> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
Jimmay
post Jun 25 2008, 08:43 AM
Post #31

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 6,090

QUOTE (Jubei @ Jun 25 2008, 09:39 AM)
I read a bit about this, but couldn't work out if it was a big game or not, seems it is.  The online multiplayer games can apparently last hours as well, with up to 4 players.  Shame it's not XBLA or I might have been able to stretch to buying it and giving you a game.

You can pick it up for £30 online and if you're a Civ fan I would recommend it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
curtinparloe
post Jun 25 2008, 10:25 AM
Post #32

All out of mercy today.

Member No.: 4,706

I went a bit mad this weekend and downloaded all the Amiga games I used to own, and I've been having a nostalgic bloodbath biggrin.gif

(Frontier still rules. I still can't believe they did such a shoddy PC port.)

+Quote Post
Llama
post Jun 25 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #33

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

I have never played any of the Civilization games, is there a particular one people would recommend?

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Jun 25 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (Llama @ Jun 25 2008, 12:29 PM)
I have never played any of the Civilization games, is there a particular one people would recommend?

I started playing Civilization with the very first one which had a manual about an inch thick. Being young and naÔve I learned how to play it by trial and error. With every new PC version of Civ (theyíre up to 4 now) they add new features so it has been quite easy to learn the new things as they come along. I can imagine it would be pretty overwhelming to learn the whole lot from scratch by jumping in on Civ IV.

If you have a 360 though I would recommend Civ Revolution as it tones down on the detail a hell of a lot and is a bit more arcadey without being too simple and boring. If you like it then maybe give Civ IV a try.

On the other hand, my mate swears by Civ II and didnít get on with any of the ones after that but I reckon that would look pretty dated now.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jun 25 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #35

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Civ II is an evil, evil game that made me fail my exams.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Jun 25 2008, 01:10 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jun 25 2008, 02:06 PM)
Civ II is an evil, evil game that made me fail my exams.

Me too. It was the only game that I had on my old 486 that my parents thought was nothing more than a word processor. The sound and the CD drive were both knackered but it ran without the CD and didn't need sound. Ideal for me playing it sneakily while my parents thought I was working.

+Quote Post
Llama
post Jun 25 2008, 01:22 PM
Post #37

Learning to walk again

Thanks for the advice, Jimmay, sir. I will give Revolution a go once the price has gone down a bit and see how I get on. It does sound a lot like something I'd enjoy though so I can't imagine I'll be disappointed.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Jun 25 2008, 01:25 PM
Post #38

QUOTE (Llama @ Jun 25 2008, 02:22 PM)
Thanks for the advice, Jimmay, sir. I will give Revolution a go once the price has gone down a bit and see how I get on. It does sound a lot like something I'd enjoy though so I can't imagine I'll be disappointed.

Well once you get hold of a copy and get a bit of practice in give me a shout and we can have a game.

+Quote Post
Llama
post Jun 25 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #39

Learning to walk again

Will do!

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jun 25 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #40

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jun 25 2008, 02:05 PM)
On the other hand, my mate swears by Civ II and didnít get on with any of the ones after that but I reckon that would look pretty dated now.

I found that as well, and have played Civ II as recently as last Easter. It may look dated, but the game play is as good, and addictive, as ever. I still have all the add-ons for it as well, so I can customise the game or make my own version!

I just wish I could find the development chart for it again, it takes an age working out what to develop next using the in game tools!

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Jun 25 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (Raven @ Jun 25 2008, 04:24 PM)
I found that as well, and have played Civ II as recently as last Easter.  It may look dated, but the game play is as good, and addictive, as ever.  I still have all the add-ons for it as well, so I can customise the game or make my own version!

I just wish I could find the development chart for it again, it takes an age working out what to develop next using the in game tools!

I'm struggling to remember what CIVII looked like. I remember when I showed my mate the first Civilization, which I was addicted to at the time, he laughed when he saw how basic the graphics were and then gave me a copy of CivII. It was beautiful but I bet it looks shocking now. I'm going to dig up some screenshots.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jun 25 2008, 03:47 PM
Post #42

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jun 25 2008, 04:42 PM)
I'm struggling to remember what CIVII looked like.  I remember when I showed my mate the first Civilization, which I was addicted to at the time, he laughed when he saw how basic the graphics were and then gave me a copy of CivII.  It was beautiful but I bet it looks shocking now.  I'm going to dig up some screenshots.

It's not that bad to be honest, becuase it's a game that doesn't really need a load of fancy graphics.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Jun 25 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (Raven @ Jun 25 2008, 04:47 PM)

It's not that bad to be honest, becuase it's a game that doesn't really need a load of fancy graphics.

Ace. I could live with that, easy. I wonder if there's a way I could download it onto my Blackberry or something. That would make the commute down to London that much quicker.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jun 25 2008, 03:59 PM
Post #44

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jun 25 2008, 04:56 PM)
Ace.  I could live with that, easy.  I wonder if there's a way I could download it onto my Blackberry or something.  That would make the commute down to London that much quicker.

Jimmay ends up in Brighton every morning . . .

Wikipedia Page - I've only had a quick look, but there's some interesting stuff on there!

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Jun 25 2008, 04:05 PM
Post #45

The sick product of a crazy society

Member No.: 2,263

QUOTE (Raven @ Jun 25 2008, 04:24 PM)

This one?

Civ 2 was great, but I think 3 was the one I spent longest playing. Alpha Centauri was amazing, when it didn't crash.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 01:45 PM