Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
monkeyman
post Jul 18 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #3406

Serenity.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,170

Yeah I know, it'd be a waste but I've always wanted a pair. I probably won't bother to be honest.

Ha anyone been playing Call of Juarez (the new one) I may go and rent it, it looks quite cool.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Atara
post Jul 18 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #3407

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

Maybe ask for them for something, then the expense is not ours.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jul 18 2009, 10:02 AM
Post #3408

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jul 18 2009, 10:38 AM) *
Ha anyone been playing Call of Juarez (the new one) I may go and rent it, it looks quite cool.

I have. It's quite fun, the choice of characters provides enough variety that it doesn't get too dull and the wild west setting does make a pleasant change from generic sci-fi / WWII shooting. The quick-draw bits are bastard hard though.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jul 18 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #3409

Serenity.

I think I'll rent it when I get paid, Batman: Arkham Asylum is meant to be out next month as well, that game is looking pretty awesome.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Jul 18 2009, 05:27 PM
Post #3410

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

I'm kind of wishing I picked Mirror's Edge over Tomb Raider Anniversary yesterday, just for the change. Maybe next time...

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Jul 19 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #3411

Life's a grave, dig it.

Member No.: 2,711

QUOTE (Baz @ Jul 17 2009, 04:31 PM) *
(unless you find the hidden zombie in the porter loo)

Seriously?

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Jul 17 2009, 03:44 PM) *
If by "good", you mean "mediocre at best", I'd be inclined to agree.

No where near as good as the first in the series but it provides decent combat in very pretty surroundings, there could have been a few more combos for each weapon but the fun comes in mixing up the weapons in the same combo. And the boss fights are genuinely amazing (first time round.)

The new Red Faction game is quite good fun, the whole rebellion storyline is getting old now though. Driving through a building is amazing fun.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Jul 19 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #3412

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Jul 19 2009, 04:45 PM) *
No where near as good as the first in the series but it provides decent combat in very pretty surroundings, there could have been a few more combos for each weapon but the fun comes in mixing up the weapons in the same combo. And the boss fights are genuinely amazing (first time round.)

I never played any of the originals. The characters in the story are awful. It also has a tendency to have unnecessarily long cut scenes of the character having fights... Why waste all that effort making CGI movies of something when they could have just had YOU fighting in the actual game. Cut scenes are to progress story, not to make you sit there bored thinking "that's all very pretty, but it could be ME doing this, it IS a game after all, not a movie".

And the camera system... It's like they went out of their way to make it as annoying as possible, fixed cameras that don't allow you do look around at times you most want to look around, cameras consistantly facing towards where you've just been rather than where you're trying to go, effectively making you run into a fight blind, and cameras that cut to the other side, meaning all your controls instantly become reversed and you end up running straight back through the door you just came through.

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Jul 20 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #3413

Life's a grave, dig it.

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Jul 19 2009, 03:59 PM) *
I never played any of the originals. The characters in the story are awful. It also has a tendency to have unnecessarily long cut scenes of the character having fights... Why waste all that effort making CGI movies of something when they could have just had YOU fighting in the actual game. Cut scenes are to progress story, not to make you sit there bored thinking "that's all very pretty, but it could be ME doing this, it IS a game after all, not a movie".

And the camera system... It's like they went out of their way to make it as annoying as possible, fixed cameras that don't allow you do look around at times you most want to look around, cameras consistantly facing towards where you've just been rather than where you're trying to go, effectively making you run into a fight blind, and cameras that cut to the other side, meaning all your controls instantly become reversed and you end up running straight back through the door you just came through.

I liked the stupidly long cut scenes, reminded me of an Anime or something else Japanese. The first one's by far the best in the series, back when Dante was a fresh and invigorating Anti Hero instead of this camp characature of himself he is nowadays. Erm, the new character (Can't remember his name) is a full on whiny annoying tw*t but he has a cool arm thing so I'll let him off.

The controls/camera issues are well mentioned. It's still a good game though, by good I don't mean Call Of Duty good or Metal Gear Solid good, for these games are great. By good I mean it's playable and has some good qualities to it. It's not like that Dorito's shite is it. Very poor.

+Quote Post
UnderSpaced
post Jul 21 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #3414

I'll just wait here then...

Member No.: 4,538

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Jul 20 2009, 04:52 PM) *
Erm, the new character (Can't remember his name) is a full on whiny annoying tw*t but he has a cool arm thing so I'll let him off.

Aww. You didn't like Nero? sad.gif Maybe it's just me because I think his voice actor (Johnny Yong Bosch) is awesome.

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Jul 21 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #3415

Life's a grave, dig it.

QUOTE (UnderSpaced @ Jul 21 2009, 12:41 PM) *
Aww. You didn't like Nero? sad.gif Maybe it's just me because I think his voice actor (Johnny Yong Bosch) is awesome.

He was ok, I just didn't like the generic "Boy saves Girl" storyline of it all, give me Dante and his women any day wink.gif. All voice acting and videos were top notch!

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jul 22 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #3416

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

Has anyone downloaded The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition yet?

I've not had a chance to play it yet, but it looks nice. I can't figure out how to turn off the new style and make it look like the original, but I'm not offended by the new look so I don't mind.

It's only 6.99 on Steam (and presumably a similar value of MS Points on LIVE Arcade), so especially if you've never played it before, it's well worth getting.

+Quote Post
UnderSpaced
post Jul 22 2009, 02:19 AM
Post #3417

I'll just wait here then...

Member No.: 4,538

Is there a fire rate cap for Call of Duty: World at War? It seems that if I fire too fast with like the rifle, Gewehr 43, the rate of fire slows down dramatically. Does the game think I'm cheating or something, because it's really annoying.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jul 22 2009, 07:05 AM
Post #3418

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jul 22 2009, 01:29 AM) *

I've not had a chance to play it yet, but it looks nice. I can't figure out how to turn off the new style and make it look like the original, but I'm not offended by the new look so I don't mind.

It's only 6.99 on Steam (and presumably a similar value of MS Points on LIVE Arcade), so especially if you've never played it before, it's well worth getting.

I have! If you're playing on the PC, press F10 to toggle to classic mode. I think I was far too amused by the "Ask me about Loom" guy being all shinily rendered and voice acted talking about LucasArts stunning new adventure game.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Jul 22 2009, 07:09 AM
Post #3419

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jul 22 2009, 01:29 AM) *

Temptation is high, but alas what little money I have is reserved for Marvel Versus Capcom 2 next Wednesday. Really curious to hear the voice acting though. Apart from Guybrush of course, seeing as he's got the same guy reprising the role as it was in the last few games.

Years after the fact and on a computer that ought to run it perfectly fine it's sad to see Deus Ex Invisible War stutter and look like trash compared to the Xbox version. Might see if I can find a copy of that going dirt cheap somewhere. I can't see it costing more than 2/3 if I scour Gamestation perhaps. Then again, maybe I'd just be better off replaying the original seeing as it's a damn sight better.

This post has been edited by zeden: Jul 22 2009, 07:10 AM

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jul 22 2009, 04:58 PM
Post #3420

Serenity.

Looking forward to Arkham Asylum next month. Also Uncharted 2 in October....and Brutal Legend.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 226 227 228 229 230 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 12:26 PM