> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
zeden
post May 7 2009, 07:10 AM
Post #2971

When doves cry

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,533

Yeah, because everyone envies high gamerscores and all... happy.gif

Really wish they'd add a genuine incentive to that system, the only thing I use it for is...I genuinely thought there was a reason I ever looked at it but in reality it's nothing more than a quick glance to assess how much of the game someone's finished and then I forget about it.
Still, the noise is always strangely satisfying when you unlock one, as fruitless as it is.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post May 7 2009, 08:10 AM
Post #2972

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

QUOTE (zeden @ May 7 2009, 08:10 AM) *
Yeah, because everyone envies high gamerscores and all... happy.gif

Really wish they'd add a genuine incentive to that system, the only thing I use it for is...I genuinely thought there was a reason I ever looked at it but in reality it's nothing more than a quick glance to assess how much of the game someone's finished and then I forget about it.
Still, the noise is always strangely satisfying when you unlock one, as fruitless as it is.

I don't see the point in hoarding points. But seeing as I've put a lot of time into games like Fallout 3 and Bioshock (the only two games I've ever come close to 100% acheivement points on) I want to see if it genuinely feels like an "acheivement." I can't believe I'm enjoying Fallout 3 still, the third time through.

+Quote Post
zeden
post May 7 2009, 08:27 AM
Post #2973

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

Duke Nukem Forever is finally dead it seems.

Things that have taken less time than Duke Nukem Forever's Development:
# The United States' entire program to put a man on the moon, from Kennedy's challenge to the landing.

# The complete construction of many monumental buildings and engineering projects. To name a few-
* The Empire State Building (Jan 1930 - May 1931)
* The Channel Tunnel (Dec 1987 - May 1994)
* The Golden Gate Bridge (Jan 1933 - May 1937)
* The World Trade Center (Aug 1966 - April 1973)

* World War II and the entire Manhattan Project. Yes, even the complete development of the atomic bomb took less time.

laugh.gif

This post has been edited by zeden: May 7 2009, 08:40 AM

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post May 7 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #2974

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

Achievements and Gamerscore were a brilliant idea. Ok, they might not get you anything, but they just give this long running sense of progress, they encourage you to finish a game completely and occasionally discover features you'd normally have missed if there wasn't an achievement for using them. Or they encourage you to play the game in a completely different style to what you normally would. Any game on any platform could have implemented something similar, but it's the fact that they're global and uniform means you've got something to compare against your friends even if you're playing different games.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post May 7 2009, 03:50 PM
Post #2975

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Agree with Nonus completely, they are a great incentive to replay or try something you normally wouldn't (play an evil character in Fallout 3 for instance). It is annoying when people get all worked up comparing them.

If I recall (though I guess most people don't really care about Home at the moment [I am on the fence]) with Streetfighter 4 you could unlock figurines for your house by getting Achievements in the game, that kind of crossover stuff is great to me. There will also be a Trophy room added for you to view all trophies which I think is cool and pointless. I hope more companies link items for use in Home to achievements as it's an added little perk to earning them.

I think Zeden has a point in that they should make the Gamerscores/Achievements have another incentive behind them, perhaps a discount on the PSN/XBLA or something, maybe exclusive themes/backgrounds. It will be nice to see if the companies take them any further.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post May 7 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #2976

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

I don't know, I like them the way they are, as nothing more than just a bit of fun/bragging rights. I think the actual score counts for a lot too, I started getting trophies on Killzone 2 but they felt a bit hollow and empty without having a score attached to them, contributing to a running total. XBL tends to stick it right in your face as well, on the dashboard or websites where your gamercard appears the gamerscore is part of your identity, whereas on PS3 you have to actively go looking for it. Making a big deal of it in Home seems a bit of a waste of time, since I've only ever used that once, when I first got my PS3. I ran round for about 5 minutes and thought "there's nothing to do" and quit to go do something else. Home would have been better if that was your default dashboard which just loaded when you turned your console on, but it just doesn't seem worth the time to load it. It also suffers from not giving you any way to communicate with anyone effectively by default. No headset, no chat pad, just the virtual on screen keyboard which isn't worth using.

I should be getting that Uncharted: Drakes Fortune tomorrow, I've heard from quite a few people that it's pretty good.

This post has been edited by Nonus Aequilibrium: May 7 2009, 04:21 PM

+Quote Post
logger
post May 7 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #2977

Guests

Much like in real life, achievements mean nothing to me.

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post May 7 2009, 06:53 PM
Post #2978

Life's a grave, dig it.

Member No.: 2,711

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ May 7 2009, 04:19 PM) *
I should be getting that Uncharted: Drakes Fortune tomorrow, I've heard from quite a few people that it's pretty good.

It's a very good game. Gameplay itself is quite generic and ripped from several well known games but there's enough there to make you think "Wow." or "I like the way they've done that." often enough. The games real charm is it's development of the characters, they're genuine and "real". Some great dialogue too.

Graphics are nice to boot.

It all goes a bit hairy when the inevitable monsters appear though. Intuiative last boss fight too. (I never said it was good.)

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post May 8 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #2979

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

Well, looks like Game of the Year 2010 has been announced...

Pokemon Gold and Silver remade FireRed-style on the DS!

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 8 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #2980

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

Currently crunching through Gears 2. After being a little overwhelmed and not really taking things in to begin with, things are getting interesting.

+Quote Post
logger
post May 8 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #2981

Guests

I've started Mass Effect for the third time and have finally got beyond the Citadel. I'm enjoying the whole sci fi feel. Just got to get past this ambush to get the final member of my crew but so far they are kicking my arse.

+Quote Post
Llama
post May 8 2009, 01:35 PM
Post #2982

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 8 2009, 12:58 PM) *
Currently crunching through Gears 2. After being a little overwhelmed and not really taking things in to begin with, things are getting interesting.

Just as much fun (on co-op) as the first I reckon. Play some Horde!

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 8 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #2983

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Llama @ May 8 2009, 02:35 PM) *
Just as much fun (on co-op) as the first I reckon. Play some Horde!

Yeah, I'm up for trying that too. Last night we finished just after freeing ourselves from the GIANT WORM!

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post May 8 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #2984

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 8 2009, 02:59 PM) *
Yeah, I'm up for trying that too. Last night we finished just after freeing ourselves from the GIANT WORM!

That whole level is brilliant. That sealed it as a great game for me. Horde is good fun but really difficult with just two people (not impossible though.)

+Quote Post
logger
post May 9 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #2985

Guests

Has anybody had a Mass Effect character suddenly stop following you and then just stand still like a dildo until you order them to a location or there's an enemy?

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 197 198 199 200 201 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 10:15 PM