> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
maian
post Aug 11 2008, 09:45 PM
Post #346

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (dandan @ Aug 11 2008, 10:39 PM)
well, that was thirteen well spent hours. jolly good fun, if a little scary...
a couple of questions;

would i be right in thinking that i should play it again with the other character?

how different is it?

is it safe to say that i should invest in the other 'resident evil' games, if i enjoyed this one?

Which character did you play with first? The plot is slightly different but the main difference is in how you deal with different situations and what strategies you use, as Jill has less health but can carry more items, for example.

I'd recommend investing in the rest of the series. For my money, Resident Evil 4 is the very best of the series, though it differs hugely to those that preceded it, but the rest are well worth getting.

Also, if you thought Resi 1 was scary, you should play the remake for the Gamecube. That game shit me right up.

This post has been edited by maian: Aug 11 2008, 09:46 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
frostitute
post Aug 11 2008, 09:47 PM
Post #347

faith left me staring at the ceiling

Member No.: 2,846

Just don't play Zero

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 11 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #348

Bully for you

Nowt wrong with Zero. It's a bit by the numbers but it's still a good game.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Aug 11 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #349

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

I'm in a different camp and thought that Resident Evil 4 was rubbish. It's too far of an outing to remind me of the originals, and just felt like an average 3rd-person action game with some Resident Evil 2 names dropped in occasionally.

I always get a lot of flak for saying that, and I'm in a minority, but for me Resident Evil is what 0, 1, 2, and 3 are. It's the tank-like controls, the having to run to an item box because a shotgun and a toothpick take up the same space in your inventory, it's the never quite certain you're aiming for. It's all those negatives that make the game what it is.

Resident Evil 4 doesn't even have proper zombies!

For my two cents, I say get yourself a GameCube and get Resident Evil 0, Remake, 2, and 3. It'll not cost you much because GameCubes cost less than a cup of coffee nowadays, and you'll still be able to play 4 if the ungodly urge should fill you. But be warned, it's rubbish.

Resident Evil: Dead Aim was better than 4, and that's hardly a great game (though it is very fun during its short play time).

Oh, and you can skip Code: Veronica too. It's far, far too hard to be fun (it makes the others look like there's ammo everywhere), and I didn't like the 3D backgrounds as much as the pre-rendered.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Aug 11 2008, 09:54 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 11 2008, 09:56 PM
Post #350

Bully for you

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 11 2008, 10:52 PM)
For my two cents, I say get yourself a GameCube and get Resident Evil 0, Remake, 2, and 3. It'll not cost you much because GameCubes cost less than a cup of coffee nowadays, and you'll still be able to play 4 if the ungodly urge should fill you. But be warned, it's rubbish.

Or, it's one of the greatest games ever made. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Aug 11 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #351

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

Maybe I was just expecting something it wasn't, but that game really disappointed me to the point I was actually sad to have bought it.

I still have it, but it's not been removed from its case since the day I got it.

I'd just rather get some Red Bull and some boiled sweets, turn out the lights, and play Resident Evil 3 all night. That's got plenty of guns right from the start if you choose "Easy" mode (I use inverted commas because no Resi on any difficulty is what I call "easy mode").

+Quote Post
zeden
post Aug 11 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #352

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 11 2008, 09:52 PM)
Resident Evil: Dead Aim was better than 4, and that's hardly a great game (though it is very fun during its short play time).

I know you aknowledged that you're opinion isn't exactly standard, but that's madness. All the light gun spin offs are seriously dire, especially the storylines. I remember playing the first one on the PS (Gun Survivor?)and finishing it in 3 hours, without dying or even being touched by the last boss. They made the trench coat tyrants into pussies. And the ending? Turns out your amnesiac avatar remembers that he somehow knew Leon. That's about it. Great.

I must admit though, I agree about 4 not being a proper Resi game. I played it on the Wii and whilst enjoying the plot and the game mechanics for what they were it really didn't capture the fear of the Plastation originals.
I didn't jump once which was a disappointment, though the bit from Resi 2 where the arms come through the windows the second time you run down the hallway in the police station probably shocked me so much it wont ever be topped.
It's really lacking with those sharp sudden shocks and you never really feel vunerable enough to be worried about dying.
Not having to carry those damned ink ribbons around made me happy though and using the Wii remote to aim made what would have been a game I had no intention of playing far more appealing.

Anyhoo, Resident Evil 2 is my suggestion for an essential purchase. It's twice the game RE1 is, almost literally thanks to the main character storys diverging far more than in RE1 and the excellent B scenarios, plus the voice acting and plot are top notch to boot.
Apart from Sherry Birkin. Damn her. Damn her and weakling, run past every enemy, might as well be a cut scene, sections.

Speaking of Resident Evil, there's a new film on the way. And thankfully Mila Jovovovavich has nothing to do with it. The trailer is here, and I for one like the look of it. Hopefully it'll make up for the diabolical live action offerings.

+Quote Post
weputthemdown583
post Aug 12 2008, 03:44 AM
Post #353

Well, I like them. I think they're good.

Member No.: 6,557

QUOTE (zeden @ Aug 11 2008, 11:53 PM)
Speaking of Resident Evil, there's a new film on the way. And thankfully Mila Jovovovavich has nothing to do with it. The trailer is here, and I for one like the look of it. Hopefully it'll make up for the diabolical live action offerings.

Oh dear god, i just checked out the new trailer for that here....WOW, i love the way they've used the music from the games smile.gif

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 11 2008, 09:52 PM)
Oh, and you can skip Code: Veronica too. It's far, far too hard to be fun

I agree with the fact of it being annoyingly hard (at times)
but i wouldn't say skip it completely, there are some genuinely scary moments in there.

The most scary bits that made me jump out of my chair, would have to be in Resi 2. They both occured during one of the B scenarios, chris's i think....

First one would be when you climb up to the very, very top of the police station to get one of those red wheel thingys. And when you come back down, you enter one of the halls and the music suddenly stops.....then you walk on a bit and that fuckin tyrant Mr X climbs over the banister! ARRRRGGGGHHHH

The second one was when Mr X bashed through the wall shortly after, oh oh and also when that licker smashed through the two way mirror!

This is a verrry long post :S

Finally i thought i would end it with a few foonay quotes from the original smile.gif

1) Jill: But baerry, didn't you say that you were going to the daenning rooom to doo some research? haha

2) Jill: Baerry, don't screw up again like you did when you dropped that rope! (classic)

This post has been edited by weputthemdown583: Aug 12 2008, 03:46 AM

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Aug 12 2008, 04:03 AM
Post #354

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Aug 11 2008, 04:35 AM)
I want to play Rock Band with you all online as well.  In fact, if that's 4 of us then we have a full band there.  Jimmay557 is my gamertag.

Hell yeah! I'm in. The more, the merrier.

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 11 2008, 11:59 AM)
Absolutely brilliant songs coming as DLC for Rock Band tomorrow apparently:

Dream Theater - "Constant Motion"

I don't know if I can handle a Dream Theater track, at least not on drums... I'd worry about my foot falling off halfway through. Labrie's a pansy, though, so the mic wouldn't be too bad.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Aug 12 2008, 07:57 AM
Post #355

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

Played through the first ten songs on the drums on Hard but got caught out by OKGO. I think it was because my leg was tired but the ending just screwed me up completely. I can't hit the red and yellow and then bass alternately in rapid succession. My legs just don't work that way!

+Quote Post
dandan
post Aug 12 2008, 08:08 AM
Post #356

Addict

Member No.: 4,256

thanks everyone...

i have a gamecube already, so i played the spruced up version of the original game through (with jill) and it was a lot scarier than i remember, when i used to see a mate of mine playing it on his playstation. as far as i'm aware, it only looks better and has better voice acting; there's nothing fundamentally different about the game itself, right?

i shall play the game with chris, now that i know what i'm doing, then i shall move on to 'resident evil 2'...

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Aug 12 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #357

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

Nobody seems to have mentioned Resident Evil Nemesis which I thought was one of the best. The way that Nemesis kept on chasing you regardless of whether you changed rooms or not made it really intense. Far more so than the other games where you could just change rooms and none of the zombies would follow you. I haven't played it since it first came out though.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Aug 12 2008, 10:03 AM
Post #358

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 11 2008, 10:52 PM)
I'm in a different camp and thought that Resident Evil 4 was rubbish. It's too far of an outing to remind me of the originals, and just felt like an average 3rd-person action game with some Resident Evil 2 names dropped in occasionally.

I always get a lot of flak for saying that, and I'm in a minority, but for me Resident Evil is what 0, 1, 2, and 3 are. It's the tank-like controls, the having to run to an item box because a shotgun and a toothpick take up the same space in your inventory, it's the never quite certain you're aiming for. It's all those negatives that make the game what it is.

Resident Evil 4 doesn't even have proper zombies!

Oh, and you can skip Code: Veronica too. It's far, far too hard to be fun (it makes the others look like there's ammo everywhere), and I didn't like the 3D backgrounds as much as the pre-rendered.

I would actually agree with you on every point. I enjoyed resident Evil 4 the first time I played it, the atmosphere was great, but it really didn't feel like a Resi game, it doesn't even have proper zombies.
Resident Evil 2 is the best of the series.

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Aug 12 2008, 09:10 AM)
Nobody seems to have mentioned Resident Evil Nemesis which I thought was one of the best.  The way that Nemesis kept on chasing you regardless of whether you changed rooms or not made it really intense.  Far more so than the other games where you could just change rooms and none of the zombies would follow you.  I haven't played it since it first came out though.

It is very good, I like the picking up of different gunpowders that you can mix up to make whatever ammo you want. I also enjoyed that when you played it on harder difficulties, whenever you got the Nemesis down he would drop weapon parts for some awesome ubiqe weapons.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Aug 12 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #359

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (dandan @ Aug 12 2008, 09:08 AM)
thanks everyone...

i have a gamecube already, so i played the spruced up version of the original game through (with jill) and it was a lot scarier than i remember, when i used to see a mate of mine playing it on his playstation. as far as i'm aware, it only looks better and has better voice acting; there's nothing fundamentally different about the game itself, right?

i shall play the game with chris, now that i know what i'm doing, then i shall move on to 'resident evil 2'...

There is actually quite a lot of the game that is different from the original, including a lot of new areas and quite a few new enemies. Shinji Mikami (the Resident Evil creator) claims that it is about 70% different from the original. There are some great new scares, I think that Lisa Trevor is one of the creepiest characters I've ever come across.

As for the other games Resident Evil 2 & 3 are fantastic fun, despite looking very ropey these days. I love all the others too, even Zero. It has to be remembered that ammo is sparse for a reason, you can't just go around blowing holes in everything you see and I've always enjoyed that constant worry you have of not having enough bullets for the next monster. It wouldn't be survival horror otherwise.

I might have to revisit one of the older games again soon...

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Aug 12 2008, 03:23 PM
Post #360

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

But sometimes you just want to blow away a horde of zombies.

That's why I like Typing of the Dead.

This post has been edited by Omniscia: Aug 12 2008, 03:23 PM

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 26 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 09:18 PM