Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
Jubei
post Aug 8 2008, 08:29 AM
Post #301

Meow

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,416

I like the idea of sneaky stealthy games, but I also get bored of them. I enjoyed MGS on PS1, but was bored by the sequel, I hated Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, but enjoyed Chaos Theory - especially co-op, and I did enjoy Assassins creed, but more the escaping than the stealthing.

The stealth games I would say I've most enjoyed are - and these aren't traditional stealth games, but they do require a lot of crawling, observing and silent killing - are the GRAW games. And the old Commandos games. They were great stealthy games too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Aug 8 2008, 09:34 AM
Post #302

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

QUOTE (Jubei @ Aug 8 2008, 09:29 AM)
And the old Commandos games.  They were great stealthy games too.

Commandos was absolutely wicked, I agree entirely.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Aug 8 2008, 10:21 AM
Post #303

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (frostitute @ Aug 8 2008, 02:59 AM)
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - get on it!

I agree, Chaos Theory is awesome (great music by Amon Tobin too - someone should let him score a Bond movie)

I've not played Assassin's Creed, but from what I've heard I'll probably give it a miss.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Aug 8 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #304

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

I'm not sure why Assassin's Creed even qualifies as "stealth" because you spend all your time wandering around in full view of hundreds of people. All "stealth" requires in that game is holding down the B button so that you walk slower and guards who were just about to want to kill you suddenly lose interest. Because clearly someone walking slightly faster than everyone else is a clear indication that he's up to no good. If you're armed to the teeth with throwing knives, swords, a hood over your face etc, that's all perfectly normal as long as you're not walking too fast, apparently.

On the plus side, Jade Raymond is outrageously hot.

My Rock Band drums just arrived, it's trickier than it looks, although I did have a go on Enter Sandman on expert as only my second attempt ever at the game and managed to get 65% before I failed, which I was quite happy about.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Aug 8 2008, 01:46 PM
Post #305

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 8 2008, 02:16 PM)
I'm not sure why Assassin's Creed even qualifies as "stealth"...

All valid points, but a lot of the game at least makes an attempt at pointing you towards taking the quiet route. Sliping over walls, and over beams, rather than just barging in. Admittedly it drops this by the end. Perhaps not stealth, but threat avoidance.

+Quote Post
Llama
post Aug 8 2008, 02:38 PM
Post #306

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

I just picked up Gears of War for 9.98 from my local Blockbuster. Having never played it before but heard lots of good things, I'm looking forward to giving it a go later!

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Aug 8 2008, 06:12 PM
Post #307

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (Llama @ Aug 8 2008, 03:38 PM)
I just picked up Gears of War for 9.98 from my local Blockbuster. Having never played it before but heard lots of good things, I'm looking forward to giving it a go later!

It's the manilest game ever made. Everyone is built like a car and you can't so much as climb over a small ledge without your whole team going "NRRRRG GRRR ERRRGG!"

It's very, very good and fun, but works best in small doses because the gameplay is very much "walk along, trigger enemy spawn, take cover and kill them all, move on". The missions are slightly varied and have some great moments, and it's extremely bloody.

Also best played in Co-Op (not the supermarket) if you can.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Aug 8 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #308

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

Damn, Julie, get that Rock Band issue sorted! Dave and I rocked the joint, for the most part. Wish you could've joined us.

QUOTE (bump909 @ Aug 7 2008, 09:28 PM)
you haven't played Assassin's Creed?!

I've got it, but it's in the backlog...

QUOTE (frostitute @ Aug 7 2008, 09:59 PM)
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - get on it!

Ditto.

This post has been edited by Omniscia: Aug 8 2008, 08:54 PM

+Quote Post
Julie
post Aug 8 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #309

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Aug 8 2008, 04:53 PM)
Damn, Julie, get that Rock Band issue sorted! Dave and I rocked the joint, for the most part. Wish you could've joined us.

sad.gif

Next time.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Aug 8 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #310

Candygram!

The game still has some kinks to be worked out... It doesn't quite pick up vocals if you're singing with anything beyond a clean tone. And it sounds ridiculous to even attempt to sing "Enter Sandman" as a Benedictine monk would.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Aug 8 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #311

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

QUOTE (Llama @ Aug 8 2008, 02:38 PM)

Wave goodbye to your social life cos this game is addictive on live!

If you want someone to play, I'm 'Diablo Munkee' on Live smile.gif

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Aug 8 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #312

Candygram!

So, I picked up the Police Quest collection for $6 the other day, but I'm a little hesitant to try it, because my memories of most Sierra adventures involve quite a lot of dying and reloading...

I'm not really keen on the whole trial-and-error thing, when it comes to what should be simple tasks, like walking across the street.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Aug 8 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #313

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (Julie @ Aug 8 2008, 09:55 PM)
sad.gif

Next time.

D'oh, I think it may have been a NAT problem. If you run the network connection tests from the dashboard, what does it say your NAT is set to? If it's strict it'll have real trouble connecting to other people. While I'm at work mine's "moderate" unfortunately so it might have been causing some issues.

That game is bloody good fun on the drums at least. The difficulties seem to be wildly varying, I found medium to be a good level for where I am at the moment but I did try expert and completed the first three songs quite easily. I managed to complete Dani California on hard which was quite fun to play.

I still can't see me ever getting that good at drums though, my right hand has immense trouble ignoring what my right foot is doing and tries to mirror it all the time when it gets faster.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Aug 9 2008, 03:53 AM
Post #314

Candygram!

Yeah, I've been trying the drums a bit, tonight, inspired by your performance this evening. Medium's just fine with me, for now.

The weak part, for me, is the left-most pad. For some reason, I just have a hard time hitting that with enough force to register. Either I need to strengthen my left wrist some, or the drum unit itself is a mite faulty...

+Quote Post
Atara
post Aug 9 2008, 07:44 AM
Post #315

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 8 2008, 11:31 PM)
That game is bloody good fun on the drums at least. The difficulties seem to be wildly varying, I found medium to be a good level for where I am at the moment but I did try expert and completed the first three songs quite easily. I managed to complete Dani California on hard which was quite fun to play.

I found this too, I thought I was a genious, flying through expert on the drums ... for a while, then suddenly the bass pedal goes crazy and I have to hit it at all different times and I can't cope. Medium is fine for some songs, but can sometimes be ridiculously easy, but then going up a step suddenly makes its solid.

I really need to get back to playing it, it is good fun but not touched it for ages.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 02:35 AM