Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
Llama
post Aug 9 2008, 10:42 AM
Post #316

Learning to walk again

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,956

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 8 2008, 07:12 PM)
It's very, very good and fun, but works best in small doses because the gameplay is very much "walk along, trigger enemy spawn, take cover and kill them all, move on". The missions are slightly varied and have some great moments, and it's extremely bloody.

Also best played in Co-Op (not the supermarket) if you can.
QUOTE (Everlong @ Aug 8 2008, 10:16 PM)
Wave goodbye to your social life cos this game is addictive on live!

Well, glad to hear all I heard about it seems to be true happy.gif I think I'll try to get my brother in on co-op so we can learn all the controls and stuff together, then bust out the Live!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Aug 9 2008, 11:03 AM
Post #317

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Aug 8 2008, 11:04 PM)
So, I picked up the Police Quest collection for $6 the other day, but I'm a little hesitant to try it, because my memories of most Sierra adventures involve quite a lot of dying and reloading...

I'm not really keen on the whole trial-and-error thing, when it comes to what should be simple tasks, like walking across the street.

That's why I preferred Lucasarts ones, because you couldn't die in most (any?) of them.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Aug 9 2008, 01:15 PM
Post #318

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (Everlong @ Aug 8 2008, 10:16 PM)
Wave goodbye to your social life cos this game is addictive on live!

Personally I thought Gears of War was absolutely terrible on live. The host has such a massive advantage, the game modes all seem to be exactly the same, and the slow, clunky pace that worked great in single player just didn't translate very well to a multiplayer game for me.

QUOTE (Atara @ Aug 9 2008, 08:44 AM)
I found this too, I thought I was a genious, flying through expert on the drums ... for a while, then suddenly the bass pedal goes crazy and I have to hit it at all different times and I can't cope. Medium is fine for some songs, but can sometimes be ridiculously easy, but then going up a step suddenly makes its solid.

I really need to get back to playing it, it is good fun but not touched it for ages.

The problem I have with medium is because if I know the song well, I know how the drums should go and where the difficulty level removes hits to make it "easier" I end up still putting them in anyway because it sounds right to me and it says I've fucked up.

+Quote Post
Atara
post Aug 9 2008, 01:27 PM
Post #319

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 9 2008, 02:15 PM)
The problem I have with medium is because if I know the song well, I know how the drums should go and where the difficulty level removes hits to make it "easier" I end up still putting them in anyway because it sounds right to me and it says I've fucked up.

That kind of happens to me, but my knowledge of the song and my actual skill when I go onto hard or expert clash a little.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Aug 9 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #320

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 9 2008, 07:03 AM)
That's why I preferred Lucasarts ones, because you couldn't die in most (any?) of them.

Well, at least post-Monkey Island. If I recall, death, or at least failure, was still a threat in Maniac Mansion and their other earlier adventures. And they did play that cruel, near-death joke toward the end of The Secret of Monkey Island... Brilliantly executed, though.

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 9 2008, 09:15 AM)

Yeah. I find that to be the case with "Tom Sawyer," at least.

It would also be easier to have some sort of visual indicator as to which pad controls which part of the drum kit. As it stands, my solos and fills tend to consist mostly of wild thrashing, mostly on the green pad, 'cos that's what you need to hit to get the bonus points...

I just can't remember which is which, at least not enough to make any sense of a solo. I guess that'll come with time.

+Quote Post
bump909
post Aug 9 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #321

One Pinter

Member No.: 6,665

Maniac Mansion.. what a great game. I remember buying an early copy when I was a kid. The early version allowed you to place a hamster in the microwave and blow it up. It was hilarious.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Aug 9 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #322

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 9 2008, 02:15 PM)
Personally I thought Gears of War was absolutely terrible on live. The host has such a massive advantage, the game modes all seem to be exactly the same, and the slow, clunky pace that worked great in single player just didn't translate very well to a multiplayer game for me.

Yeah, multiplayer's a bit rubbish I think. The Co-Op campaign is very good though, and works better than just playing alone.

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Aug 9 2008, 03:00 PM)
And they did play that cruel, near-death joke toward the end of The Secret of Monkey Island... Brilliantly executed, though.

I can't remember exactly what that was, though I do remember something catching me out for a moment there...

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Aug 9 2008, 09:07 PM
Post #323

Candygram!

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 9 2008, 11:26 AM)
I can't remember exactly what that was, though I do remember something catching me out for a moment there...

Here's a refresher...

I think I'll go grab Gears tomorrow. I've been waiting for it to come down to $20-30, and Circuit City will have it for $30 all next week...

This post has been edited by Omniscia: Aug 9 2008, 09:07 PM

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Aug 10 2008, 11:44 AM
Post #324

Your link doesn't work...

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Aug 10 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #325

Candygram!

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 10 2008, 07:44 AM)
Your link doesn't work...

Damn it! Try this, then...

+Quote Post
grumpygit
post Aug 10 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #326

Fur Pinter

Member No.: 6,661

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Aug 10 2008, 03:21 PM)
Damn it! Try this, then...

Ooooh! That brings back some good/bad/frustrating memories.

What was I thinking of when I sold my old PC games all those years ago? wacko.gif

This post has been edited by grumpygit: Aug 10 2008, 06:31 PM

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Aug 10 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #327

QUOTE (grumpygit @ Aug 10 2008, 07:30 PM)
Ooooh!  That brings back some good/bad/frustrating memories.

What was I thinking of when I sold my old PC games all those years ago? wacko.gif

Most of them wouldn't work now, anyway.

It's only thanks to things like SCUMMVM and DOSBox that certain old games can be played. I don't class Half-Life as an "old" game, but that doesn't work on modern PCs and you have to download the files off Steam instead.

It's one of the few things I really don't like about Windows - the backwards compatability really doesn't work very well.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Aug 10 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #328

Arsebiscuits. 97% complete on Enter Sandman on expert then failed. That's annoying.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Aug 10 2008, 06:54 PM
Post #329

Candygram!

I haven't dared try that one on Expert yet, but I did get to 90% on Hard before it fell apart...

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Aug 10 2008, 08:00 PM
Post #330

It's that shit bit at the end of the song where it all just fizzles out to nothing that gets me. There's a point in the song where I always think "the song should have ended right there" but they just carry on going and make a shit ending.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 03:12 PM