some away.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Apr 6 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #2829

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Apr 6 2009, 02:22 PM) *
How many weapons do you actually own at the moment?

All i know is I had the Plasma cutter, Line gun, Ripper and Contact beam in my inventory and they are the only weapons I got ammo for. I had bought the force gun and stuck it in the bank hoping to pick up ammo for it ;realising I hadn't got any, then taking it out and finding some away.

I've just got the plasma cutter and the pulse rifle. I've been spending all my credits on power nodes to upgrade my armour and plasma cutter. I may invest in the line gun tonight though.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Apr 6 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #2830

Serenity.

Yeah i expect you were getting ammo for other guns because you only have two in your inventory at the moment..

I didn't use the pulse rifle, I prefered the mining weapons as they tend to do more horrific damage to enemies laugh.gif. I didn't use the flamethrower much either though as it is a bit weak (in fact for it to be effective you still have to aim for limbs). I rented the game for a week but I kind of wish I'd bought it now.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Apr 6 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #2831

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

I didn't get the Line Gun for a while, presuming it'd be just a fancier Plasma Cutter, but when I did get it I was like "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!". It's very juicy. I did play around with the Ripper for a while, which is satisfying, but ultimately settled on the Plasma Rifle, for when there's lots of itty-bitty creatures or good for a mad spray, and the Force Gun, which is good for dispersing close encounters and the secondary grenade launcher option is perfect for those wall-hugging screaming thingies which keep birthing those shooting splotches.

Also, finished Bioshock for the first time last night. Bit unsatisfied with the ending I got and it was rather abrupt and unclear. Still a terrific game and one I'll certainly replay before the sequel comes out - probably try to be a good boy as well.

This post has been edited by Kick in the Head: Apr 6 2009, 02:02 PM

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Apr 6 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #2832

Serenity.

Which ending did you get?

I'm hoping to see more enemy types in Dead space 2, or at least more variation sof the same types if they have to. It was a bit sucky to have the same types of enemies coming at you, especially when they all looked so similar, and then the later harder versions were black and that was about it for variation.

The force gun was good for bowling enemies over, I didn't level it up much though, could you increase it's range at all?

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Apr 6 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #2833

Cent Dix-Sept

I harvested about 4 or 5 little sisters, and I got a telling off for all my brutality from Tenenbaum, some people are at the lighthouse clearing the wreckage when loads of bathyspheres emerge from the water and splicers fly out and kill them all. Then a nuclear sub surfaces. It was all a little unexpected and didn't really seem to fit with the rest of the story, but I guess that's naughty endings for you.

I didn't level up the Force Gun much to be honest so I can't remember the change in range, and I rarely used it for killing bad'uns, except for shooting grenades round corners. Though my brother used it a fair amount and it can send enemies flying pretty far.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Apr 6 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #2834

Serenity.

heh, good ending isn't much better if I'm honest. I would like to have had a longer closing scene.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Apr 6 2009, 03:05 PM
Post #2835

Cent Dix-Sept

Well, yeah, I think it was the length that irked me more than anything. When the game has gone to such an effort to build up a compelling atmosphere and narrative, to have it all reduced to a quick FMV at the end with no credits (obviously, these can be seen in the main menu, but it's just not the same!) is a bit of a kick in the teeth. I know it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but as it's the final part of the game, you'd think it'd be a tad more substantial.

Dead Space's final cutscene, for example, was probably just as short, though admittedly with less to tie up, but far more effective, satisfying and in keeping with the rest of the game (though obviously played more for a final 'boo!' yuk-yuk than actually making a great deal of sense like many a horror film).

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 187 188 189 190 191 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 08:44 AM