> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
monkeyman
post May 21 2009, 03:35 PM
Post #3076

Serenity.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,170

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ May 21 2009, 10:27 AM) *
I'm not excited in the least (Metal Gear Solid strolled firmly into the realms of stupidity a long time ago, 1 and 3 are the only good ones), and I see Snake clear as day.

Burn in hell
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post May 21 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #3077

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

That thing jutting out of his "neck" reminds me of that fungal thing in Firewalker in Season 2 of X Files.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post May 21 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #3078

Serenity.

Joe'll be happy MGS1 (and Resi1 Directors cut [which is pretty good]) coming to the PSN

EDIT:Oh and R-Type delta....that is an awesome game. Not that I need to pay for any of those games.

This post has been edited by monkeyman: May 21 2009, 04:34 PM

+Quote Post
omni
post May 21 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #3079

Mort Canard, Attorney at Law

Member No.: 3,661

QUOTE (monkeyman @ May 20 2009, 01:25 PM) *
This is apparantly a leaked trailer of the next Team ICO game. It looks like the right style and features the chain going doing a hole featured in the one screenshot that was released a while ago. It looks quite interesting.

They stole the theme music from Miller's Crossing.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post May 21 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #3080

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (monkeyman @ May 21 2009, 04:35 PM) *
Burn in hell

That's a bit strong...

QUOTE (monkeyman @ May 21 2009, 05:27 PM) *
Joe'll be happy MGS1 (and Resi1 Directors cut [which is pretty good]) coming to the PSN

EDIT:Oh and R-Type delta....that is an awesome game. Not that I need to pay for any of those games.

YES! Finally! They only said they'd do this a year ago...

+Quote Post
Atara
post May 21 2009, 06:46 PM
Post #3081

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

If you like MGS3 and have not played 4, at what stage did it become so silly that you stopped liking it?

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post May 21 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #3082

Life's a grave, dig it.

Member No.: 2,711

QUOTE (maian @ May 19 2009, 03:36 PM) *
Do you mean the SNES one or Metal Gear Solid? They did a remake of that on the Gamecube. It was pretty good, really took advantage of the added power and capabilities, but didn't add much new, other than allowing you to do some of the things that you could do in Metal Gear Solid 2 (hanging off ledges etc.)

The Unskippable episode about Eternal Sonata has completely put me off it. No game should have an 8 minute opening cutscene about the village in which the characters live.

First oerson view as well. The Twin Snakes was a great remake.

Eternal Sonata is WELL worth a purchase. Excellent battle system wrapped around a shitty story. The cut scenes are appauling, and there's often more than one of the buggers at the same time. What's worse is that there's hardly any action in them, it's all conversation and fables.

Great game though.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post May 21 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #3083

Serenity.

@Gundam:I had meant to put a wink at the bottom which was why the post goes down so far laugh.gif

So inFamous has been getting good reviews; I just played the demo and was pretty damn impressed by it, It looks pretty (for the most part) and runs great even with a ton of explosions and shit going on, it also has really cool comic book style cut-scenes.
The demo is quite generous and lets you play 3 mission some with good powers and some with bad powers to see the differences and it's interesting to see the differences in powers and how people react to you.
The powers are great; you have your basic electric bolt which you can use even with no stored power, and then other powers which you need to have stored energy to pull off, theres sticky electric grenades, shockwave (which is essentially force push [the games physics work excellently with this move]), and thunder drop as well, which is where you jump from a height and slam into the ground releasing a big area of effect electric blast (to recharge you can suck energy out of things like vehicles or other electrical sources, if you want to be evil you can suck "Bio-Electrical" energy out of enemies and innocen ts). It's bloody brilliant fun and the differences between good and evil powers are quite obvious (good electric grenades make one large fairly controlled explosion, evil ones split into several grenades causing widespread chaos and killing innocents). You can obviously string attacks together, it's pretty awesome, I shocked someone, force pushed them off a roof jumped into the air and hit them and then followed them to the ground and pulled off a thunder drop as he went down with me, it was an awesome combo of rape.
The city is nicely put together, it has character and the buildings are believable, they aren't flat boring buildings, they have crenelations and adverts and varied lighting and constructions on them. Oh the lighting in the game is good as well, flashes of blue/red whenever you use your attacks.

Cole can climb anything as well and that really is great, I found it more enjoyable than Assassins Creed climbing, mostly because it was quicker but also because you are free to climb more objects and it just works so well; the rest of the movement techniques are fantastic as well, Cole can grind cables and train tracks and also hover/glide through the air. It flows so well to run across a building roof, jump off, glide to a cable, grind it, leap off and grab a building, climb up and then continue the flow of movement. Zeden will definetely get what I mean here (and others too I imagine) but I found traversing the city to be as fun as it was in Spider Man 2; and thats probably the biggest praise I can give it.

So yeah very much looking forward to this.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post May 21 2009, 09:45 PM
Post #3084

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (Atara @ May 21 2009, 07:46 PM) *
If you like MGS3 and have not played 4, at what stage did it become so silly that you stopped liking it?

1 and 3 are simple enough to still seem plausible (though I hasten to use that term, especially with the bosses in 3). 2 is good and all, but the whole series is a bit up its own arse and always has been.

1 and 3 are the best because they tell a good story with some nice twists, but not so caught up in itself as to become utter nonsense. I enjoyed 2, but there's just something off about it.

They're all good games, they just have a habit of becoming ridiculous at points, and not always in a good way. There's a very good comic about 3 which I wish I still had the link to.

+Quote Post
logger
post May 22 2009, 01:28 AM
Post #3085

Guests

QUOTE (NiteFall @ May 18 2009, 08:32 PM) *

Bum. sad.gif

+Quote Post
zeden
post May 22 2009, 06:44 AM
Post #3086

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

QUOTE (logger @ May 22 2009, 02:28 AM) *
Bum. sad.gif

That's a bit of a cheeky move isn't it? One countdown is enough dammit!

MGS has always had an appeal to me throughout the series, though I for one love the incredibly convoluted plot. Testament to that is the fact that I've only ever finished one of the games, MGS4, and that's because it didn't force stealth on me all the time and managed to have one of the most difficult to follow plots I've ever known.

Just had a thought, I think it would be a pretty good idea for any future cut scene heavy games to have an on screen message telling you how long the scene is, perhaps a time marker when you paused the screen or something. It'd save a lot of frustration from waiting to quit when a scene runs on and on without warning or pre-scene save point.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post May 22 2009, 08:31 AM
Post #3087

Serenity.

I agree with that, it'd be nice to know if you have the time/inclination to watch the whole thing as you may be waiting to go out etc.

The loading symbol for the flash page has changed to thunder clouds, I'm fairly certain the symbols are the same as the ones in MGS4 that show the weather etc. In fact I'm sure I've seen a website which has found all the symbols.....the last of which is an exclamation point.

+Quote Post
Atara
post May 22 2009, 08:33 AM
Post #3088

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

Cheeky timer...still says '5' though.

It is pretty to look at, though

Oh, it is also coming up with 'E' '3' and what looks like a lower case 'e'

This post has been edited by Atara: May 22 2009, 08:37 AM

+Quote Post
zeden
post May 22 2009, 08:37 AM
Post #3089

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

QUOTE (monkeyman @ May 21 2009, 09:03 PM) *
Zeden will definetely get what I mean here (and others too I imagine) but I found traversing the city to be as fun as it was in Spider Man 2; and thats probably the biggest praise I can give it.

You've got me interested sir. Do you know if the demo is on Live?

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post May 22 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #3090

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

QUOTE (zeden @ May 22 2009, 09:37 AM) *
You've got me interested sir. Do you know if the demo is on Live?

It's PS3 Exclusive. I got it mixed up with Prototype which comes out in a few weeks and seems quite similar in some respects.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 204 205 206 207 208 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 02:22 AM