Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
Atara
post Sep 17 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #3661

Addict

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,814

Want One Winged Angel Guitar Hero times.

Mmmm I might watch Advent Children Complete again and cry with joy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Sep 17 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #3662

Life's a grave, dig it.

Member No.: 2,711

QUOTE (Atara @ Sep 17 2009, 02:04 PM) *
Want One Winged Angel Guitar Hero times.

Mmmm I might watch Advent Children Complete again and cry with joy.

What's the difference?

Spoiler me up I doubt I'll see it.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Sep 18 2009, 08:48 AM
Post #3663

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (zeden @ Sep 17 2009, 07:44 AM) *
I really ought to get another borrow of that and finish it off. I had the 360 I was borrowing for ages taken away just as I started to hit my stride on it.

Played Guitar Hero 5 yesterday and beyond the obvious problem of having a very hit and miss track list there are a few things to praise it and a few things they appear to have cocked right up.
Firstly the praise. 4 player guitar mode. All being able to play the same track with the same instrument is great as it's taken the "but bass is boring" arguement right out of any multiplayer session. Course, you could play with 4 bass guitars, but who would want to do that? On top of that, it's possible to set up play lists now which you can save. Not that I own the game, but if I did this would certainly make life a little easier seeing as there are only a hand full of tracks I'd touch.
The problems I saw whilst playing were niggles, but ones that'll definitely cause hassle with me and the people I play with.
Number one is a lack of in game option menu in anything but single player mode. Got five people wanting to play and only one of them plays with lefty flip turned on? Looks like they wont be swapping out seeing as you'd have to go right back to the main menu option screen to change their settings after every song. A stupid thing to miss out and a bit of a problem seeing as they're really selling the game based on its improved multiplayer modes.
Number two is the change to my all time favorite feature from Guitar Hero World Tour, GHTracks. Instead of making the huge library of well made tracks already on the server for GHWT available they've gone back to square one, so no more One Winged Angel, no Sonic the Hedgehog tunes and no oddly compelling renditions of Chocolate Rain. To compound the prolbem, it would seem (though I may be wrong) that you can only play these downloaded tracks single player which again is a massive cock up when multiplayer is key to the gameplay. At least they've managed to get the tones in GHTunes much closer to those of a real guitar compared to last time.
All in all, it's Guitar Hero. By now you like it or you don't really.

The thing with Guitar Hero now is that I don't want to pay full price for what effectively is an expansion pack any more. The games are so similar that all i'm getting is a bunch of new songs, a lot of which I'm not going to like and only play once. Guitar Hero 2 and 3 seemed well worth the money, since I was improving at the time and I got a lot of gameplay time out of getting better. These days though I've just hit a plateau where I can finish 90% of the songs on expert on the first attempt without going anywhere near any difficulties below, of the remainder, most of which I'll complete after a few retries, and then there'll be one or two songs I just can't beat no matter how hard I try, meaning I'll never get the "complete the game on expert" achievements. For 20 quid or so I might consider it, but they hold their value. Guitar Hero World Tour is still 40 quid on play, hasn't dropped a penny since it came out.

As for Rock Band, I only ever played the drums on it seeing as though the guitar timing was terrible, and since I've started playing real drums it's fallen completely out of favour.

This post has been edited by Nonus Aequilibrium: Sep 18 2009, 08:51 AM

+Quote Post
Atara
post Sep 18 2009, 09:36 AM
Post #3664

Addict

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Sep 17 2009, 06:40 PM) *
What's the difference?

Spoiler me up I doubt I'll see it.

Oh god, let me try and remember - I'll edit and add any other things as I see them ( May end up being a HUGE post)

Firstly there are lots of little added details into shots that make it look much more shiny, different camera angles. The wholemovie makes much more sense and flows alot better now.

After the 498 years ago scene, it starts with Kadaj and Rufus having a conversation at the abandoned building of Edge. While halfway through talking it goes to 'two weeks earlier' which is the Northern cave bit with a bit more dialogue. Later on you see video footage captured inside the Northern Cave involving Tseng and Elena.

After this there is a new scene in town with some people being all ill. And the bit in 7th Heaven with Tifa and the phone now has a shiny radio in it which is talking about Geostigma.

Extended dialogue when Cloud first encounters Rufus. And the Nothern Cave footage I mentioned, it ends up being a good few minutes longer.

After the first part of the Tifa/Marlene scene the bit where Rude and Reno get beaten up by Kadaj is moved and in in its place is a scene with Reno and Rude talking about atonement for what happening in FF7.

Then is a big scene with Denzel which is a flashback to when Cloud first meets and saves Denzel. He sees Clouds bike outside the church and tries to phone his parents number (I think) with his mobile. I think they maybe died when sector 7 was destroyed, he then calls Tifa and collapses due to his geostigma.

Then it goes to the bit with Reno and Rude beaten up and kadaj goes all Sephiroth at Rufus.

Crisis Core, but in shiny HD, which breaks my heart every time sad.gif

Geostigma's backstory is further expanded so it actually makes sense, Vincents scene after he saves Cloud has a bit extra dialogue now too.

Kadaj's dialogue with Rufus is extended with the weird FF7 flashback bit that was in the original version removed, which is cool as it sort of made it a bit odd.

The majority of fight scenes remianed pretty much the same but there are lots of nice added dust and drit and damage to Bahamuts face and suchlike, but the final fight with Sephiroth is much more bloody and awesome, Cloud gets severely shredded up and stabbed much like he does in FF7 at the reactor, which is seriously awesome. Sephiroths wing comes out much earlier and Omnislash is much more hardcore. The whole end fight is supreme!

There is alot more music in this version, more updated stuff from the game.

This post has been edited by Atara: Sep 18 2009, 10:30 AM

+Quote Post
Atara
post Sep 18 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #3665

Addict

Eeek, the edit took me an age, so it wouldn't let me do it. Below is the full post.

QUOTE (Atara @ Sep 18 2009, 10:36 AM) *

After the 498 years ago scene, it starts with Kadaj and Rufus having a conversation at the abandoned building of Edge. While halfway through talking it goes to 'two weeks earlier' which is the Northern cave bit with a bit more dialogue. Later on you see video footage captured inside the Northern Cave involving Tseng and Elena.

After this there is a new scene in town with some people being all ill. And the bit in 7th Heaven with Tifa and the phone now has a shiny radio in it which is talking about Geostigma.

Extended dialogue when Cloud first encounters Rufus. And the Nothern Cave footage I mentioned, it ends up being a good few minutes longer.

The bit where Rude and Reno get beaten up by Kadaj is moved and in in its place is a scene with Reno and Rude talking about atonement for what happening in FF7.

Then is a big scene with Denzel which is a flashback to when Cloud first meets and saves Denzel. He sees Clouds bike outside the church and tries to phone his parents number (I think) with his mobile. I think they maybe died when sector 7 was destroyed, he then calls Tifa and collapses due to his geostigma.

When Cloud finds beaten up Tifa with added dirt the music has changed to the Nibelheim music from game, much better.

Zack bit is extended with the end scene from Crisis Core, but in shiny HD, which breaks my heart every time sad.gif Sephiroth says things to Cloud from the game about him being a puppet.

Goes back to when Cloud first meets Denzel, he takes him home and them we see the kids in the van being taken to the Forgotten City. That whole bit is extended with more dialogue between Tifa and Cloud before he goes. You see Vincents face in his cape

In town, Cloud and Marlene return and they talk about why Cloud left, Marlene does a barrat impression. Tifa does more fighting, Denzel fights some monsters with a water hydrant and Cloud gives Bahamut a nasty slice up it's eye.

Kadaj's dialogue with Rufus is extended with the weird FF7 flashback bit that was in the original version removed, which is cool as it sort of made it a bit odd.

Shinra crew reunited, bike scene extended - lots of gun fire from helicopter, roads get blown up, bike goes into helicopter etc etc - very cool.

The final fight with Sephiroth is much more bloody and awesome, Cloud goes Super Saiyan then gets stabbed much like he does in FF7 at the reactor, Sephiroth chucks him in the air, his black wing comes out and he flies after him and slices Cloud to shreds. Zack drops by as motivation then cloud goes Omnislash on his ass, a much longer, exterme-o omnislash of super awesomeness. Whole end fight is 100 times better than original.

Everyone showing up at the Church make smore sense when we find out they got a mystical phonecall saying he'd be there.

After credits we see photos of the whole FF7 bunch together and Cloud has moved Zacks buster sword to the church.

This post has been edited by Atara: Sep 18 2009, 12:06 PM

+Quote Post
UnderSpaced
post Sep 18 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #3666

I'll just wait here then...

Member No.: 4,538

Yeah, FFVII: Advent Children Complete was definitely better with all those extra scenes. It really did make the movie feel more complete.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Sep 19 2009, 07:42 AM
Post #3667

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Sep 18 2009, 09:48 AM) *
The thing with Guitar Hero now is that I don't want to pay full price for what effectively is an expansion pack any more. The games are so similar that all i'm getting is a bunch of new songs, a lot of which I'm not going to like and only play once. Guitar Hero 2 and 3 seemed well worth the money, since I was improving at the time and I got a lot of gameplay time out of getting better. These days though I've just hit a plateau where I can finish 90% of the songs on expert on the first attempt without going anywhere near any difficulties below, of the remainder, most of which I'll complete after a few retries, and then there'll be one or two songs I just can't beat no matter how hard I try, meaning I'll never get the "complete the game on expert" achievements. For 20 quid or so I might consider it, but they hold their value. Guitar Hero World Tour is still 40 quid on play, hasn't dropped a penny since it came out.

We're in the same boat it seems. Since GH3 I've made a b-line for the harder tracks and like you say, bar a few stupid ones, it's pretty easy to beat even them. I'm thankful not to have spent a penny on the franchise since GH3 and to have a mate who is crazy enough with his money to buy every new version that comes out along with the track packs.

Picked up my save file from Grandia last night, starting at the begining of disk two. It's not a complex plot, it's not trying to be big or clever, it's just a brilliantly well made adventure tale framing a solid and unique battle system. A truly forgotten classic.

!!!TODAY ONLY!!!
Get the first chapter of Tales of Monkey Island for free!

This post has been edited by zeden: Sep 19 2009, 08:33 AM

+Quote Post
Atara
post Sep 19 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #3668

Addict

I never played Grandia, only Grandia 2

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Sep 19 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #3669

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Did anyone else get Trine from the PSN? It's a really enjoyable 2D platform/puzzler in a nice 3D environment, it really does look good and utilises an awesome physics engine.

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Sep 20 2009, 01:25 AM
Post #3670

Life's a grave, dig it.

Thanks for taking the effort out there Atara. Post must have taken some effort. I might seek it out actually, just to compare the two, the added material does sound worth it.

I just picked up Prototype after reading a review, it's quite good fun with some exceptional features. I don't know if anyone on here has played it or what the general consensus is but I'm enjoying it. It's like Dead Rising meets Spiderman with a hint of Assasins Creed thrown in. It is awfully short though and the storyline was clearly tagged on/mucked about with loads. Still some great sandbox fun with a twist.

+Quote Post
Atara
post Sep 20 2009, 08:22 AM
Post #3671

Addict

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Sep 20 2009, 02:25 AM) *
Thanks for taking the effort out there Atara. Post must have taken some effort. I might seek it out actually, just to compare the two, the added material does sound worth it.

No worries, meant I got to watch it again. I was a saddo and played the original cut in sync on my PC so I could see every litle thing that changed.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Sep 20 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #3672

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Sep 20 2009, 02:25 AM) *
I just picked up Prototype after reading a review, it's quite good fun with some exceptional features. I don't know if anyone on here has played it or what the general consensus is but I'm enjoying it. It's like Dead Rising meets Spiderman with a hint of Assasins Creed thrown in. It is awfully short though and the storyline was clearly tagged on/mucked about with loads. Still some great sandbox fun with a twist.

I'm playing through that now, it's not short if you do all the events before going for each mission. And if you're looking to compare it to something it's basically just a rip off of Crackdown. Which isn't a bad thing, really. It's quite good but nothing really that makes it outstanding. It suffers from a few things, in that Crackdown was well paced in that you couldn't access certain areas until your character was higher level so exploration was more interesting, whereas in Prototype, you can access everything right from the word go. There's absolutely no skill required to climb to the top of a skyscraper, you just point at it and run. And the controls are incredibly erratic, not so much a problem for most of the game but when you're doing the point to point races and you need to be accurate, you realise just how difficult it is to make Mercer even so much as run in a straight line, or make slight adjustments to direction without him flinging himself off in a random direction. I'm enjoying it, but it's no classic.

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Sep 20 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #3673

Life's a grave, dig it.

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Sep 20 2009, 04:36 PM) *
I'm playing through that now, it's not short if you do all the events before going for each mission. And if you're looking to compare it to something it's basically just a rip off of Crackdown. Which isn't a bad thing, really. It's quite good but nothing really that makes it outstanding. It suffers from a few things, in that Crackdown was well paced in that you couldn't access certain areas until your character was higher level so exploration was more interesting, whereas in Prototype, you can access everything right from the word go. There's absolutely no skill required to climb to the top of a skyscraper, you just point at it and run. And the controls are incredibly erratic, not so much a problem for most of the game but when you're doing the point to point races and you need to be accurate, you realise just how difficult it is to make Mercer even so much as run in a straight line, or make slight adjustments to direction without him flinging himself off in a random direction. I'm enjoying it, but it's no classic.

I'm a sucker for a story, I like to know what happens next haha. I do know what you mean, the controls also prove bothersome whilst trying to destroy the helicopter strike teams. I just think that there could have been more done wih the Web Of Intrigue system. I mean you find out what's going on and all but well, it's a bit obvious really.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Sep 21 2009, 07:15 AM
Post #3674

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

QUOTE (Atara @ Sep 19 2009, 11:17 AM) *
I never played Grandia, only Grandia 2

I gather it's available on the American PSN so maybe if you cross your fingers and hope it might just make its way over here and you'll get your opportunity. Course you could just visit that site I showed you and emulate it if you're at all bothered...

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Sep 21 2009, 09:22 AM
Post #3675

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

Finished Batman at the weekend and got all the Riddler Challenges (a real highlight of the game in my opinion.) Fantastic game and I'm now playing through the frustrating yet satisfying challenges. I don't know how long I'll last on them as there is nothing more irritating than chaining together a massive combo and then missing the last punch or getting clocked by someone because you are halfway through a particularly move. However, when you take down a group of thugs in one long combo its an amazing feeling.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 243 244 245 246 247 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 09:20 PM